So according to this

Allan-Herbie

Very true. Even Alex and Dad who are huge AP buffs have bitched about AP's rapidly decreasing levels of service, ultra-slow turn times, and the overall experience lately.

Never mind AP's decresing level of service, QUALITY CONTROL SUCKS FOR SUCH A PRETIGEOUS BRAND: I got crucified over on the purists's site for criticizing AO's lack of quality control and pathetic service department in Clearwater. They are too busy sucking up to AP management and i was told i was the rare exception. So let's see how coincidental this is or there just is a conspiracy to aggravate me at AP's service department:

1- My AP Ro chronogragh stops out of the blue. I send it in for service and tell them it is running fast. Comes back in 3 months, they say a complete movement overhaul after 2 years of ownership which is bullshit as far as i am concerned but i cut them slack. Watch comes back and still running fast. I decide to live with it for the time being. Time being doesn't last long as clasp breaks for no reason. Ok, i send it back to get clasp fixed and to to clean up the scratches and restore the finish. I also tell them it is still running fast. 6 months later, watch come back, new clasp at the tune of $4500 as they take no responsibility for it breaking, $350 for refinish and they missed a few spots where the gold is now discolored and it still is running fast. I send it back saying the refinish job was poor and asked for it to be redone and it it still is running fast. 3 months later watch comes back and it finally looks ok cosmetically but still runs fast. I got so pisse off i solfd the watch.

2- My rose gold Montoya's chronograph needle breaks . I send it back for repair. No warranty again because they don't want to take responsibility for me handling the watch in a rough fashion. It takes 6 months to come back and it now has a nick in the casing that happened at the repari centre. Now i am not happy so i sent it back to clear water with instructions to refinish the watch and polish the gold. 6 months later watch comes back and whatever polishing instrument they used has disolord the gold in some ares and i now have a 2 tone rose gold Montoya. To add insult to inury, the Montoya stops on the way home. I am now pised so i head right back to the AD and have a meltdown and the watch back again to get everything fixed. It takes a year this time and when it comes back back it is finally perfect and dealer feels so bad about the amount of time my watch spent in repair he gives a new strap for free. I sold the watch.

3- My brand new shaq stops after 2 days of ownership for no apparent reason. I sent it for repairs and it took 6 months ofr it to come back. It worked ok after that until i sold it too.

4-I decide to take my Arnold ALL stars out of the safety deposit box to wear it first time since i bought it . It doesn't work period. Again, back to AP clearwater to get fixed and comes back after 3 months and it is working ok . I am now so pissed, i sell it too.

5- i By an AP ROO TOURBILLON SOLID GOLD. Beautiful watch, stops twice in the first 2 weeks. I didn't do a thing as i was going to sell it too but it has been running perfectly since.

These experiences cannot just be limited to me. AP imo is one of top 3watch brands in the world, the look, fit and finish are exquisite but there is no excuse for the poor quality control ,and after market service is a disgrace to the brand.

I have had similar experiences with Patek and in some areas Patek's attitude is so condescending that i am reluctant to buy another timepiece of theirs.

Having said this, i would never buy a fake or replica watch of any brand as there is a mindset that goes with that. If you like something and cannot afford it, save up till you can and hopefully you are buying it because you like it and it is going to give some enjoyment, not because you want to portray an image of yourself that basically is a fake too.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having said this, i would never buy a fake or replica watch of any brand as there is a mindset that goes with that. If you like something and cannot afford it, save up till you can and hopefully you are buying it because you like it and it is going to give some enjoyment, not because you want to portray an image of yourself that basically is a fake too.

Here is the problem with that though. How do you know everyone likes it because of what it is instead of how it looks? Is someone wrong to derive enjoyment from a watch that looks good on their wrist/with their outfit instead of deriving it from having a very intricate timepiece of high quality? Would you ask your wife/gf not to wear an outfit she looks incredible in because it's not the real thing?

There is nothing wrong with your mindset, but there is nothing right about it either. There is no obligation for some to appreciate the quality (or lack thereof) with an AP instead of its appearance. Would you wear a watch that you didn't like simply because of what it stood for? Probably not.

I think that people who wear watches fall into two distinct categories. Those that wear a watch because of what it looks like, and those that wear a watch because of what it looks like and for what it is/stands for. Neither is any more right/wrong than the other and neither mindset really says anything of value about their character. Perfectly good people exist in both.

And no, this isn't intended to be an argument, just a discussion.

And just to comment on all the China related nonsense. Living in places like China and traveling through Asia will give you a very different perspective on this, particularly material things. I'd encourage everyone to try it. I think you'll appreciate things in a very different way afterwards.

