The Underground Racing Turbo Gallardo 240mph Crash Video

GARY JAVO

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miami would be perfect, but as I said, w/o any safety standards the length of the runway is immaterial. For example, many people mentioned high crosswinds. I am a pilot, if the xwind is more than 20 knots I will find another runway to land on. Why did the organizers allow the particpants to make a 250mph pass in these conditions? Last year Holt drove his G for the first time at the event, also w/o a roll cage I believe......

:iamwithstupid: at least have a tier system based on the top speed they are looking to achieve, i believe they have something similar in sanctioned drag races

:iamwithstupid: at least have a tier system based on the top speed they are looking to achieve, i believe they have something similar in sanctioned drag races

In Land Speed Record racing (Bonneville and other events run by SCTA or ECTA), they have tiered systems for both cars and drivers. In order for the run to be attempted for a certain sped, both the car and driver must meet the licensing and technical standards for that speed bracket (usually 50 mph stages... ie 100-150, 150-200, 200-250). As the popularity of standing-mile runs grows, it will be more prevalent to see inexperienced drivers taking unproven vehicles to the edge of the performance envelope; this is a recipe for disaster.

With the amount of money being spent on modifying performance aspects of the cars in the standing-mile events, I should think it to be no big deal to mandate cages, fire suppression, SFI rated seats and harnesses, even HANS devices, depending on the speeds capable of the car. One advantage the standing-mile racers have is the general lack of containing walls, as the most severe injuries at races result from the abrupt change in direction when collided with walls. Nonetheless, it'd be best to see the participants make a push for safety regulations.

Looks to me like he pulled the chute on the gas but hit the brakes b4 the chute was fully deployed (by a slight margin). Freeze the video at 1:12 and you can see the brake lights on before the chute is fully deployed.

Peter

I'm agree with everything you've said except for the first part. Why do you say that Miami couldn't hold the event? The facility is just that, a facility. It is the organizing body that will determine how the event is run, timed, scored, etc. There's no reason why the Texas Mile people couldn't hold a stellar event at Miami. I believe that the short stopping distance at Goliad was the largest contributor to that crash.

I think the answer to short dtopping distance in Goliad is both yes and no (as far as being a contributor to the crash). The yes part is i believe Richard was intending to pull the chute b/c of his 250 runs last yr, he felt he was running out of braking room, car spinning as a result.

The no part is he didn't "need" to pull chute on this run @ 235, so the question is what caused teh spin, then wreck. lastly, the berm, curb or whatever it was more than likely caused the car to get airborne, sans that he most likely would spun and been done.

I can't offer an opinion for all the miami events, but the exotics rally one in may of this year (or april, i dont' remeber) was poorly run, I wouldn't travel across the coutry to go to an event put on by them again.

Looked to me like chute deployed, brakes applied, chute opens.

Looks to me like he pulled the chute on the gas but hit the brakes b4 the chute was fully deployed (by a slight margin). Freeze the video at 1:12 and you can see the brake lights on before the chute is fully deployed.

Peter

Yup...I'm with you guys...Looks like he was just a bit early on the brakes. It's possible that was enough to upset the car with the given crosswinds.

So glad he was not injured. That crash looked deadly.

I think the answer to short dtopping distance in Goliad is both yes and no (as far as being a contributor to the crash). The yes part is i believe Richard was intending to pull the chute b/c of his 250 runs last yr, he felt he was running out of braking room, car spinning as a result.

The no part is he didn't "need" to pull chute on this run @ 235, so the question is what caused teh spin, then wreck. lastly, the berm, curb or whatever it was more than likely caused the car to get airborne, sans that he most likely would spun and been done.

I can't offer an opinion for all the miami events, but the exotics rally one in may of this year (or april, i dont' remeber) was poorly run, I wouldn't travel across the coutry to go to an event put on by them again.

One of the organizers (Top Gun Run) for the Miami Event was looking to work with the TM crew and several other event promoters to create a sanctioning body to which these events can be measured, and assure all events put on by this team follow the same strict time recording standards, and same safety standards. So that there is no question at ANY of the events (When sanctioned by the governing body) IF the time was legit, and IF the strict safety standards were followed. His Miami event used the same technology that Texas uses for their event and also used the newer version of the Tag Heuer equipment they use in Texas for the second event (Where the white Performance Power Ford GT went 252+mph)-both at a great expense.

Obviously the central location at Texas was a great benefit as those from Cali and the Southwest were close by as well as those from Florida.

The main challenge with Miami is right now the County is not open to allowing these events. I believe there will be some sort of petition going out to get these events back in Miami and to allow the county to authorize use of the facility. They also have not allowed a 3 day consecutive shutdown of the strip which is also a challenge if it rains, or if the winds are bad like they were a few times in Miami and Texas.

Huh what a crash, lucky man!

BTW. Did they find out why his car was so nervous under braking last time? I am thinking if there could be something engineering wise to make these more stable under braking. Or maybe that was partially reason of tyres then and now too, going too quick = too hot tyres, no traction at the end?

Just trying to figure out.

I agree with Mr. Vroom's thoughts. Right now the only requirement to drive these speeds is a deep pocket.

Going fast in a straight line is much more complicated than just stepping on the go pedal and holding on. Much like skydiving is much more than just stepping out of a plane and waiting for the ground to appear.

Just wanted everyone to know that Richard is doing great. We are very thankful that the cage did its job along with the other safety equipment. Thanks to everyone who showed concern for him. The car is replaceable, but he is not!

Thanks, Kevin

Just wanted everyone to know that Richard is doing great. We are very thankful that the cage did its job along with the other safety equipment. Thanks to everyone who showed concern for him. The car is replaceable, but he is not!

Thanks, Kevin

Kevin, who built the cage?

ill tell you the next time we do one of these crazy runs, ill be thinking about that crash and probably back off a little.

i still cant believe that he walked away from that.

i wonder if he will be racing at the next one, or if he will hang the gloves.

Guest Rob Burgundy
NBC and some UK news organization want the story. They asked me for a version of the vid without the watermark. Interesting.

Why they will just end screwing it up like every news story about cars. They will call it s Ferrari murcielago and it will cost 800,000.00 lol

NBC and some UK news organization want the story. They asked me for a version of the vid without the watermark. Interesting.

I doubt anything good can come from that

ill tell you the next time we do one of these crazy runs, ill be thinking about that crash and probably back off a little.

If I recall, the last time I was at the Miami strip you rolled in, said a quick hello and backed out, not off. Least you could have done was stick around and sell some insurance. :icon_mrgreen:

hate spin included with story

Why they will just end screwing it up like every news story about cars. They will call it s Ferrari murcielago and it will cost 800,000.00 lol

And say something like, look at the rich idiots blah blah blah wasting money blah blah, no regards to personal safety blah blah blah...then some political idiot will say, wasting money in a recession blah blah blah, pay more taxes blah blah blah...

The media blows.