Fuel guage problem

azlambo

My fuel guage has always been a litte "wierd"...........doesn't fluctuate, but reads various readings at various times

which I know are a little "off": Doesn't always show "completely full", even though I "squeezed out" a full tank.

Always is WAY faster from 1/2 to empty than from full to 1/2. I always figured that was just "typical".

Anyway, yesterday, the guage was reading about 1/8, which I knew was about right. Went to fill up this morning, and

when I started it up, the guage read below empty. Again, I thought, no problem, typical Italian electronics.

Well, after fill up, it still reads below empty, and has stayed there. I figure maybe a grounding problem? How do I get to

the sending wire on top of the tank, or wherever it leads? Any suggestions on how to trouble-shoot? Could it be the

guage itself? If so, how do I get to the gauge on a '99, with the "swoopy" dash? 6.0 might be the same?

My 6.0 is as bad if not worse. Fuel gauge is nothing more than a suggestion, I rely on the odometer (only slightly better) to determine how much fuel I have left.

Hey Jeff! I would call or text Brian. On my 98 Deiablo my fuel went real fast after the1/2 way mark as well. I never let it go under a 1/4 tank per the dealer since they said on some the 1/4 tank could be an empty tank. Sounds like it has to be the gauge or electrical if it is not moving at all. Good luck!

I never let it go under a 1/4 tank per the dealer since they said on some the 1/4 tank could be an empty tank.

Mine is opposite of that. When the "low fuel" light comes on, it feels like I got 1/4 tank left. Good old Italian electronics :D

How big is the tank anyway? Book says 100 liters I think, but I've never got more than 78 liters on (20.6 gallons), and then I had been driving on "empty" for a while.

Ha ha! I just went out to the garage to diagnose the problem, and the gauge is "working" again! :eusa_wall:

Unbelieveable. Has got to be a grounding problem, I would think? :eusa_think:

I have a 99 VT as well and mine will do the samething? It will read emty and the gas light will come on, however, I have more than 1/2 a tank? If anyone knows what the problem is please share.

Thanks!

I have a similar problem on my Murci, took to dealer and lambo tech verified all ground wire good and solid. I mention the fuel sending unit might be bad but he said that's not the case...I left the dealer knowing something is not right with gas gauge.

• 2 weeks later...

The in-tank sender might be corroded, might try replacing it...(had issue like this on my SE30, replaced the sender, all better)

and if you ever let the car sit for more than 1 week make sure the fuel tank is topped off (to keep the moisture off the sender)

-J