Guest Rob Burgundy

@BMWRACER. WOW. AP is very lucky you have given them so many chances to prove there quality of watches and service to you and it seems they have failed time after time. Those are some seriously expensive watches and with a return customer who time after time has had issues you think they would have done everything possible to make it right.

Never mind AP's decresing level of service, QUALITY CONTROL SUCKS FOR SUCH A PRETIGEOUS BRAND: I got crucified over on the purists's site for criticizing AO's lack of quality control and pathetic service department in Clearwater. They are too busy sucking up to AP management and i was told i was the rare exception. So let's see how coincidental this is or there just is a conspiracy to aggravate me at AP's service department:

So rediculous. They should GIVE you an LE freebie just for the trouble, honestly. Can't believe so many mechanical issues and poor quality control, especially with that hard-to-screw-up Valjoux movement in most of the models you listed. If they're that bad for that reliable unit how bad must the new in-house movement reliability be?

I think we don't hear these issues on this scale because there are just so few owners who posess more than 2 or 3 of any AP ROO model.

And yes the purists are worse than F-chat apologists whenever flaws are discovered in models that Ferrari should execute TSBs or full recalls on.

BMWRACER, you are a lot smarter and wiser than I, can you explain why then our whole society seems to be going into "buy things to show off and portray fake image" mode? From fake breasts, hair extensions, pastic surgery, to 30k millionares, steroids, $300 bottles at the club that actually cost $25, mortgage crisis... etc

Why are people not as grounded in who they are anymore and just layer bullshit on top of more bullshit to try and get a "better" life?

BMWRACER, you are a lot smarter and wiser than I, can you explain why then our whole society seems to be going into "buy things to show off and portray fake image" mode? From fake breasts, hair extensions, pastic surgery, to 30k millionares, steroids, $300 bottles at the club that actually cost $25, mortgage crisis... etc

Why are people not as grounded in who they are anymore and just layer bullshit on top of more bullshit to try and get a "better" life?

Going into? People have been like that since the dawn of humanity. It's just more noticeable now because you have access to the internet and overwhelming amounts of information/media. You have more fake stuff now than before, but that's simply due to advancement in technology and the ability to export globally with ease.

On a more scientific level, I think it's obvious why this exists. Animals do it to establish dominance and attract the opposite sex. Same with humans. It's in our blood just as much as it is in theirs, regardless of how far we've come and what ideas we have developed along the way.

Gentlemen, we have --- at long last --- found the official replacement member for our departed "Pantera".

so true, his posts are so negative that I want to jump off a bridge when I read them, I already feel sorry for

his future kids, grand kids if he will ever have any, I can just imagine what a miserable old man Brian will

turn out to be :icon_mrgreen:

In relation to replicas, you really have to be a loser to buy one, I never buy things for "others" the only person I want to impress is myself, where is my sense of achievement, my pride if I buy a replica? they are the essence

of buying something genuine, sometimes a tonne of gold isn't worth as much as an old painting scribbled on a

very old canvas by one of the greats.

I really thought AP was a decent brand but reading the stories on here and also on a different forum just makes me cringe. Just the amount of time it takes to get things fixed would bug me so much.

so true, his posts are so negative that I want to jump off a bridge when I read them, I already feel sorry for

his future kids, grand kids if he will ever have any, I can just imagine what a miserable old man Brian will

turn out to be :icon_mrgreen:

In relation to replicas, you really have to be a loser to buy one, I never buy things for "others" the only person I

want to impress is myself, where is my sense of achievement, my pride if I buy a replica? they are the essence

of buying something genuine, sometimes a tonne of gold isn't worth as much as an old painting scribbled on a

very old canvas by one of the greats.

Why would you call someone a loser for buying one? I may be negative, but at least I am not going to judge someone by whether or not they care about the authenticity of a piece of metal on their wrist. What a joke. Why don't you call the members of LP losers for not just buying 560's instead of bumpers? It's the exact same thing. Whether they can afford a 560 or not doesn't change the fact that they don't want to buy one for whatever reason but want the look of one. There exists appreciation beyond the tangible, and the enjoyment for oneself has nothing to do with you or anyone else.

Just because you take pride in something doesn't mean anyone else does or that they do it the same way. I think it's sad that you can't enjoy a replica watch. I mean, what connection do you have to the real watch anyway? You didn't build it, you didn't design it. No one significant in your life did either (right?) Your only connection to it is that you bought it and you respect it. It sounds to me like you take more pride in the ability to have the watch than you do in the watch itself. If it wasn't, then you would be able to wear a replica and still appreciate that the real thing exists. And that has nothing to do with what other people think. That's yourself.

