Holy SH%* R8 GT

decent

i'm taking a wild guess that the photographer/creative team who shot the most recent Gallardo Superleggera photo series also shot this... lovely photos!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you still looking at that white R8 that Sprite gave up for your wife?

No point in buying that for $170K considering what this is.

I am holding off now to see what the specs and price of the US version will be (assuming there is one; which there should be).

Mako,

It is NOT the same, the V8 R8's uses the same as the 08 Gallardo, not the 04's, the V10 has the same software and improvements as the LP560, the R8 GT will use the same software as the 570SL, maybe a bit more refined but that's all.

This will be one of the top 3 best all around supercars on the planet, but is it worth the $, I don't know..

Mako,

It is NOT the same, the V8 R8's uses the same as the 08 Gallardo, not the 04's, the V10 has the same software and improvements as the LP560, the R8 GT will use the same software as the 570SL, maybe a bit more refined but that's all.

This will be one of the top 3 best all around supercars on the planet, but is it worth the $, I don't know..

If the price is a concern because of the Audi badge, well, no point in arguing.

However, in terms of competition, well, it's a nice chunk cheaper than the 570, 458, and SLS. And don't look at MSRP prices for those cars. Add the useful options like nav, sensors, stereo and you're already much higher than it. Then begin to add cosmetic stuff that the R8 GT mostly already has and you're even higher yet. The R8 GT comes with pretty much everything that is an option on the other cars.

The price is in line with all the other models too. V10 base R-tronic is 155K. Add all the CF bits, splitter, rear diffuser, seats and CCB (if you can,) that come with the R8 GT anyway, and you'll be just as high. I just loaded a V10 on audi.de and the price was 190K Euro.

Mako,

Not sure about that, here's why. The V10 R-Tronic has been widely panned by the press, in a way that the LP560's e-gear was not. In fact, the LP560's e-gear was lauded by the press for the most part, which hadn't happened before in Gallardo evals.

Also, the changes between the 04-08 Gallardo's e-gear are light in terms of mechanics. Basically with the G-SL you have better materials in the tranny designed to allow the actuators to move more rapidly, i.e. with more overall force, to allow shifts to occur faster. This does nothing for the smoothness around town, or overall competency of the system. It simply shifts more violently in a lower ms time. With the exception of the sintered clutch added in 06 (don't quote me, going from memory here haha), the Gallardo's e-gear was unchanged mechanically until the 560.

The hard part is figuring out what-when-where for the R8's R-Tronic. The V8 definitely without a doubt has the relatively poor e-gear from the 04-08 Gallardo. The press was merciless on it, outright hating it for the most part, which reminded me of every Gallardo review until the G-SL. I thought the V10 would get the 560's mechanically revised unit, but apparantly it did not (bad reviews + Brian's source + logic as it might be a Lambo-designed change).

For the R8-GT, dropping the 560's e-gear system into the car might make sense, as Brian mentioned where are the hurdles? None that I can think of other than the low production run. They wouldn't substitute a revised unit into just one model or 333 units, and disrupt the normal production lines for the V8/V10 models. We know with a fair bit of certainly that the V10 doesn't have the 560 unit so...

It's all speculation but your dealer (where you're getting your comments from) is wrong for the most part. Not an attack on him, just reality. I'm sure we'll find out soon, maybe an Audi dealer tech could contribute on one of the Audi boards regarding the V10's unit. That's really where the question is.

This car is hot.......it totally undermines lamborghini mind you.......but I still want one.

Except the 570-SL looks a hell of alot better IMO.

Is there a history behind this color? Why would they make this one of the available colors? I don't know what's up with these ugly orange cars like this and the auto show one.

audidriven_r8gt_orange_maxoublog.jpg

Is there a history behind this color? Why would they make this one of the available colors? I don't know what's up with these ugly orange cars like this and the auto show one.

audidriven_r8gt_orange_maxoublog.jpg

The history is that it is Audi picking the colors! :lol2:

I wonder if the multi-point seat belts will be available without the race package. I really don't want a roll cage -- prefer the space behind the seats.

003xgm.jpg

I wonder if the multi-point seat belts will be available without the race package. I really don't want a roll cage -- prefer the space behind the seats.

003xgm.jpg

Is that car on a yacht?