Was there some money spent in football today!

capt_chaos

Fortis is incorrect on Rugby.

I am surprised that Liverpool let Torres train on his own in the last few days. I would have had him running around the field, the team playing some pass and moves in the middle and then a match, Torres with the reserve goalie against the squad and he could have had quite a few knocks prior to this weekends game.

Rumour has it he really upset quite a few players over the Christmas period, Stevie G being one of them.

Fortis is incorrect on Rugby.

I am surprised that Liverpool let Torres train on his own in the last few days. I would have had him running around the field, the team playing some pass and moves in the middle and then a match, Torres with the reserve goalie against the squad and he could have had quite a few knocks prior to this weekends game.

Rumour has it he really upset quite a few players over the Christmas period, Stevie G being one of them.

:lol2:

I knew you will say that, how about cricket? am I correct now?

cricket.png

Rugby, a bunch of sweaty overweight fat guys hugging and groping each other willing to stick their heads where no man's head should ever go, I was definitely not talking about Rugby.

I was talking about American "football" using the term football very loosely since they mainly touch the ball with their hands :icon_mrgreen:

Hand_egg.jpg

Emmitt! :icon_pray: :icon_pray: :icon_pray:

Who's that little kid in the other pic who looks like he couldn't bench 90 pounds? Oh well, no matter. :icon_mrgreen:

Not everyone enjoys watching steroid infused men chasing an easter egg while being wrapped in a mattress :icon_mrgreen:

wrapped in a matress or not, american football has far more injuries than euro football or rugby. euro soccer produces an broken ankle here or there, american football breaks necks, causes concussions, and sends more players to the hospital, and that is where it gets tough... american healthcare! top that! hell, i never heard of a player getting broken toes or fingers taped up to continue playing soccer.

That said, on the original topic, I totally get the overpay there, but historically, "football" has overpaid for underproducing players.

wrapped in a matress or not, american football has far more injuries than euro football or rugby. euro soccer produces an broken ankle here or there, american football breaks necks, causes concussions, and sends more players to the hospital, and that is where it gets tough... american healthcare! top that! hell, i never heard of a player getting broken toes or fingers taped up to continue playing soccer.

That said, on the original topic, I totally get the overpay there, but historically, "football" has overpaid for underproducing players.

Generally there don't tend to be broken fingers or toes in football. There have been a number of nasty broken legs though. There tend to be more ligament and muscle injuries. The most bizarre injury in football was to Bert Trautmann in the 1956 FA Cup Final. With 17 minutes of the match remaining Trautmann suffered a serious injury after diving at the feet of Birmingham City's Peter Murphy. Despite his injury he continued to play, making crucial saves to preserve his team's 3–1 lead. His neck was noticeably crooked as he collected his winner's medal; three days later an X-ray revealed it to be broken.

There are loads of injuries out there, you just probably only hear about metatarsals which are surprisingly painful - I fractured one of mine last summer.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/ap...manchester-city

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ham/9382263.stm

The rugby match I played in the day after boxing day a guy broke his cheekbone and played on. I have seen him since and face is fucked, proper fucked.

In a 5-a-side football tournament I have seen a guy break his arm and elbow in the quarter finals and played on to the final where he missed a penalty.

When I broke my jaw playing rugby the ambulance came onto the pitch and naturally not being able to maintain consciousness affected my ability to play on...

Back to football and injuries.

A friend of mine Andy got some new boots but he just was not playing right with them in training, it was like he needed a sheep dog to round up the ball everytime he touched it. So he offered them for sale to John, John said he would try them out and sort out a price after he got paid. John was just on fire with them. Match day comes along and it was like every ball was laser guided. He was on fire no doubt about it.

It was getting late in to the second half and have a great maize run I lofted the ball cross field to John. First touch was a treat, the ball came down and the defender was so shocked he completely mistimed the tackle and went straight through John. His leg was at right angles.

Makes me sick thinking about it now.

The ambulance came on the pitch and they gave John some oxygen. They were just about to load him into the back when Andy stopped the paramedic, lifted off John's mask and said

"I will sell them to you half price".

You just cannot compare a sport to another sport, neither fan will see the appeal of the other.

Emmitt! :icon_pray: :icon_pray: :icon_pray:

Who's that little kid in the other pic who looks like he couldn't bench 90 pounds? Oh well, no matter. :icon_mrgreen:

I leave the heavy lifting to others :icon_mrgreen:

can't get too into the soccer/futbol threads here, we can't seem to get past bashing soocer :rolleyes:

so old :eusa_wall:

:lol2:

I knew you will say that, how about cricket? am I correct now?

post-7524-1296594037_thumb.png

Hey!! lol

Fortis, not sure if you've ever been to Melbourne during the AFL finals series but you see normal people turn into team supporting monsters for a couple of weeks. It's like that every few days round my place here as we are close to Fulham's stadium. Its hard to get your head round how popular the sport is. I was talking to a guy the other day who is a member at Tottenham and he was saying that they have a 38000 seat stadium that is pretty much sold out in under 30 minutes week in week out. Back home they are lucky to pull 15000 to a regular season match.

Saying that I still find it really boring to watch on TV but really looking forward to going to a game, if I can ever get a ticket!

