What did you do today?

topcabron

Your skin should be fairly elastic so unless you're talking about a massive change in weight, I don't think there would be much looseness. Unless you just mean cardio to lose water weight?

Lol, what? 1 or 1.5 grams of what? I get about 150-200g of protein a day. Haven't heard of zucchini much in cutting diets. Asparagus, broccoli, green beans, spinach, peas and carrots for me. I bake a bunch of chicken breast on the weekends to eat during the week. I've been attempting to bulk and I've put on about 15 lbs of muscle the last few months. Going to give it another months and cut out all the hardboiled eggs and cut before the warm weather. I rarely do less than 8 reps of anything anymore. Sometimes sets of 30 reps. The knee is finally pretty good after the surgery so I'm back to leg workouts, and rowing, and stairclimber.

Yes skin is elastic but I've noticed that it doesn't firm up for example in the chin area/lower abs as before. Ok maybe I need to cut more. :) 1-1.5g protein per pound, come on you knew what i meant.

A friend of mine had good gains with this program. Curious to what other lifters think - it seems a bit of an overkill on a few of the days. http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/w...-muscle-4-weeks

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
My biggest concern was consuming more protein at one time than my body can process (50g in a shake post workout).

I have always gone to about 50g protein, postworkout or as a meal. no worries.

I have been purposefully trying to gain mass the last 6 months. Lots of eggs, chicken, protein, etc. I was anywhere from 167-173 last summer and now I'm about 191. Workouts are much more intense now too So that's helped with the size. Rarely do anything super heavy anymore, well heavy but at least 6-8 reps. And I rarely do flat bench barbell anymore but did it yesterday and decided to go heavy. Got 3 of 315 so I was pretty happy about that. Disappointed I didn't try maxing lol, think I could have squeezed out 350.

My work out yesterday was mainly chest:

Flat bench barbell - 135 for 10, 225 for 10, 315 for 3, 275 for 6, 225 pause reps for 10

Incline free weights - 100s for 10, 100s for 10, 100s for 9, 80s pause reps for 10

Incline Smith machine - 10 lower half range, 10 higher half range, 10 full range for each set with 135, 155, 175

Flat machine press - 270 for 10, 270 for 10, 225 for 21s (like the ranges above)

Seated fly machine - 140 for 10, 140 for 10, 80 for 21s

I throw in some shoulders and/or triceps usually too... So seated side lateral concentration raises with 20s for 10 for 3 sets.

Then iso concentration triceps pull downs...50s for 10 reps for 3 sets.

Also did 5 minutes on the stairclimber before all that to warm up. And mixed in some leg raises for abs.

I have been purposefully trying to gain mass the last 6 months. Lots of eggs, chicken, protein, etc. I was anywhere from 167-173 last summer and now I'm about 191. Workouts are much more intense now too So that's helped with the size. Rarely do anything super heavy anymore, well heavy but at least 6-8 reps. And I rarely do flat bench barbell anymore but did it yesterday and decided to go heavy. Got 3 of 315 so I was pretty happy about that. Disappointed I didn't try maxing lol, think I could have squeezed out 350.

Thats some pretty good strength at 191lbs, how tall are you? 167 to 191 is a big leap!

I was 185 last year benching 335 for sets of 5 and it was insane! I've leaned up A LOT and lost a ton of strength but I'm feeling better than ever walking around at 165-168 at 5'10". I pretty much never use barbell anymore and my rep range is usually between 10-15.

5'10-5'11. I've done 335 a few different times as a max, never for reps. That's very good weight you were doing.

I was trying to become peckzilla like you but my shoulders aren't having it. Had to stop the bench presses entirely. In fact my joints are limiting me a lot.

I was trying to become peckzilla like you but my shoulders aren't having it. Had to stop the bench presses entirely. In fact my joints are limiting me a lot.

Actually my workout buddy doesn't do flat barbell due to his shoulders either so I usually either do free weights or Smith machine but Smith machine is so much easier. Couple weekends ago I did flat bench on Smith machine with 6, 5, and 4 reps of 315 and then a set of 30s with 225. Free weights on flat bench or incline I can rock out 6-8 reps with 125lbs dumbbells but that's as high as out gym has. I am MUCH better about form and slower reps than I used to be which has been much easier on my joints.

Our numbers are almost identical and I weigh 226. You're in beast mode brotha :icon_thumleft:

Thanks man but I'm shorter than you and shorter arms so that's an advantage for me weight wise. I can't complain about the weight I do lol, but like Jarob above, there will always be someone stronger. I just want to look the part haha.

Strong chest work Chipster, you seem to have a knack for bench. My bench is finally coming along now that I figured out my shoulder issues. Recently hit 323 lbs for a 1 rep max, 301 lbs for a 2 rep max, and 12 reps with 225lbs. I stopped doing dumbbells (to concentrate on barbell) for awhile but circled back them and hit 130s for a set of 2. I'm 6'5.

How are your other big lifts? I have recently hit 500lbs max on hex bar deadlift, so I'm going to start working on hitting 500lbs on a barbell deadlift, shouldn't be too long now.

