Anyone here owned an H1?

oufan2929

I had a 2002 Hummer H1 Soft Top. Amazing truck!! Bought it with 7,300 miles and put about 7,000 miles on it before getting rid of it.

I bought at CNC in Upland, CA and sent it to Predator Motorsports in San Diego and did a complete stage 4 upgrade.

I drove it from LA to my Home at the time in Orlando, FL. It was definitely not built for highway cruising.

It'll cruise around 70 with the A/C off. Steep hills, it will decelerate with the pedal to the floor. Down hill I got it up to 87mph.

Around the city, it was amazing!!! Loved the Attention and not having to go at an angle to pull in anywhere.

Having dual gas tanks is amazing also!!!

I'm currently looking to buy another one with high miles or a blown motor and drop a new Duramax Diesel in it or a Cummins.

post-7246-1295428158.jpg

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how much is a decent alpha 06'? they look insane!

I had a Black H1 wagon and it was alot of fun, but Bill - it will drive worse than that Jeep you had. Keep that in-mind.

IM002166.JPG

I had a Black H1 wagon and it was alot of fun, but Bill - it will drive worse than that Jeep you had. Keep that in-mind.

dam! i never knew you had a H1, bobby just bought a black alpha 06 and it looks insane! thats what got my head spinning lol

Happened to stumble on this on youtube
Icelandic Offroaders are no joke, worth doing a search on youtube!

That is awesome--anyone have specs on it or more pics/vids?

That is awesome--anyone have specs on it or more pics/vids?

Did just a quick google search, didn't find that much but anyways. Hummer H1 1999 motel on 49" tiers use for snow driving and traveling in the mountains of Iceland,4"body lift he have extra low gear,arb lockers and a lot more.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2474197/2000-hummer-h1

Here is the same H1 and a few other similar modified Icelandic off-roaders.

http://crazyiceland.blogspot.com/2009/06/h...ic-version.html

Did just a quick google search, didn't find that much but anyways. Hummer H1 1999 motel on 49" tiers use for snow driving and traveling in the mountains of Iceland,4"body lift he have extra low gear,arb lockers and a lot more.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2474197/2000-hummer-h1

Here is the same H1 and a few other similar modified Icelandic off-roaders.

http://crazyiceland.blogspot.com/2009/06/h...ic-version.html

Thanks for that info!!!

Would be cool to see a CXT International like that

STFU, you're making me jealous :icon_thumleft:

What did you serve as in the military if you don't mind my asking?

Yes, I was raised military too. So, I grew up all around military vehicles. The Hummer H1 Alpha is the greatest driving machine. I drive it all over. NYC, country, everywhere. I can whip it around as nimble as a matchbox car. It is so much fun. I drove the Lambo today because the weather was nice, but the Hummer is my DD every single day no matter where I am going.

• 11 months later...

Guys, KMR rekindled my desire to get an H1. I'd get it to dd 5 miles/day on average plus occasional weekend drives max 50 miles and light offloading.

I've read that the maintainene of pre-alpha H1's is really high because a lot of components leak or fail and must be repaired or people let the leaks go on and then dump the truck rather than fix then. Obviously the chassis is solid given how many have over 100k miles and are still running fine.

So what's the story on maintaining them?

Wanna hear about maintenance also. A friend had one that I drove a little, and it was a blast.

I owned a '98 open top for 12 years. I absolutely loved the truck and daily drove it for about 8 years.

some notes:

Buy a BTM truck ('98 & older) if you want to do serious off road

If it's a '97-'01 TD truck, make sure it has had the engine replaced.

Make sure that it is current with the front suspension components, many things on an H1's suspension that you never replace or repair on a normal car are consumables.

Look for rust where the top meets the body on hard top and wagons.

Make sure that the CTIS system isn't leaking.

Check the air filter to see if there is any gear oil in it, if so, that means the TC/Transmission vampire leak, which is a big repair.

Try for a truck with CTIS.

99+ has ABS and TT4 off road system

97.5 has major interior upgrades

I sold my '98 truck because the yearly maintenance was considerably more than a Murcielago.

Ioniatoplesssmall.jpg

onionia5small.jpg

photo-2.jpg

DSC_0014small.jpg

Nick

I sold my '98 truck because the yearly maintenance was considerably more than a Murcielago.

Nick

That is badass! So is the figure of $6k/year accurate for maintainence? Is it considerably less if you buy an Alpha?

Whiteout,what do you mean "If it's a '97-'01 TD truck, make sure it has had the engine replaced."

You're saying every Hummer built within these years that's a turbo diesel needs a new engine?

My 97 has 90k on it. No problems here and maintenance hasn't been shit ether.

h1.JPG

Good lord. Forget the hummer.. What's the up keep like on her?! Hope you're keeping her oiled and greased! :turboalex:

Shes not mine so no maintenance here ether. One more of her with the Diablo.

dia.JPG

Hummer's are similar to Murci's in the fact that a perfect looking vehicle can have $20k in required maintenance.

There is a ton of info at humvee.net

Whiteout,what do you mean "If it's a '97-'01 TD truck, make sure it has had the engine replaced."

You're saying every Hummer built within these years that's a turbo diesel needs a new engine?

Every TD6.5 will crack a the block. There was a design change in the engine in '97 and every engine suffered from the change. Mine let go at 40k miles. If the engine hasn't been replaced and you don't plan on doing the swap, factor in about $15k for the job.

That is badass! So is the figure of $6k/year accurate for maintainence? Is it considerably less if you buy an Alpha?

I sold mine after spending around $10k/year for routine maintenance and doing most of the work myself. My truck's warranty payout was over $100k and nothing that was repaired was routine things that need to be replaced. But if you can swing it, the truck is a total blast. I loved mine, but when I saw that I could sell it and my Viper for a Murci and have less repairs, it was time for the Hummer to move on.

Alpha will be no different, in time. Now an alpha is 5 years old, the suspension/steering components are going to need to be replaced/upgraded; hub seals are going to start to leak; vent lines from the driveline are going to need to be replaced; around 75k miles the TC needs to be rebuilt; etc. Nothing major breaks on the trucks (aside from '97-'01 engines), it's just the constant maintenance that adds up.

Nick

The H1 Alpha is my daily driver. I take it to NYC, Philly, all around, never a problem. I love it!! I bought it new in 2006 and have 80k miles on it. The only way I replace it is with another. When the advert said, "Like Nothing Else" that was 100% spot on. Any questions, feel free to ask, but all you will hear from me is praise. Of all of my automobiles, Lambo, Ferrari, Cayenne Turbo S, RR, Bentley, C63 (wife's car), etc. The Hummer H1 Alpha is the only one I could not live without. Nothing else comes close for me. But, I grew up hard core military, going to Military school from 6th grade on, service, etc.

My H1 alpha is my DD as well. It too is my favorite DD of all time, like nothing else.

IMG_1921.jpg