Mirror Switch

Jalpa_Mike

As most of you know, the little mirror switch on our Countach's is NLA from Lamborghini. This switch was not only used on the Countach, but the Ferrari 512bbi and the Alfa Romeo Spiders from the late-80's & early 90's. The company still makes this switch, but it only controls 1 mirror (it no longer has the little ring that allows you to switch from passenger side and drivers side mirrors).

Anyhow, mine was acting up (didn't matter where the little ring was positioned, when you moved the joy stick, both mirrors would move at the same time).

So, I took it apart and found it to be a pretty simple little switch. I cleaned the entire switch circuit board, making sure there was no breaks in the solder, etc.

I removed the little brass brushes and hit the tips that contact the circuit board with a real fine sandpaper to clean them off. Used alcohol to clean off the entire surface of the circuit board, rubbed on a thin layer of di-electric grease, put the unit back together and "presto". Works like a charm now. Just be really careful when taking it apart, as each of the 4 brushes has a VERY small spring under them.

If your switch isn't working, a good cleaning might help it. And, if any of the solder is worn off where the brass brushes make contact, you can actually purchase silver circuit board paint, and just paint over the worn out areas and that should fix the problem too.

OEM_Switch.jpg

I see miura parts have one on ebay now. BIN $689.51

Pretty expensive if you ask me!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lamborghini...=item5885105660

Cheers,

Bjoern

Yes, and read the ad very carefully. He states in the ad, that the switch pictured is NOT the switch you'll get. All he has is the "single" mirror switch. You can buy the same switch as Ricambi America for $89.00:

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_catalo...diag&I=3578

(item #33)

I purchased one so I could see the difference in the circuit boards between the twin mirror switch and the single mirror switch.

Mike

Technical threads in this section are useful :icon_thumleft: :icon_super: .

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mike, Much appreciated!

Your amazining at the investigative side of part sourcing.

Maybe we should call you, no I won't go there,...Mikegiaver..sorry, went there.LOL!

Its great to read about everyone here having fun working these cars. I can't get enough, sometimes, I just step back and look what's parked in front of me. A dream I never thought I'd chase down.(got caught in the moment)

Thanks Mike, Much appreciated!

Your amazining at the investigative side of part sourcing.

Maybe we should call you, no I won't go there,...Mikegiaver..sorry, went there.LOL!

Its great to read about everyone here having fun working these cars. I can't get enough, sometimes, I just step back and look what's parked in front of me. A dream I never thought I'd chase down.(got caught in the moment)

No problem at all! Glad I can assist in some small way! I remembered what a help it was during my Jalpa ownership to have folks post "tips and tricks".

One thing I won't do is post a "how to smash your fingers in the door of a Countach". OUCH!! I did that last month and ended up with 5 stitches in my middle finger and 4 stitches in my ring finger.

Ouch.jpg

Thanks SLYKMR, Great tip!

OOOHHHHH MAN, Thats Gotta Hurt!......It seemed like you've been quiet lately.

Sorry, but I have to ask, How?

Thanks SLYKMR, Great tip!

OOOHHHHH MAN, Thats Gotta Hurt!......It seemed like you've been quiet lately.

Sorry, but I have to ask, How?

Long story short.... I must not have got the circlip all the way back on the pin when I replaced the struts. And from the the strut banging on it for the last 2 months, it finally gave up the ghost, popped off just as I was raising the door and down it came. WACK! Hurt like heck! But not as bad as the Novocaine shots into the webbing in between my fingers! OUCH!!!!

Mike

Long story short.... I must not have got the circlip all the way back on the pin when I replaced the struts. And from the the strut banging on it for the last 2 months, it finally gave up the ghost, popped off just as I was raising the door and down it came. WACK! Hurt like heck! But not as bad as the Novocaine shots into the webbing in between my fingers! OUCH!!!!

Mike

It now seems to hurt more in my mind after the explanation of what happened. Double OUCH!

• 3 weeks later...
No problem at all! Glad I can assist in some small way! I remembered what a help it was during my Jalpa ownership to have folks post "tips and tricks".

One thing I won't do is post a "how to smash your fingers in the door of a Countach". OUCH!! I did that last month and ended up with 5 stitches in my middle finger and 4 stitches in my ring finger.

Damn dude!