Strong chest work Chipster, you seem to have a knack for bench. My bench is finally coming along now that I figured out my shoulder issues. Recently hit 323 lbs for a 1 rep max, 301 lbs for a 2 rep max, and 12 reps with 225lbs. I stopped doing dumbbells (to concentrate on barbell) for awhile but circled back them and hit 130s for a set of 2. I'm 6'5.

How are your other big lifts? I have recently hit 500lbs max on hex bar deadlift, so I'm going to start working on hitting 500lbs on a barbell deadlift, shouldn't be too long now.

Thanks Aaron. Thats still very good weight. I actually have no idea what I could deadlift lol. I need to start doing that some. I would guess I'd be lucky to deadlift 315 at the moment. I just got back into squats after the knee surgery in Oct but I still don't trust my knee a ton so I've only been doing reps. I'd guess one rep max I'm prolly in the 350 range. I will try out some deadlift this weekend maybe and post back. I rarely do cleans either.

Thanks Aaron. Thats still very good weight. I actually have no idea what I could deadlift lol. I need to start doing that some. I would guess I'd be lucky to deadlift 315 at the moment. I just got back into squats after the knee surgery in Oct but I still don't trust my knee a ton so I've only been doing reps. I'd guess one rep max I'm prolly in the 350 range. I will try out some deadlift this weekend maybe and post back. I rarely do cleans either.

For squats, I only do bench squats now. This puts me a little below parallel because of my height. I am able to sit back on the bench then stand up without it putting my knees in an awkward position. If I do regular squats, due to my height I have to lean forward way too much, and that causes too much pressure on my knees. My 1 rep max on bench squat is 400lbs currently.

For you guys that are pushing max reps please be careful. I was't even maxing out and last year I tore my pec completely off my shoulder. I was on my 5th rep with 315, typically would get for 8-10 and without warning RIIIIIP, sounded like a huge piece of velcro tearing apart. I have been lifting since I was 17 and I was 42 at the time of the tear. Still have yet to have the surgery and my right pec is pretty much just hanging.

For squats, I only do bench squats now. This puts me a little below parallel because of my height. I am able to sit back on the bench then stand up without it putting my knees in an awkward position. If I do regular squats, due to my height I have to lean forward way too much, and that causes too much pressure on my knees. My 1 rep max on bench squat is 400lbs currently.

Bench squats definitely feel a little safer for me but I haven't been going higher than 225. 400 is good weight for any squat I think! I'd like to get into box jumps and some of that other stuff you do.

For you guys that are pushing max reps please be careful. I was't even maxing out and last year I tore my pec completely off my shoulder. I was on my 5th rep with 315, typically would get for 8-10 and without warning RIIIIIP, sounded like a huge piece of velcro tearing apart. I have been lifting since I was 17 and I was 42 at the time of the tear. Still have yet to have the surgery and my right pec is pretty much just hanging.

I went through a period where I used to do heavy skullcrushers and it felt like my tricep was going to tear any second in my left arm so I dropped weight and eventually stopped doing those all together. It does freak me out that something like that could happen. Guy I know at the gym tore his bicep out of the blue kinda like you too. I'm more careful about my form and maxing is very rare for me anymore but it's a good warning.

Actually my workout buddy doesn't do flat barbell due to his shoulders either so I usually either do free weights or Smith machine but Smith machine is so much easier. Couple weekends ago I did flat bench on Smith machine with 6, 5, and 4 reps of 315 and then a set of 30s with 225. Free weights on flat bench or incline I can rock out 6-8 reps with 125lbs dumbbells but that's as high as out gym has. I am MUCH better about form and slower reps than I used to be which has been much easier on my joints.

Thanks man but I'm shorter than you and shorter arms so that's an advantage for me weight wise. I can't complain about the weight I do lol, but like Jarob above, there will always be someone stronger. I just want to look the part haha.

I am definitely not that strong anymore! Heck I'm sticking around 90lb dumbbells and doing sets of 10-12 now and if I get on straight bar bench I'm doing sets of 12 with 185. I was just jacked for being 5'10" but now at 168 I'm incredibly lean, I'd say about 6-8% body fat but that's due to the fact that I am dieting and training for a marathon currently on top of my 4-5 days a week workouts.

One of my favorite movements I do now are single arm dumbbell clean and jerk with 70lb's. Such a good total body movement and really helps me define my core. I squat but keep it light at 225lbs and do 10 sets of 10, same with deadlifts 10x10 at 225, sometime I'll even do 4x25 at 165. My biggest fascination right now is pullups. On back day I time myself doing a total of 100 before I deadlift (haven't been under 10 minutes yet..)

Thats some incredible weight for being 6'5"!! Your range of motion must be twice mine! Us smaller guys have the advantage.

I am definitely not that strong anymore! Heck I'm sticking around 90lb dumbbells and doing sets of 10-12 now and if I get on straight bar bench I'm doing sets of 12 with 185. I was just jacked for being 5'10" but now at 168 I'm incredibly lean, I'd say about 6-8% body fat but that's due to the fact that I am dieting and training for a marathon currently on top of my 4-5 days a week workouts.

