Very impressed with the Mulsanne

RedGTS

I knew I would like the front end, which I did, but I was also impressed with the interior, which I would describe as a sea of bling. More specifically, it is a sea of shiny rings of all sizes, as every gauge, button, dial, or knob is surrounded with shiny chrome. If someone had described it to me that way and I hadn't seen it, I would think I wouldn't like it, but oddly enough it works very well in person, IMO. And I'm not someone who likes a lot of chrome. I'm sure the hides of the 17 cows that gave their lives to cover all the interior surfaces help break things up, but it still has easily the most chrome I have seen on the interior of a car. These crappy phone pics don't really do it justice, and of course I didn't try to photograph everything (like the cylindrical billet ashtrays in the rear doors, which are removable and seemed to weigh about 4 lbs each). There are rear controls for virtually everything too. Very stately and impressive car, as one would expect.

Mulsanne3s.jpg

Mulsanne4s.jpg

Mulsanne1s.jpg

Mulsanne2s.jpg

I knew I would like the front end, which I did, but I was also impressed with the interior, which I would describe as a sea of bling. More specifically, it is a sea of shiny rings of all sizes, as every gauge, button, dial, or knob is surrounded with shiny chrome. If someone had described it to me that way and I hadn't seen it, I would think I wouldn't like it, but oddly enough it works very well in person, IMO. And I'm not someone who likes a lot of chrome. I'm sure the hides of the 17 cows that gave their lives to cover all the interior surfaces help break things up, but it still has easily the most chrome I have seen on the interior of a car. These crappy phone pics don't really do it justice, and of course I didn't try to photograph everything (like the cylindrical billet ashtrays in the rear doors, which are removable and seemed to weigh about 4 lbs each). There are rear controls for virtually everything too. Very stately and impressive car, as one would expect.

Sounds like one shiny ass interior :icon_thumleft:

Thanks for the pictures!

....though I'm surprised to hear that you liked it - considering Jeremy Clarkson hated it when they went to Albania - ahahahaha

....though I'm surprised to hear that you liked it - considering Jeremy Clarkson hated it when they went to Albania - ahahahaha

lols

Mulsanne is pretty sweet, someday I hope to drive and maybe own one.

lols

Mulsanne is pretty sweet, someday I hope to drive and maybe own one.

For $325,000, overpriced and over rated. Wretched excess imo.

For $325,000, overpriced and over rated. Wretched excess imo.

Compared to a 450k Rolls Phantom? Nah. I would be waiting for them to come way down from 325k before I even looked at them.

Compared to a 450k Rolls Phantom? Nah. I would be waiting for them to come way down from 325k before I even looked at them.

This is what I was thinking. Would be a lot of car for ~$150k in a few years. Just like right now there is no better bargain than a nice CGT for $75-85k IMO.

:iamwithstupid: Mulsanne any day for me. Arnage is still one of my favs, but obviously is out-dated now. The problem I would have is not getting it in the colors/options that would be available 2nd hand. (My choice? Moroccan blue with magnolia/burr walnut interior!) The choices of colors/woods/bespoke is so vast I would have a field-day with my creative side.

But for "best bang for buck" - wait 2 years and this baby will be a hot daily driver!

:iamwithstupid:

If anything, this is the most appropriately priced car above 300K. New Mulsanne >Used Phantom any day of the week.

How come no wooden steering wheel??

Is it out of fashion to have a wooden wheel these days?

Wood veneer steering wheel available as an option.

Wood veneer steering wheel available as an option.

Yep. This car has the piano black wood trim, so it wouldn't have looked like a "real wood" wheel anyway. But I think the piano black wood was another reason I liked all the chrome trim--don't think I would have liked it nearly as well with say burled walnut, but it worked well with black.

You guys have brought me around on this car, can't ignore so many good reviews and positive experiences from those that have given it a test drive. Front end is still god-awful, but it's minimized by the obviously high-caliber experience of the car.

It's a tough value proposition, hard to see it being worth the massive premium a new one goes for versus even a barely-used Phantom, but if these depreciate similarly it will be the perfect car to own in a few years.

Shouldn't we stop compare the mulsanne to the RR phantom? I don't know if the RR had any major updates in all these years (driveability, ...) because it's still an old car despite it's status.

And the newer phantoms don't even look as good as the first ones, now it has huge sideview mirrors.

Shouldn't we stop compare the mulsanne to the RR phantom?

No, the comparison is valid.

They're incredible cars, and this isn't a segment where "newer" is better, otherwise no one would want an Arnage after all these years...

The Phatom is the furthest thing in the world from "an old car", and riding in one is still a treat. :icon_thumleft:

The new mulsanne coupe (turbo r) is what ill wait for :)

I saw that and wondered if it was just fanboy rumorism by the blogs, as so much of their content is...

Would be nice to see though, they need to bring the "R" series back!

Just from sitting/exploring the two side-by-side, for me personally, the Arnage was my favorite over the Phantom. Drophead is another story. But the Mulsanne looks like it would destroy a Phantom - as far as a driving experience goes.