Things that make you say DAMN!

88 1/2 QV

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Submarines scare the shit out of me. I'd never get into that thing.

Me too. I've been on tours of WWII subs but I could never serve. Half the guys I work with are Nuclear Navy guys and subs were their homes. They tell crazy stories and claim it isn't that bad but I was not cut out to live under the water like that.

Me too. I've been on tours of WWII subs but I could never serve. Half the guys I work with are Nuclear Navy guys and subs were their homes. They tell crazy stories and claim it isn't that bad but I was not cut out to live under the water like that.

Yeah the dude in the Navy gear is a nuclear propulsion engineer, he's been at this for a couple years now and doesn't mind it. I would have taken a carrier over the sub everyday of the week. But I have to say, smoking a cigar on the deck of a sub at sea is pretty bad ass.

Subs are amazing. I helped build a few and I can tell you these things are built unbelievably capable. They can take a direct hit and still function as normal due to compartmentalization, the same used in vessels to keep subsurface punctures from meaning certain death. The newer NGC Virginia class nuclear subs are an engineering miracle. They can go about 30 knots, stay submerged literally until the 100+ staff runs out of food and have a core that can probably run 40+years. What's not love about these things?

Best

Subs are amazing. I helped build a few and I can tell you these things are built unbelievably capable. They can take a direct hit and still function as normal due to compartmentalization, the same used in vessels to keep subsurface punctures from meaning certain death. The newer NGC Virginia class nuclear subs are an engineering miracle. They can go about 30 knots, stay submerged literally until the 100+ staff runs out of food and have a core that can probably run 40+years. What's not love about these things?

Best

The lack of available sunlight.

Best

The thought of sinking to the bottom of the ocean with no way to surface until the 100+ staff runs out of food

Best

giant squid. farts.

The lack of available sunlight.

That part would fcuk with me more than fear of anything else. I don't even like the gloomy winter time and I live in fcuking southern California. :lol2:

Best

You helped build a few subs? You work for a defense contractor or something? BTW, I thought the top-speed of these subs is classified...? Just curious as I love submarines from an engineering standpoint.

The night sky of 3,000,002,010 AD (Andromeda Galaxy and the Milky Way are on a collision course):

CASnb.jpg

I read one story on a forum a story about how the submarine drivers messed up and they accidentally angled it way too far forward and had to correct the angle (like angled downwards more than 45 degrees). I also read a story of how the refrigeration coolant or gas or something like that broke and started flooding the submarine and the crew had to go to emergency breathing gear. I could probably handle serving on a modern submarine, but those old WWI and WWII submarines, FORGET IT. Much respect for the Silent Service.

I do very much intend, if I ever become wealthy enough, to build my own personal luxury submarine :)

One of my favorite books is Jules Vernes's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. It is really rather amazing the technological predictions he made regarding submarines back then that have panned out. For example the Nautilus has an electric motor drive.

Yeah the dude in the Navy gear is a nuclear propulsion engineer, he's been at this for a couple years now and doesn't mind it. I would have taken a carrier over the sub everyday of the week. But I have to say, smoking a cigar on the deck of a sub at sea is pretty bad ass.

emanon, you a submariner?

You helped build a few subs? You work for a defense contractor or something? BTW, I thought the top-speed of these subs is classified...? Just curious as I love submarines from an engineering standpoint.

Correct I worked for NGC, and they are a great company. They recently got out of ship building all together. To be honest the only reason they even bought into it was for the electronics sector, but had to take it all or nothing. They are back to the money maker now which is their avionics and unmanned contracts.

Best

Correct I worked for NGC, and they are a great company. They recently got out of ship building all together. To be honest the only reason they even bought into it was for the electronics sector, but had to take it all or nothing. They are back to the money maker now which is their avionics and unmanned contracts.

Best

Coolbeans :icon_thumleft:

Sub's are awesome (and so is that pic). But I could not imagine living in one.

A good family friend has done his time in the Navy living in subs for a few months at a time.

For showering, it's always water to wet yourself, shut off, apply soap then wash it all off....no constant water stream. It wouldn't surprise me if it was cold water, haha.

Also, after being there for a few months, he says there's an adjustment to normal life after getting out. He says your visual senses are thrown off a bit since you haven't seen sunlight and horizons in awhile, which would make tasks like driving a car awkward for at least a day.

HOLY CRAP!

A good family friend has done his time in the Navy living in subs for a few months at a time.

For showering, it's always water to wet yourself, shut off, apply soap then wash it all off....no constant water stream. It wouldn't surprise me if it was cold water, haha.

Also, after being there for a few months, he says there's an adjustment to normal life after getting out. He says your visual senses are thrown off a bit since you haven't seen sunlight and horizons in awhile, which would make tasks like driving a car awkward for at least a day.

That's insane. I really give people credit who can live like that for our country's protection.