Concealed carry gun? Recomendations?

joebiz

KelTec P3AT Vs Ruger LCP.

Almost identical guns with almost zero usage except a 5 to 10 foot range. Which is within arm's length and which makes it a very scary gun to put in the hands of someone who does not exude confidence in bullet control.

LCP is just fractionally better, with the thumb and finger divots being the "leg up" on the P3AT.

They are almost identical guns, and the LCP is $150-200 premium on gun broker

Photo_on_2011_02_12_at_17.21.jpg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For those of you with a subcompact Glock, how do you carry it? What holster and do you keep a round in chamber?

I'm looking at the Kel-Tec 380s for something easier to carry everyday.

I just stick mine in my pants/shorts and go......I know it's a little boys in the hood style but I have tried all holsters and hate them inside,ankle etc.....plus there uncomfortable in my opinion I feel like a cowboy hick.....when I get in the car I take it out and put it in the center console or in the Benz the under seat console.....as far as one in the chamber i don't keep one in ......I keep the trigger pulled in so there are no accidents as glocks have no safety.....if god forbid it's time for business I just cock back once and am ready to role takes about a second.....I even have my wife carrying in her purse with the same method.

O

Kel tec p3at's feel like a cheap pos gun imo. Make sure to handle one before you buy one.

I just about bought the lcp today but I wasn't going to pay full retail for a gun at a gun show.

I've handled one, never shot one. I know a few cop friends who carry them as backups - some even CC them as a primary off duty. They feel cheap, but they're light and thin. And I never pay full retail! :icon_thumleft:

JoeBiz, are you suggesting I don't carry one since they are only for short range? It's easy to get carried away in hypothetical scenarios, but if having an easier-to-carry gun means I carry it more often - wouldn't you say having it on me is more useful than no gun at all?

What I'm looking for:

-Daily Concealed carry subcompact or compact

-rugged (I'm pretty rough on stuff, and I won't use a holster)

-small enough to fit in my front jeans pocket

-semi-auto

-probably a 380, but I'm open to whatever

Guns I'm considering:

-Ruger LCP (Probably the Coyote Special, because I :icon_pray: Rick Perry)

-Keltec P3AT 380

-Springfield Armory XD4 or "3" Subcompact

-Anything else?

As it's been mentioned, if you can find a small 9mm, opt for that over .380. I'm about to get on the Kel Tec PF9. It's a little bigger than the 3AT, but is still the lightest 9mm you'll find while also being 99th percential smallest. You could also wait another month for thr Ruger LC9 to really be imersed in the market. It's in the same range with the Kel Tec PF9. The "compact" Glocks and Springfields do have a larger mag and a bit more prestigious history, but checking the stats they are also considerably heavier and will double in price. While Kel Tec is a young gun (lol) in the market, i hear their customer service is bar none the best service anywhere. I've been doing my homework on this exact subject for months. I'm going with the Kel Tec PF9

Have you looked at the walther? I think a lot of people have forgotten about them but there is a reason the ppk has been around 80 years.

The PPK is a classic, but being all metal frame it's pretty heavy. Their new PPS is polymer and lighter available in 9mm and .40 S&W. It's still larger than the kel tec. Their new PK380 pistol is also larger than other .380s

Not for concealed carry, but I cant wait to shoot this. Father just bought one.... 12 Guage semi auto. Video:

He also bought 2 Saiga 12's

post-679-1297719238.jpg

Nothing gun wise besides a good sniper with a Barrett .50 cal is scarier than a Full Auto 12 guage with a 20 round drum....

Here are the other 2 he is buying:

I carry a Walther P99, its slightly bigger then the PPK (which I also like) but I am more accurate with it. before that I had a glock, but the glock was heavier and when you carry all day a few ounces make a big difference. never had to use it.
+1 I like the P99 in .40. Trigger is a bit odd depending on what gen you get, but it is very nice.

I've handled one, never shot one. I know a few cop friends who carry them as backups - some even CC them as a primary off duty. They feel cheap, but they're light and thin. And I never pay full retail! :icon_thumleft:

JoeBiz, are you suggesting I don't carry one since they are only for short range? It's easy to get carried away in hypothetical scenarios, but if having an easier-to-carry gun means I carry it more often - wouldn't you say having it on me is more useful than no gun at all?

It's a tough deal, I'd have to put 200 rounds through it to be comfortable with it. Just don't pull it out unless you have a ton of confidence with it.

For having "something" in your pocket, nothing beats the LCP. IF it's an LCP or nothing, go with the LCP and burn a lot of ammo because it's a strange gun...

