Klassens FAIL on Murci Fri night

SoBeSean

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So lucky you were not going faster or worse turning into a corner at speed. Glad both you & the car are ok, relatively speaking that is.

Scary stuff, it really does worry you that wheels can do this with no provocation, guess you could get a defect in any wheel and it is unusual, but that said it would definately make you think twice about putting another one from the same manufacturer back on.

Wow :shock: You as so unlucky to have had them break and yet so very very lucky that you are still alive to talk about it. It will be interesting to see what they are going to do about their rims breaking. I am sure it is going to get their attention real fast.

I 've had something similar happen to me after I installed a "off the shelve" set of after market on my daily driver. While I was driving around a corner, the lip of the rear right just broke off.

Ended up having to change whole rear axel.

Thank you everyone for your concern. I appreciate it. As to what happened, people will start to try to figure that out tomorrow (Monday). I'm not looking forward to finding out how much damage this caused and I'm sure that no one is going to be willing to accept fault.

I will keep you posted...

Who painted the wheel? Are you sure the wheel after being put back together was done so properly?

Hadn't really thought of that, but they've done wheels for me before and no problems... It was a wheel repair place and not a body shop. It seems to me that if they didn't attach the barrel to the center properly, the failure would have been... different. I don't know... It's something to look into. Thanks for the idea.

Who painted the wheel? Are you sure the wheel after being put back together was done so properly?

That's actually a very good point. Blame is and accountability are going to be pushed from one place to another. The wheel manufacturer is going to claim that the painter/installer is at fault. He will have a good point as it looks as though you had the whole wheel painted. Man, good luck with all this, sorry to see it. Didn't the same thing happen to Wayne's Dymag's?

C

Things happen. Sometimes shit happen. There was something wrong when the wheel was made. Sure something to investigate and you need new set from the manufacturer, at least. Lucky thought that it happened at 80mph and not at 160mph :)

I am so glad you're ok! That is just horrible looking.

With a good lawyer, you will do fine.

Please describe what this sounded like and felt like when it failed. It must have been an extraordinary experience (not the good kind, but the pucker kind).

Where the failure took place looks like it was wheel failure due to poor design. 99% of failure in this area is from the thickness of spoke/design not being sufficient enough to hold vehicle weight. If the wheel manufacturer tests their wheels, the cornering fatigue test would of alerted them of this problem. Usually it starts with a very small hairline crack in one spoke, then it gets bigger and bigger. Once the crack starts, then it puts more stress on the surrounding spokes until you have total failure. If the lug nuts were not tightened enough, the wheel would have wobbled and pulled off the hub, then broke the spokes. The hub area would have been mauled (chewed up looking)

In any case, count your blessings that you are still alive and well........ the car can be fixed.

I would start by asking the wheel company for its tests on that particular design. If tested, they should provide you with cornering fatigue and rotary fatigue tests that show 1 million revolutions at 110% of load factor. This test should also provide at what point the failure took place. if your wheels are that new, I doubt any testing took place whatsoever. This is just my 2cents from my 15 years in the wheel industry at the manufacturing/distribution level.

Best of luck....the car looks like it was gorgeous too.

-JODAOR

Guest Rob Burgundy

Its on the left side right? Have you recently put on any extra weight? :icon_mrgreen:

Ok..

1: the wheels were purchased from Klassen dealer but had come of a 640 with a coue thousand miles on it. Wheels were inspected upon arrival and there were no (visible) flaws. They had already been painted black - I painted the barrels only.

2: how'd it feel? I felt a slight vibration from the rear of the car - almost Luke uneven pavement - and started to move from the lane to smooth out the ride.. Then a load bang, the RR dropped, kicked out, I countersteered, slowly backed out of throttle and got the car to shoulder. It felt like my RR wheel had all of a sudden become a piece of steel. Control was limited, but I didn't panic and tried to keep the cars attitude correct till I could get it off the freeway and stopped.

When I got out, I expected the entire RR pf the car to be gone...

I'm amazed at what little other damage there is. The caliper and the fender look like they're unharmed.

Caliper is done for :(

And some else asked what now... Stock or HRE.. Haven't decided. I'm not sure what Klassen could do to make me feel comfortable about running their product at 200mph....