Suggestions for a Gold watch?

ContinentalGT

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a nice gold watch. It has to be just right. I don't want something that is gaudy or 'bling'. Just a very subtle and classy/timeless wristwatch.

You usually see people in their 40's-50's++ wearing nice gold watches and pulling it off with class. I am younger and want to be able to do the same. I also dont want people to glance and think I bought it from the corner jewelry store where all the ghetto folk buy their $50.00 70mm bling watches.

I currently own a AP ROO, Black/Black. I want to try a new brand to bring some variety to my collection. Rolex or Patek maybe?

I'd love to see your recommendations.

Thanks,

Joe

my first choice would be AP ROO rose gold rubberclad but unfortunately it will run you more than $15k, maybe you can replace your current AP.

You are kind of limited in that price range but my suggestion would be: Rolex Daytona solid gold: You should be able to find a really nice one for around 15k, classic watch and will always look good imo.

If that does nothing for you, IWC portugese or a Patek 5035 or 5036 . I haven't kept up with the prices on the Pateks lately but i think you should be able to acquire a decent 5035 or 5036 between 15 to 20k . Market is soft for all high end watches and it is a buyer's market so the most important thing is for you to decide on a watch that you like and go for it.

Whatever you do, don't go for a bullshit brand lol .

You are kind of limited in that price range but my suggestion would be: Rolex Daytona solid gold: You should be able to find a really nice one for around 15k, classic watch and will always look good imo.

If that does nothing for you, IWC portugese or a Patek 5035 or 5036 . I haven't kept up with the prices on the Pateks lately but i think you should be able to acquire a decent 5035 or 5036 between 15 to 20k . Market is soft for all high end watches and it is a buyer's market so the most important thing is for you to decide on a watch that you like and go for it.

Whatever you do, don't go for a bullshit brand lol .

I really appreciate those suggestions. My struggle has been with the question "is there such thing as too much gold?"

If you wouldn't mind, could you give feedback on the below:

Take for example:

rmdaytonaygwhite5199_front.jpg VS. S12419-2.jpg

Also, what are the thoughts on a Rolex President (below) vs a Daytona? Does the Daytona hold value better?

rmpreswhitemop825209_front.jpg

I'll forward this to my grandpa and get back to you. Or you could send me $100 and I'll ship you every famous gold watch available and all made with real, 100% Chinese gold ;)

All kidding aside, gold is hard to pull off for young people. I like some gold watches but can't bring myself to buy one. Just looks goofy on my wrist.

Some thoughts on your dilemma:

Every time I see a gold watch on a young person, I think it's just a fake gold watch because most gold watches are fake and most young people can't afford real ones -- hell, most older people can't afford them either. Coming from someone (me) who doesn't even care about what a watch is made of, that's probably a good indication that most people will think it's from your local corner store. Any time a young person has something expensive that could be fake, most people will think it is, whether it's gold, diamond, silver, snake, or unobtainium. That's just playing the odds, really. The only reason no one looks at your current watch as a fake is because it probably just looks like a regular watch that could be had for $50 at your local corner store. If they aren't into watches, they probably don't know what an AP ROO looks like anyway and you could probably tell them it's a Swatch and they'd believe you.

Also, the gold watches in those photos probably look nothing like that under real lighting conditions. Best to just go try a bunch on.

I've always been surprised that I never saw the Daytona mentioned in other watch threads on LP. After all, it is a watch for drivers. I would not go with the President, as it is definitely for someone older. The all gold Daytona is too much gold. Plus it costs around $30K, unless you are looking for preowned. The steel and yellow gold looks better, and is more in the $15K price range you're looking for.

When I was shopping for a Rolex, I didn't like most of the models (including the President) because they have a little magnifying bubble for the date. They really look like they're for old men....I can see fine and don't need a magnifying glass!

I definitely recommend the steel and yellow gold Daytona with mother of pearl dial and gold Roman numerals. It is the one I bought and it looks incredible without looking gaudy. With the chronograph and two tone style (and bolder links compared to the President), it is styled for a younger person. I couldn't find any decent pictures of this model to post...check it out in person at a jeweler. It looks great even with typical inside lighting, but out in the sunlight it looks amazing.

Out of the ones you posted I like the one with the leather strap the most. Still not sure I would buy it though, since I am young too and not sold on Gold watches.

Hublot Big Bang in rosegold :icon_thumleft:

P1010065.jpg

I like it, but I don't know if its the avenue I'm looking to go down right now. It's definitely a watch I want and will eventually get. I'd really like to sell myself on something with a gold strap (maybe leather) right now. I just need to find the right one for me.

Rolex President (Rose Gold)

Picture%20or%20Video%20NOVEMBER%202006%2

I was looking at the Daytona in Rose Gold, didn't think to look at the President. It's nice! I think my best course of action may be to go to the local Rolex dealer and see some of these in person..

yep that is the one I was thinking about. also was considering that one with the diamonds instead of the roman #,

is that too much bling?

besides not too many people wear the rose gold and atleast for me that makes in more unique

If you're afraid it will look tacky, how about getting one with a matte gold strap instead of a shiny/leather one? Good luck

I tried that one - its FANTASTIC!

Yes, indeed :icon_thumleft: Especially the KING with the sexy bezel, I love mine and I'm allready on my second Hublot, looking for my third :lol2:

post-9294-1283779192.jpg

Yes, indeed :icon_thumleft: Especially the KING with the sexy bezel, I love mine and I'm allready on my second Hublot, looking for my third :lol2:

after thinking about this thread I went to look at the newest Hublots. I`m now almost sold on this watch. I have a 41 and never thought my thin wrists would suit a 48 but it really looked fine.

Rose gold hublots to me are some of the best looking watches out there - AP are great but you these are a little more edgy I think, although I do like the AP SURVIVOR for its out there looks.

BBKP.jpg

Go for it Donnie! I personally don't like the KING Power but I must say the one you posted is the best of them..

I have the KING 48mm in rosegold and the Ice Bang in 44mm, the one I want now is the ALL BLACK KING, it looks awesome in real life :icon_thumleft:

IMO, AP has nothing on the Hublot designwise, heritage and crap like that I don't care for, in that case, we would all be driving Ferraris rather than Lambos...

In real life the watch I posted is stunning - the carbon fiber is really lively. The ALL BLACK I agree does look awesome but I find my BB Tantalum hard enough to read without trying to get used to the All Black ! I see the BBKP as my next watch with the AP survivor in high position for my third watch.

heritage and crap like that I don't care for, in that case, we would all be driving Ferraris rather than Lambos...

true

I have the Rolex Daytona with the brown leather strap. Very nice and quite understated.

Another one that looks better in real life than in pics, the Newman models are sharp (not mine, pulled from the web):

RolexDaytona_116518_PaulNewman_01.jpg

RolexDaytona_116528_PaulNewman_01.jpg