Twin turbo SLR

MKS

If it is the same transmission as in the E55 AMG ( same engine ) , then it should hold up fine 800-900. There are quite a few E55's now running around on slick/drag radials and BIG BIG pulleys/tune/headers/ and nitrous running low to mid tens with not many issues.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see the point. I think it would ruin the car! The SLR sounds so great already - with that V8 AND that supercharger. Taking that away would take away the soul of the car IMO.

My kleemann sl65 tuned by Cory at kleemann USA made 605whp and 920wlbft on 101 gas and the tranny was holding fine. The 325's on the back were not hooking for crap though. I know a few shops are now seeing 700whp out of the sl65's but I am sure the traction is the main issue again. I wonder if you can apply some old school muscle car tech to the slr and just port the blower for some extra power?

My kleemann sl65 tuned by Cory at kleemann USA made 605whp and 920wlbft on 101 gas and the tranny was holding fine. The 325's on the back were not hooking for crap though. I know a few shops are now seeing 700whp out of the sl65's but I am sure the traction is the main issue again. I wonder if you can apply some old school muscle car tech to the slr and just port the blower for some extra power?

Yes you can, "Finny" from Mbworld has done it but the gains were small if I remember correctly. Seems to be cost prohibitive compared to just throwing on a pulley and tune.

Yes you can, "Finny" from Mbworld has done it but the gains were small if I remember correctly. Seems to be cost prohibitive compared to just throwing on a pulley and tune.

The reason for that is it's a twin screw type blower which actually compresses the air between the two rotors and spits that compressed air into the intakemanifold/IC core. "Porting" the transition really just changes the boost vs volume threshold and moves the powerband slightly.

With a roots type (stock cobra blower for instance) it's using the rotors as essentially pumping vanes which push air into the manifold and compress it there, which is why they are usually very open on the bottom compared to a TS. Porting these can have a more relevant impact on total flow and hp.

The main issue I see with the 65 series cars is the turbos seriously choke the motor off and all that low end torque makes traction miserable. If they could get a bigger turbine on that thing and let it breathe the HP would go through the roof just merely by not having the torque plummet after peak.

It's the same principle with the vipers who used to run GT35 turbos and with 700hp were harder to drive than a 900hp car with bigger turbos and a more usable powerband/torque curve.

The only thing that needs to make 900 ft/lbs at 2k rpm is my duramax, in a sports car it makes things miserable.