All things being equal it's probably best to just pack a XD 9mm and be a little uncomfortable...

Yeah the LC9 might turn out to be the shiznit... Perfect for CC but capable in the hands of an amateur like myself

I am going to try and catch the Tour of California this year, and if I do, I would love to take you up on that offer.

Dinner is on me if the .50 is provided by you!

• 9 months later...
has anyone heard about the new kimber solo 9mm? looks badass!

The specs are very similar to the Ruger LC9 which I love. Kimber makes some awesome pistols so I wouldnt hesitate to buy one.

the solo is perfect for concealed. I would prefer if they made a .40 just cause a .40 has a little more stopping power, but still awesome!. I carry a clock and that SOB is heavy

I just stick mine in my pants/shorts and go......I know it's a little boys in the hood style but I have tried all holsters and hate them inside,ankle etc.....plus there uncomfortable in my opinion I feel like a cowboy hick.....when I get in the car I take it out and put it in the center console or in the Benz the under seat console.....as far as one in the chamber i don't keep one in ......I keep the trigger pulled in so there are no accidents as glocks have no safety.....if god forbid it's time for business I just cock back once and am ready to role takes about a second.....I even have my wife carrying in her purse with the same method.

first of all, try a Comp-Tac inside the waistband holster - they are fantastic.

Secondly, if you have taken any competitive shooting, concealed carry courses, or know any huge personal safety gun buffs - the general consensus is that you ALWAYS carry the magazine racked with one in the chamber. Most newer guns (1911, Kimber, Glocks, Springfield XD, Walther PPS, Taurus TCP/Ruger LCP) have a combination of trigger safeties plus internal safeties that limit the firearm just "going off" unless you pull the trigger.

The #1 argument, is that if you engage in a self-defense scenario - it is shocking & you hardly know how to react for starters (despite training) and the act of racking the magazine takes 1. PRECIOUS time, especially in a close combat scenario. That half a second could very well be difference between life & death - and 2. it's just one more thing to push your body to physically do. There has been instances that this has actually caused the death of certain individuals (bad guy gets too close or grabs gun, etc)

Most strong concealed carry advocates (and of course law enforcement) carry with a round chambered....

Take it for what its worth pal, its your life....

EDIT: The kimber solo ultra carry looks sweet - I'm going to have to check that puppy out...

first of all, try a Comp-Tac inside the waistband holster - they are fantastic.

Secondly, if you have taken any competitive shooting, concealed carry courses, or know any huge personal safety gun buffs - the general consensus is that you ALWAYS carry the magazine racked with one in the chamber. Most newer guns (1911, Kimber, Glocks, Springfield XD, Walther PPS, Taurus TCP/Ruger LCP) have a combination of trigger safeties plus internal safeties that limit the firearm just "going off" unless you pull the trigger.

The #1 argument, is that if you engage in a self-defense scenario - it is shocking & you hardly know how to react for starters (despite training) and the act of racking the magazine takes 1. PRECIOUS time, especially in a close combat scenario. That half a second could very well be difference between life & death - and 2. it's just one more thing to push your body to physically do. There has been instances that this has actually caused the death of certain individuals (bad guy gets too close or grabs gun, etc)

Most strong concealed carry advocates (and of course law enforcement) carry with a round chambered....

Take it for what its worth pal, its your life....

EDIT: The kimber solo ultra carry looks sweet - I'm going to have to check that puppy out...

:iamwithstupid:

I always have one in the chamber. I am confident in my training/experience and confident enough in the gun (glock 19 gen4) to always have it ready to go. To me, carrying without one in the chamber is like carrying a flashlight without batteries.

I know many disagree, but that is the stance that I take.

im going to pull the trigger on the kimber solo :eusa_dance:

For a good pocket holster look at the DeSantis Super Fly. I have found great reviews on this one and ordered mine last week. Should be here by the end of the week. Ill let you know what I think, but from the reviews it is an awesome holster for summer gear(Florida) and good for on the motorcycle.

Picked this up. Walther PK380 For a few hundred bucks I cant go wrong! Think it will be a great CC I can run some rounds through.

381376_10150500587096554_531726553_10709106_244299931_n.jpg

393691_10150500591896554_531726553_10709154_1043912149_n.jpg

379931_10150500587576554_531726553_10709107_429461584_n.jpg

let me know how that is, i was just looking at one at the gun shop today when i was buying ammo for my beretta. I like the beretta but its a little bulky for when summer rolls back around.