"Oil" Warning

ContinentalGT

I had my G serviced about 1,500 miles ago, all fluids, oil, etc from Lamborghini of Bergen County. The past 3 times I've started it up, the "Oil" images comes on my dashboard and blinks for about 10 seconds, before going off.

Any indication as to what this means? There is no leak..no puddles on the ground. Could it be overfilled? Would it really need to be changed again after only 1,500 miles?

Or does the fact the light goes off after 10 seconds mean it was a false alarm/self-corrected?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks fellas!

Have you checked your oil level? The Gallardos sometimes burn a little oil and it may just need to be topped off. Start the car and let the oil cycle through the engine for a few minutes and then check the level.

Does the oil brand matter? i.e.- If I'm unable to get the brand that Lamborghini recommends, can I use another brand of equal quality/spec?

What do you guys use? Where do you purchase it?

Mine has done 1500 since last service, and while I did not have a light on, the Lambo dealer it was at recently said it needed about 1 litre of oil which is pretty normal for those sorts of miles... not sure how much has to be missing to trigger the light though.

For information they used Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 to top mine up. Previous service elsewhere used a different brand, and people on Pistonheads recommend a couple of further different brands, so doesn't seem to be one brand of oil that sticks out to use.

Drive the car for about 10 minutes...Get the oil nice and hot...Park on a level surface...Rev motor to ~2500 rpm for 1 minute. Shut engine, and immediately check oil level.

Sounds like it might be low...And yes, the 5.0 Gallardos do use 'some' oil between changes (depending on how you drive).

You can pretty much put anything in there...I usually use Castrol Syntec. Just find out what weight LoBC used, and keep it the same weight. These engines aren't that sensitive to different brand oils.

Drive the car for about 10 minutes...Get the oil nice and hot...Park on a level surface...Rev motor to ~2500 rpm for 1 minute. Shut engine, and immediately check oil level.

Sounds like it might be low...And yes, the 5.0 Gallardos do use 'some' oil between changes (depending on how you drive).

You can pretty much put anything in there...I usually use Castrol Syntec. Just find out what weight LoBC used, and keep it the same weight. These engines aren't that sensitive to different brand oils.

Thanks Mike! Just spoke to Roman at LoBC and he confirmed everything you said. I'm going to take care of this tonight. Thanks for the help :)

I remember reading in my 05's manual something like the Gallardo can burn 1 liter of oil per every 1,000KM (or 621 miles). Therefore you should check it regularly and top it off if need be. All depends on how you drive the car obviously...

After 4000 miles of aggressive driving and 60 laps on a track, I was low 2 quarts of oil as the low pressure light came on during a corner.

After 4000 miles of aggressive driving and 60 laps on a track, I was low 2 quarts of oil as the low pressure light came on during a corner.

I knew it...I've been on to you for some time now!

No wonder you car is so fast...To keep the weight down you keep it 2 quarts low on oil, 1 gallon low on coolant, only 2 gallons of fuel in the tanks, and you put helium in your tires!

No wonder you car is so fast...To keep the weight down you keep it 2 quarts low on oil, 1 gallon low on coolant, only 2 gallons of fuel in the tanks, and you put helium in your tires!

LOL :thefinger: :eusa_shhh:

:lol2:

Its hard to check the oil once you "think" you've topped it off, because the new oil is so clear. I guess just run it a bit, let it sit, and measure again?

Yeah, just drive around for a bit and let the oil mix, then check.

Its hard to check the oil once you "think" you've topped it off, because the new oil is so clear. I guess just run it a bit, let it sit, and measure again?

It is actually easy to check, even when clear. If your dipstick has holes in it, which most if not all do. Just make sure the oil fills in at least the bottom hole (min oil level when hot) on your dipstick. If you pull dipstick out, and hole is filled with oil, then you are not too low.

That is why they put holes in the dipstick, instead of just bars like they used to on older cars. Much easier to check oil level now.

Just make sure the oil on the dipstick is not oil you are dragging up the oil fill tube when you are pulling out the dipstick. So let car sit for 15 minutes, then check oil level on first pull of dipstick.

I had my G serviced about 1,500 miles ago, all fluids, oil, etc from Lamborghini of Bergen County. The past 3 times I've started it up, the "Oil" images comes on my dashboard and blinks for about 10 seconds, before going off.

Any indication as to what this means? There is no leak..no puddles on the ground. Could it be overfilled? Would it really need to be changed again after only 1,500 miles?

Or does the fact the light goes off after 10 seconds mean it was a false alarm/self-corrected?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks fellas!

Check the level as described above by some of the other guys. If the light still comes on after you top off or your full and it still comes on take a look at your oil pressure gauge to see what its reading. This happened to me on my '04 when right after I had it serviced and it ended up being a bad oil sending unit which was triggering the light to come on. There was no problems with the car, the oil level, or the oil pressure.

Check the level as described above by some of the other guys. If the light still comes on after you top off or your full and it still comes on take a look at your oil pressure gauge to see what its reading. This happened to me on my '04 when right after I had it serviced and it ended up being a bad oil sending unit which was triggering the light to come on. There was no problems with the car, the oil level, or the oil pressure.

My 04 also had a bad sending unit. I have a gut feel this might be the issue.