New D.D BMW M5

rhunt

I bought a new daily driver, 2006 BMW M5. I was looking at a lot of different options, but this worked best for me. Subdued but still pretty fast. It has every option, except the HUD.

post-217-1297959680.jpg

post-217-1297959691.jpg

post-217-1297959698.jpg

post-217-1297959711.jpg

post-217-1297959720.jpg

post-217-1297959730.jpg

post-217-1297959738.jpg

Love the M5. Those 2006-2007 ones are really affordable these days.

I picked it up for $34k, very cheap.

I'm thinking this is one of the best bang for buck DDs out there. I had an e39...great car.

Also considering Cayenne turbo, M3 saloon and Lexus ISF.

Love the M5. Those 2006-2007 ones are really affordable these days.

until the repair bills begin...

I hope you have better luck than I did with my e60.

The E60 v10 sounds so great. It is a very versatile car, the only downside is idrive. My buddy wants to go from his 00 M5 to an 06 M5 and for the most part it pretty much keeps pace with a stock Gallardo.

What are the main problems with it other than brakes/transmission?

I know my 335i brakes are $1100 to replace pads and rotors at the stealership.

Would love to pick up an Interlagos Blue/Silverstone M5 and give my wife the 335i. They are hard to find in good condition with decent mileage for a good price though in that color combo.

yes I certainly hope he got the extended warranty.....and get rid of it before the warranty is up...

If you get the extended warranty you pay for damn near NOTHING! My M3 had all brakes, and rotors even covered under the warranty and I got the service pack to which pays for itself. But if you dont have it, i agree, the repair costs on a BMW can get BRUTAL.

What are the main problems with it other than brakes/transmission?

I know my 335i brakes are $1100 to replace pads and rotors at the stealership.

Would love to pick up an Interlagos Blue/Silverstone M5 and give my wife the 335i. They are hard to find in good condition with decent mileage for a good price though in that color combo.

Off the top of my head, control arms/bushings, electrical locking system, transmission, as majors - then a bunch of other pesky stuff.

Car was in the shop about every 4-5 weeks, and each trip was at least $1,000 (at a reasonably priced Independent shop).

Off the top of my head, control arms/bushings, electrical locking system, transmission, as majors - then a bunch of other pesky stuff.

Car was in the shop about every 4-5 weeks, and each trip was at least $1,000 (at a reasonably priced Independent shop).

That was my experience with my 328Ci before I sold it. Frequent repairs, ~$1,000 per trip. I thought BMWs were supposed to be reliable? :eusa_naughty:

That was my experience with my 328Ci before I sold it. Frequent repairs, ~$1,000 per trip. I thought BMWs were supposed to be reliable? :eusa_naughty:

Exactly. From a repair and maintenance standpoint it makes a Gallardo seem like the more economical choice. :lol2:

Exactly. From a repair and maintenance standpoint it makes a Gallardo seem like the more economical choice. :lol2:

i've had my 335i for about a year and half and problem free. i've had a few MINOR issues: rattles, broken cup holder, etc... which all got fixed under warranty... there WAS the one HPFP recall that affected my car - that was about the only major hassle so far...

but yeah, a INTERLAGOS blue m5 would be sick...

i've had my 335i for about a year and half and problem free. i've had a few MINOR issues: rattles, broken cup holder, etc... which all got fixed under warranty... there WAS the one HPFP recall that affected my car - that was about the only major hassle so far...

but yeah, a INTERLAGOS blue m5 would be sick...

My 335i has the rattles at cold start acceleration. Other than that a squeky drivers seat (which I havent gotten fixed yet), had to have the rear rotors and pads replaced 1000 miles after purchase, front ones will be soon as they are squeking already, passenger side rear window got stuck down on my way to South beach for my wifes birthday last year and had to turn around and take it into the dealership, etc.

Brake dust is horrendous. Wash it, and 10 minutes later it is caked on.

Handles well, steering is phenominal as all newer BMW's, decent power, interior is good, and well layed out.

Brakes are ok at best.

Auto tranny is ok at best.

My 335i has the rattles at cold start acceleration. Other than that a squeky drivers seat (which I havent gotten fixed yet), had to have the rear rotors and pads replaced 1000 miles after purchase, front ones will be soon as they are squeking already, passenger side rear window got stuck down on my way to South beach for my wifes birthday last year and had to turn around and take it into the dealership, etc.

Brake dust is horrendous. Wash it, and 10 minutes later it is caked on.

Handles well, steering is phenominal as all newer BMW's, decent power, interior is good, and well layed out.

Brakes are ok at best.

Auto tranny is ok at best.

the brake dust is just german cars I think. My audi has black powder coated rims after one drive....

the brake dust is just german cars I think. My audi has black powder coated rims after one drive....

Funny thing is...

I used to have a silver E46 3 series in 2001. I could drive it for 3 weeks without washing it, and the wheels would be BLACK from brake dust. You wash the wheels, and the entire car looked CLEAN.

Would do that every weekend before I would go out. Clean the wheels and tire shine.

Brake dust remedy: use Akebono brake pads. I drive around like "The Transporter" so my 7 is brakedust and blue a week after driving unless I use akebonos. You also should have the rims media blasted and clear coated.

The E60 M5 is one of those cars most owners love to death, and I know one fcar guy that had a lemon that seized on the way back from Vegas. BMW basically gave him a sweetheart deal and he ended up with a Maser GT 4.7 out of it but he missed the M5. I have not heard of many lemons with this car at all.

Silverstone blue is a fantastic color, that is what my buddy's E39 M5 is in. I think the E60 looks great in white, imola red or silverstone blue (SSB is a custom color iirc) but interlagos is nicer on smaller cars. I am shopping for a good interlagos M coupe as my DD right now.

pro-actbullets.jpg

The E60 M5 is one of those cars most owners love to death, and I know one fcar guy that had a lemon that seized on the way back from Vegas. BMW basically gave him a sweetheart deal and he ended up with a Maser GT 4.7 out of it but he missed the M5. I have not heard of many lemons with this car at all.

I will admit, I loved my car and if it didn't have the maintenance issues it did I would happily still be driving one.

Recently sold my black on red e60 M5 with black stock rims and eisenmann race like the video posted above

loved that car, but i'm still a bachelor so I switched to a Gallardo. When I have a family, I will have a saloon like this M5 that performs

Heck, I swear my M pulled harder than the Gallardo at highway speeds