One of my favorite movements I do now are single arm dumbbell clean and jerk with 70lb's. Such a good total body movement and really helps me define my core. I squat but keep it light at 225lbs and do 10 sets of 10, same with deadlifts 10x10 at 225, sometime I'll even do 4x25 at 165. My biggest fascination right now is pullups. On back day I time myself doing a total of 100 before I deadlift (haven't been under 10 minutes yet..)

Thats some incredible weight for being 6'5"!! Your range of motion must be twice mine! Us smaller guys have the advantage.

Thanks! Interesting you are into pull ups. Weighted pullups are my specialty. I'm of the dead hang pull up school of thought, everything else is a half rep. My all time best 100 body weight reps for time is 8:23, but I have gained a shit load of weight in the past 2 years and have been exclusively working on weighted, so I wouldn't be able to get anywhere close to that time now.

Thanks! Interesting you are into pull ups. Weighted pullups are my specialty. I'm of the dead hang pull up school of thought, everything else is a half rep. My all time best 100 body weight reps for time is 8:23, but I have gained a shit load of weight in the past 2 years and have been exclusively working on weighted, so I wouldn't be able to get anywhere close to that time now.

Holy sh!t 8:23 is nuts!!! Ill do sets of 8-10 with a 45lb plate or sets of 5 with a 45 and 25 on a weight belt sometimes too. And I'm 100% with you on the dead hang pull up.

Holy sh!t 8:23 is nuts!!! Ill do sets of 8-10 with a 45lb plate or sets of 5 with a 45 and 25 on a weight belt sometimes too. And I'm 100% with you on the dead hang pull up.

Impressive weighted numbers, have your elbows been holding up under the abuse? I have been going at them for 4 years now. Been through all kinds of injuries along the way. Some of my pull up stats. My 1 rep max for added weight on a weighted pull up is 196lbs. My total weight 1 rep max (added weight + body weight) is 421lbs. I have only seen a couple of other guys out there in the 400+ pound club. I recently completed a 2 rep set max with 400lbs total weight. Another recent pull up accomplishment for me was a set of 30 body weight reps @ 235lbs body weight. I am still waiting to find another person who has done a set of 30 or more legitimate reps at that body weight or higher.

Impressive weighted numbers, have your elbows been holding up under the abuse? I have been going at them for 4 years now. Been through all kinds of injuries along the way. Some of my pull up stats. My 1 rep max for added weight on a weighted pull up is 196lbs. My total weight 1 rep max (added weight + body weight) is 421lbs. I have only seen a couple of other guys out there in the 400+ pound club. I recently completed a 2 rep set max with 400lbs total weight. Another recent pull up accomplishment for me was a set of 30 body weight reps @ 235lbs body weight. I am still waiting to find another person who has done a set of 30 or more legitimate reps at that body weight or higher.

DAMN!! Most I've been able to do in a row is 23 and I'm only 165-170. My elbows have held up fine, only issues I've ever had are with my lower back which is why I dont tend to squat or deadlift too heavy anymore.

Wanted to get some of your guys' thoughts on arm workouts:

How often do you work out arms per week?

Do you combo bis & tris on same day?

My biggest issue here is I'm doing powerlifting 4 days a week (one day for squat, bench, deadlift, shoulder press), and want to keep total workout days around 5 if possible.

I could do a dedicated arm only workout in the middle of the week like on a Wednesday but most likely would have to combo another day with other stuff. Don't think it's a big deal but everybody has a different opinion on this sorta stuff, haha.

My biggest issue here is I'm doing powerlifting 4 days a week (one day for squat, bench, deadlift, shoulder press), and want to keep total workout days around 5 if possible.

I could do a dedicated arm only workout in the middle of the week like on a Wednesday but most likely would have to combo another day with other stuff. Don't think it's a big deal but everybody has a different opinion on this sorta stuff, haha.

Check out Lyle McDonalds generic bulking routine. Its a solid program IMO. You should maybe have to hit the smaller support muscles 1 time/week.

Does anyone here dead lift with a hex bar? I think dead lifting with a straight bar is very dangerous.

I do a tricep exercise at the end of my chest workout on Mondays typically. A bicep exercise at the end of back workout on Tuesdays. And then a full arm workout on Fridays. Weekends I might throw in a bicep or tricep depending how they feel.

Check out Lyle McDonalds generic bulking routine. Its a solid program IMO. You should maybe have to hit the smaller support muscles 1 time/week.

Does anyone here dead lift with a hex bar? I think dead lifting with a straight bar is very dangerous.

I think VBUG was saying he does hex. I have tried them before with hex and it feels safer for sure but I think as long as you have the form down and you're being careful, I don't think it's any less safe than any other exercise. I think clean and jerk is probably the most dangerous. Still remember the story of the cross fit teacher who did one and dropped the bar behind him after and it bounced and hit his back and paralyzed him.

I deadlift with a straight bar but I keep the weight relatively light and do high reps. Its alllll about form.

As far as arm workouts go, for me and my genetics, I've always had unusually large bi's and tri's for my size frame, so I only hit them in conjunction with chest or back.

GREAT chest workout today! Everything I did today was single arm dumbbell to hit the fast twitch muscle fibers.