You speak of art. Did you know that hardly any of Praxiteles (famous Greek sculptor) work still exists? They've all pretty much been lost and destroyed. However, there are many copies of his work and they remain in museums around the world. They were at the Louvre a few years ago for an exhibit I attended. So tell me, does the fact that they are copies destroy what they are and what they represent in history? Do I feel anything less for the copy than I do the original? The craftsmanship is no doubt amazing, but they are far more than the sum of their parts. It would be wonderful and a bonus if I could wake up and look at the stone his hands touched, but even if they existed I never could. However, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate or find beauty in a cheap plaster mold of it.

There are a million example of people having replicas (non-functioning ones too) of things that they just can't have/afford, yet they could probably talk your ear off about the intricacy and all that is amazing about the real thing. That is true appreciation -- the fact that all they need is to be reminded of what it stands for and what it is.

My life would be better if I wasn't so negative about Lamborghinis? Perhaps your life would be better if you could learn to appreciate and take pride in things without actually having them or needing to have them.

Go tell the designer of the RM that you love his watch and tell him all about the internals of it and how beautiful it is. Then tell him that though you can't afford the real thing, you wear a replica because of what the real thing means to you. Let me know how he feels about that.

Brian I am using a pain in the ass computer that I bought in Japan just so I can use the net while I am here, the net provider doesn't have service for my Mac, long annoying and frustrating story, the reason for the above is an excuse as to why I am not in the position of typing a much longer post in which I would take the time to meticulously rip you a new one.

You come across as a smart individual but you come up with the most retarded arguments, I know at this point you would ask WHY RETARDED? You will never be able to see it, no idea why, you seem smart enough but for some reason you always fail to get it.

The 560 front bar on an older G is the most retarded argument you've presented so far, how is that the same with buying a replica watch? you can not be serious, a replica watch is built entirely to mimic as close as possible the original, the 560 bar is purely a cosmetic enhancement, similar with replacing your strap on your genuine timepiece.

I take more pride in the fact that I can get certain things because they help me to measure and reward my success, in the same time I appreciate the things that I am getting otherwise I would be choosing different things altogether.

Replicas aren't appreciated by me because I hate plagiarism in any shape or form, I prefer to look at photos of a no longer in existence original rather than have it copied, just a personal preference.

You seem to misinterpret my art related comment, it was purely made in reply to yours in which you discussed the value of the piece based on the metal that's been manufactured out of, the materials used for manufacturing certain objects don't always impact on it's value.

I am very glad that you are a traveled, worldly individual, visited Louvre in order to see the replicas of the work of a Greek sculptor that us mere mortals perhaps never heard of, you must really love replicas or this Greek guy Praxiteles, quite a mouthful his name I can just imagine how annoying must've been for his mom to call him to dinner.

I think your cheapness is clouding your thinking, must be a sad way to go through life to be honest, these guys aren't buying replicas to replace some unoptainable artifacts, they are buying them to pretend they own something they don't and to portray a certain image.

You aren't only negative about Lamborghini's you are negative about everything and it started to get on the nerves of many people, quite sad if you ask me because you can add some value but at this stage unfortunately for yourself you are considered a bit of a joke.

We mostly come here for entertainment not really to hear the "voice of reason" and it is quite annoying to be always faced with arguments every step of the way.

Have a coke and a smile and... be happy from time to time :icon_mrgreen:

You aren't only negative about Lamborghini's you are negative about everything and it started to get on the nerves of many people, quite sad if you ask me because you can add some value but at this stage unfortunately for yourself you are considered a bit of a joke.

We mostly come here for entertainment not really to hear the "voice of reason" and it is quite annoying to be always faced with arguments every step of the way.

:iamwithstupid:

Guest Rob Burgundy
Going into? People have been like that since the dawn of humanity. It's just more noticeable now because you have access to the internet and overwhelming amounts of information/media. You have more fake stuff now than before, but that's simply due to advancement in technology and the ability to export globally with ease.

On a more scientific level, I think it's obvious why this exists. Animals do it to establish dominance and attract the opposite sex. Same with humans. It's in our blood just as much as it is in theirs, regardless of how far we've come and what ideas we have developed along the way.

