FYI-Countach Suspension Joint Failure

87-Countach

Ok,

I have been in contact with my vendor, and they are going to take care of any issues. I have shipped them an original joint and a replacement joint to compare the tightness effect. What we are thinking "might" be an issue is the joint bushing inside isn't pressed up against the joint housing enough, causing a "loose" effect. I placed a joint in our press and pressed the edges of the joint further onto the bushing and it makes the joint tighter. I'm not saying this is the problem and solution, just giving some input to the matter.

I'm off on vacation Nov. 25th - Dec. 12th and will update as and when i can, so you may not hear back from me for a couple weeks, but regardless, we're are working on a solution.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Appreciate the info.

If a problem is found, will you ask us owners to contact you for a replacement?

Return old or junk it?

Ok,

I have been in contact with my vendor, and they are going to take care of any issues. I have shipped them an original joint and a replacement joint to compare the tightness effect. What we are thinking "might" be an issue is the joint bushing inside isn't pressed up against the joint housing enough, causing a "loose" effect. I placed a joint in our press and pressed the edges of the joint further onto the bushing and it makes the joint tighter. I'm not saying this is the problem and solution, just giving some input to the matter.

I'm off on vacation Nov. 25th - Dec. 12th and will update as and when i can, so you may not hear back from me for a couple weeks, but regardless, we're are working on a solution.

Kurt,

You might want to pop over to "another board". There is another disgruntled customer. This having to do with a Gallardo bearing:

"""http://www.another board.com/vbforum/f47/muira-parts-ebay-white-racing-fraud-17129/""""

Kurt,

You might want to pop over to "another board". There is another disgruntled customer. This having to do with a Gallardo bearing:

"""http://www.another board.com/vbforum/f47/muira-parts-ebay-white-racing-fraud-17129/""""

Thanks for the heads up.

Posted over there today, he offered us $1000.00 inc. delivery to AU, of course i was going to take it, why the hell not. It's not like 5 minutes of google searching for Gallardo bearing would not have pulled up my previous dealings with the Gallardo bearing matter and that you can use the "K" suffix for the Gallardo i had a 2 page post on the matter with part #'s and cross references for everyone's benefit.

People will be really pissed off when they find out the murcielago bearing is the same, yet it still uses and asks for per Lamborghini the old $4000.00 + style, "K" is used on the 2010, "B" will superceed to the "K" when all is said and done.

Does anyone have any photo's of what a good heim joint looks like installed?

I checked the bushings on my rear sway bar per Greg's instructions, but they looked fine. I'm just curious to see something like a lower Heim joint that is brand new and installed, so I can compare it to mine.

I recall Bobileff having a video of the Blue and White exterior Countach lp400s with white interior. He was showing and explaining how to check the suspension for play......ala screwdriver :)

I recall Bobileff having a video of the Blue and White exterior Countach lp400s with white interior. He was showing and explaining how to check the suspension for play......ala screwdriver :)

Just searched Gary's site. He has some nice video's, but the only one with the Blue/White Countach is showing how it runs after he worked his magic on the Carb's.

Maybe I'll give him a ring today and ask him if he still has the Heim Joint video someplace.

Mike

Just searched Gary's site. He has some nice video's, but the only one with the Blue/White Countach is showing how it runs after he worked his magic on the Carb's.

Maybe I'll give him a ring today and ask him if he still has the Heim Joint video someplace.

Mike

Below is the video.

http://www.bobileff.com/video/Countachsuspension.wmv

• 3 weeks later...

An update, my vendor received the original and remanufatured joints a week or so back. They are shipping us a jig that we can use to clamp onto the joint and compress the outer to put more load onto the bushing, as this is the way the joint stiffness is created.

I will test this when i rtn. on the 13th and send a replacement set out to be tried. Sadly, this will necessitate someone willing to remove their joints, install the new ones and drive the car for a good few hundered miles, so no immediate answer as to how it works, but updates will be provided.

An update, my vendor received the original and remanufatured joints a week or so back. They are shipping us a jig that we can use to clamp onto the joint and compress the outer to put more load onto the bushing, as this is the way the joint stiffness is created.

