Anybody know the 'real' story

ckydmk

Happened pretty much like that. I have ridden on that road and a buddy of mine rides there often. Colorado is pretty cycling friendly, this guy was probably texting someone and hit the guy. Thought he would be slick by calling MB Roadside to pick his car up. Too bad the cops were already on to him and got the heads up on the car getting towed. Pwned. They are trying to drop the felony charge against him so that he will not have to report it to the SEC. They say it will affect his "ability to repay". It is a scam to the n-th degree.

Happened pretty much like that. I have ridden on that road and a buddy of mine rides there often. Colorado is pretty cycling friendly, this guy was probably texting someone and hit the guy. Thought he would be slick by calling MB Roadside to pick his car up. Too bad the cops were already on to him and got the heads up on the car getting towed. Pwned. They are trying to drop the felony charge against him so that he will not have to report it to the SEC. They say it will affect his "ability to repay". It is a scam to the n-th degree.

Sick for sure. Vince Neil got away the same way for the same reason. The families of the kids he maimed when he wrecked his pantera wanted financial restitution which they got from Vince being able to tour. I guess they thought if they jailed Vince their kids would still be maimed and they'd have no money to take care of the ruined kids.

Sick for sure. Vince Neil got away the same way for the same reason. The families of the kids he maimed when he wrecked his pantera wanted financial restitution which they got from Vince being able to tour. I guess they thought if they jailed Vince their kids would still be maimed and they'd have no money to take care of the ruined kids.

This guy has money on top of money to take care of this guy without working again. I can only imagine what he has. This guy will likely never work again, and he is a liver transplant surgeon in the NY city area. They Morgan Stanley guy will never change his tune, the restitution will never be enough. I don't say this just because he was a cyclist, I would feel even worse had it been a minivan full of kids. That is the reason why this guy is getting a break in the first place IMO.

This guy has money on top of money to take care of this guy without working again. I can only imagine what he has. This guy will likely never work again, and he is a liver transplant surgeon in the NY city area. They Morgan Stanley guy will never change his tune, the restitution will never be enough. I don't say this just because he was a cyclist, I would feel even worse had it been a minivan full of kids. That is the reason why this guy is getting a break in the first place IMO.

Just stating a fact, personally I'd like for the good doctor to simply run over the Morgan Stanley guy and leave him for dead.

Just stating a fact, personally I'd like for the good doctor to simply run over the Morgan Stanley guy and leave him for dead.

Oh, I know. I think Vince is a little different situation as he likely didn't have much to begin with comparatively speaking. I could be wrong on both fronts, both his net worth and this hedge fund guys. I doubt it though, that is likely why they had him continue to tour, they would have gotten squat without him doing so.

Lets keep a couple of things in mind.

If the driver HADNT been a trader at Morgan Stanley, and HAD been a "truck Driver" or "lumberjack" this would not be a national story. Hit and runs happen day in and day out. The only newsworthyness is WHO the parties were.

And yeah. Hit and run is BAD... But its usually done to cover up some OTHER more incriminating factor (like the driver was drunk). That doesnt seem to be the case here. He wasnt drunk. I doubt he INTENTIONALLY hit the biker. It doesnt sound like Speed or recklessness was a factor. It sounds like it was literally an "ooops" (albeit an ooops with horrible consequences but an oooops just the same). But at that point, the damage is done. His running away didnt make it worse (and in fact, calling MBUSA for a tow actually bolsters his story that he had no idea he hit somebody).

And had this just been a run of the mill driver who hit a bicyclist and drove off (instead of the "EVIL RICH GUY!!!!! BWAHAHAHAH") yeah, it would have been plead out to a misdemeanor and dealt with civilly- And this guy will be paying out his ass for the Doctors injuries, which is how it should be.

Good story, check this out. Somewhat of a longer read. I hear what you are saying Roman, the problem here is the DA is known for throwing the book at people of "less stature" financially. He had a felony conviction thrown at two women mountain bike racers that "swapped numbers" for the Leadville 100 MTB race that is lottery entry only. The lady lost her private teaching job in Vail because of it. Same guy that went after Kobe also when he was accused of raping that lady in Colorado.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/11/new...-defense_149196