I find it almost partially sick that rawr directly asked bmwracer in his post to answer a specific question and mr know it all reads that same post as "brianwilsonuk please tell me what you think" like anyone cares and even reads his negative drawn out post. Listen,I've got opinions about lots of stuff,doesn't mean I have to share every thought that comes to my mind especially when it comes to people I talk with everyday. Talk about shitting where you sleep.

After reading through this thread I now know why I dont wear a watch or a gold chain...my cell phones have the time, no need for a watch...im not into jewlery...

I will have to say though that when I saw how much Charlie Sheen's lost Patek Philippe 5970 was worth, I was intrigued....

Well said fortis. Because I noticed it too. Everytime i see his posts i picture this guy typing them...

42-18675485.jpg

LOL LOL LOL That's exactly what I was imaging.

I find it almost partially sick that rawr directly asked bmwracer in his post to answer a specific question and mr know it all reads that same post as "brianwilsonuk please tell me what you think" like anyone cares and even reads his negative drawn out post. Listen,I've got opinions about lots of stuff,doesn't mean I have to share every thought that comes to my mind especially when it comes to people I talk with everyday. Talk about shitting where you sleep.

so, Brian has the minority opinion here, no biggie. Thats whats great about this forum, even though an opinion is not popular, we can debate, and move on.

To answer your question and trying to be brief , insecurities and attention getting. Take Brian for example. He is craving for attention the same way children do and by being contrarian and negative he gets a reaction from the other members. Now, it doesn't really matter if that reaction is positive because as long as someone is responding to him, it is feeding his need for attention.

Brian I am using a pain in the ass computer that I bought in Japan just so I can use the net while I am here, the net provider doesn't have service for my Mac, long annoying and frustrating story, the reason for the above is an excuse as to why I am not in the position of typing a much longer post in which I would take the time to meticulously rip you a new one.

You come across as a smart individual but you come up with the most retarded arguments, I know at this point you would ask WHY RETARDED? You will never be able to see it, no idea why, you seem smart enough but for some reason you always fail to get it.

The 560 front bar on an older G is the most retarded argument you've presented so far, how is that the same with buying a replica watch? you can not be serious, a replica watch is built entirely to mimic as close as possible the original, the 560 bar is purely a cosmetic enhancement, similar with replacing your strap on your genuine timepiece.

I take more pride in the fact that I can get certain things because they help me to measure and reward my success, in the same time I appreciate the things that I am getting otherwise I would be choosing different things altogether.

Replicas aren't appreciated by me because I hate plagiarism in any shape or form, I prefer to look at photos of a no longer in existence original rather than have it copied, just a personal preference.

You seem to misinterpret my art related comment, it was purely made in reply to yours in which you discussed the value of the piece based on the metal that's been manufactured out of, the materials used for manufacturing certain objects don't always impact on it's value.

I am very glad that you are a traveled, worldly individual, visited Louvre in order to see the replicas of the work of a Greek sculptor that us mere mortals perhaps never heard of, you must really love replicas or this Greek guy Praxiteles, quite a mouthful his name I can just imagine how annoying must've been for his mom to call him to dinner.

I think your cheapness is clouding your thinking, must be a sad way to go through life to be honest, these guys aren't buying replicas to replace some unoptainable artifacts, they are buying them to pretend they own something they don't and to portray a certain image.

Have a coke and a smile and... be happy from time to time :icon_mrgreen:

:iamwithstupid: :iamwithstupid: :icon_thumleft:

This is such a hilarious and somewhat sad thread at the same time :lol2:

how is your REPLICA 560-4 Spyder working out for you? :lol2:

Following Brian's logic, this is a hot date:

dirtyblowupdoll.jpg

I hear Wilson's logic though, even if it's not convincing and we just know better... I guess I wouldn't have a problem with the replica if at least it didn't carry any badging or naming to duplicate the original. If you're truely only after the design and not the name, then in theory you shouldn't have a problem if it said Richard Mille on the watch or Syong Yong.

You may call it posing but a $500 bottle(prices have been going up!) at a club is about renting real estate. If you are with your girl, no one will hit on her, if you are out with friends, you have space to socialize, if you are out with your buddies, a prime spot to pull chicks and plenty of booze to get them loaded. :icon_mrgreen:

Brian Wilson I gave up on you after you went to Montreal looking for fcuking crepes....Got a feeling you spend most of your day living in your head. Also doubt you have done anything substantial in your life (parking your ass in China, listening to Sam Cooke records doesn't count!) So here is some unsolicited advice, contemplation is good, but to live a full life, you need to engage, make goals, then realize them, take chances, and ocasionally fcuk up. If you want respect, it takes action, not talk or talking out of your ass as you do so often.