Tottenham's White hart lane stadium is okay but old now, Fulham's Craven cottage is tiny compared to some grounds. Best stadium in London is arsenal's Emirates.

I will check The calendar and my ticket contact to see if I can get some Liverpool tickets for matches in London and we can meet for a beer though that might not be this season.

Popping back to injuries; I forget about the fractured skull Peter Cech got.

Tottenham's new stadium will take capacity up from over 36,000 to over 56,000. Having a big fan base, it will be interesting to see if the stadium will be filled, as it is most games now. White Hart Lane has been updated over the years and is one of the most famous grounds in football. The new ground will almost certainly have a completely new name, and related to sponsorship money. That should be a cracking state of the art stadium. I will miss White Hart Lane!

How do the amount of injuries compare between Football and American Football?

Tottenham's new stadium will take capacity up from over 36,000 to over 56,000. Having a big fan base, it will be interesting to see if the stadium will be filled, as it is most games now. White Hart Lane has been updated over the years and is one of the most famous grounds in football. The new ground will almost certainly have a completely new name, and related to sponsorship money. That should be a cracking state of the art stadium. I will miss White Hart Lane!

I had four major surgeries while a player, kind of a lot for soccer...and spent way too much time getting treatment for many smaller ailments Monday to Friday so I could play on the weekend :)

Average life expectancy of an NFL player is 52.

National average male life expectancy is 75.6.

Consider also, that football players here have access to some of the best medical care in the world.

Saying that I still find it really boring to watch on TV but really looking forward to going to a game, if I can ever get a ticket!

You find it more boring than cricket? I would rather watch paint dry :icon_mrgreen:

I am sure you will find someone to help you with few tickets.

I want to know where Spurs are getting their money from? Some of the bids being banded about in the last few days of the window were just nuts. There were going after Forlan, Aguerro and Negredo with bids around £40m.

Will Harry inflict his bankrupt jinx on them??

I want to know where Spurs are getting their money from? Some of the bids being banded about in the last few days of the window were just nuts. There were going after Forlan, Aguerro and Negredo with bids around £40m.

Will Harry inflict his bankrupt jinx on them??

I used to wonder where all the money was coming from and to be fair, Levy seems to make it available when it's needed. I believe they have very rich backers who keep out of the limelight. Spurs have to spend to strengthen the defence and have to build on last season. They must keep Gareth Bale at all costs if they want to be at the very top again. Bale is a major player this seaon and it's clear they miss him when he is injured (now).

Very pleased with Redknapp, got to keep him as well. Good important win tonight after the farce on the weekend!

Put it this way, I am surprised more people are not probing into where the money is coming from. Harry's squad bill at Portsmouth was shocking and he seems to be going after silly players. For example the Charlie Adam's bid, why? You have how many midfield players?

Now that bid must be in the £10m region and what kind of defender could you get with that?

Look at the attacking line up and why splash out the extra £40 when there are problems at the back.

I know right now Spurs fans love Uncle 'arry right now but I don't think enough people are asking the right questions imo.

Put it this way, I am surprised more people are not probing into where the money is coming from. Harry's squad bill at Portsmouth was shocking and he seems to be going after silly players. For example the Charlie Adam's bid, why? You have how many midfield players?

Now that bid must be in the £10m region and what kind of defender could you get with that?

Look at the attacking line up and why splash out the extra £40 when there are problems at the back.

I know right now Spurs fans love Uncle 'arry right now but I don't think enough people are asking the right questions imo.

Okay the guy is Joe Lewis, the Bahamas-based billionaire who controls Tottenham's parent company ENIC

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...l#ixzz1CqODIFEi

There may be other backers as well, I didn't know about Lewis until a few months ago.

The defence is the problem with Spurs. Goalkeeper is still not convincing, Spurs need a few players who will stabilize the defence. There's been too many long and short term injuries. They must play European football again next season to continue moving forward.

Just started season with Spurs.. bought Zanetti and will add someone to replace Lennon, may be Kaka - lennon is fast but worthless in everything else, at least in PES 2011

What did you guys think of Real Madrid revamping the rooster (mids-getting rid of strikers)? I love their new line up a lot more, Benzema and Higuain are both beasts should work fine

Okay the guy is Joe Lewis, the Bahamas-based billionaire who controls Tottenham's parent company ENIC

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...l#ixzz1CqODIFEi

There may be other backers as well, I didn't know about Lewis until a few months ago.

The defence is the problem with Spurs. Goalkeeper is still not convincing, Spurs need a few players who will stabilize the defence. There's been too many long and short term injuries. They must play European football again next season to continue moving forward.

Interesting to know on the "consortium" but will it last if there is no CL? Big difference in the pot!

This made me laugh from one of the football websites I frequent.

Remember Cesar Sanchez? Goalkeeper, currently between Valencia's sticks, won the Champions League with Real Madrid and briefly a Spurs player.

Harry Redknapp doesn't remember him. He simply referred to this highly-respected and competent professional footballer as "the Spanish goalie", and booted him out of White Hart Lane before you could say 'scandalous disrespect'.

Well, Harry's at it again. Discussing goings-on at Spurs Lodge, he said: "As for Pienaar... the other South African thought his head was the ball and knocked him unconscious in training."

FYI Harry: His name is Bongani

• 1 month later...