I will test this when i rtn. on the 13th and send a replacement set out to be tried. Sadly, this will necessitate someone willing to remove their joints, install the new ones and drive the car for a good few hundered miles, so no immediate answer as to how it works, but updates will be provided.

Sure, I can do that. I would probably change out the lower joints first, they have loosened up the fastest. Maybe installing 2 sets would help get the answer fastest.

• 3 weeks later...
Sure, I can do that. I would probably change out the lower joints first, they have loosened up the fastest. Maybe installing 2 sets would help get the answer fastest.

Jig came in today from my vendor, we're going to get working on a set early next week and send a set to you, will that work?

PM your info and i'll drop a set in the mail.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I received tooling and did some tests a couple weeks back and it's the cure, but to be honest i haven't yet sent a set out to anyone to try them. I'll have an update by the end of the week for everyone.

Terry, and every body else looking for good suspension joints. I think I uploaded pic of what I use. The first picture shows the joint on my car.

The second picture shows a Lambo $200.00 ++ dollar joint after around 8500 miles.

Unless the new joint you are getting is used by major race teams and teams like the Porsche ACR cars and lord knows how many street rods, then I am not interested.

The joint I use has a carbon steel body, and an alloy steel, heat treated, hard chrome plated ball, and PTFE linded race, THEN you are wasting your money. That is, in my opinion.

I got these for my car, price around $45.00 each.

I have never seen one fail on a race car, so I figured that was good enough for my Lamborghini.

Yep, it may not look original, but then again I want to drive my car, not make some trailer queen out of it.

Chadbourn Bollles

I am interested too

post-289-1298234332.jpg

post-289-1298234347.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Kurt,

I wish to use the heim joints I purchased from you. I would really like to use these re-produced parts which I paid good money for. This thread indicates that those whom have already installed them have had less than a satisfactory experience with them!!

I have tried to contact you on a one on one private message numerous times. You never responded. You say you will take care of all problems, but you do not ever answer the questions from someone whom is having problems.

Tell me honestly, do I just have several thousands of dollars of junk hardware which I bought from you that you have no interest in making right??

I trusted you, I put my faith in you, and now I feel I have been taken advantage of. It seems I have just been too trusting and too naive. All I want is that which I agreed to pay for, and did pay for upfront, before ever recieving the adverised defective product.

This situation has been going on for over two years now. Is that not just a bit too long for an "order and delivery" transaction that we had settled on in the beginning?

Kurt,

Where are you? Are you addressing the heim joint ( aka rose joint) problems)? Or have you simply taken the money and run? You choose not to answer back, at least not back to me. You have had my money for these rod ends going on almost 2 years now. I ordered reproduced parts from you, only to receive inferior and low quality parts that I would be deathly afraid of to run at any semblance of high speed.

The joints are not smooth through there range of movement, they tend to be grabby or notchey for lack of a better description. Strands of cosmolene, or whatever rust preventative was used on them, is present not only on the surface, but also penetrates between the race (housing) and the (shperical ball). There is absolutely no lubricant present between these two pieces, nor is there any way provided to lubricate them now or later om.

In Kurt's defense, the factory did not provide for additional lubrication of these parts either. But they did come somewhat lubricated in stock form, and the ball to housing movement was smoother than these "reproduced" replacements. It seems that the new improved (sold by Kurt) joints are actually somewhat worse than than what the already cheap originals are.

Kurt, as much as I would like to stand beside you and see quality reproduced parts offered to others at a reasonable price, I cannot support you and your endeavors any longer. The lack of communication is the biggest problem. Second is the quality ,or lack therof, of the product itself.

I would like to return the unusable product you sent me for either a a quality replacement that meets or exceeds the original parts, or a refund of moneys in exchange for the parts you sent to me.

Advise me on how you wish to proceed from here on in this matter.

I am afraid I now agree with Debriga, can I have my money back please

I have two complete sets that I need to send back for a refund. Kurt?

Brian