DIY Oil Change

georgegv

I am about to do my own oil change on my 06 SE. Just wondered if anyone has had the experience. I can't find an oil filter anywhere but the dealer at nearly 90 bucks! Is Lambo the only manufacturer of the elements or does anyone know of a cross reference to another source. It seems every dealer prefers different oil for the G.

So far, Agip, Mobil 1 and Castrol Syn have been called out.

I have been quoted anywhere from 500 to around 1000 for a simple oil change and I just don't see it!

There's probably plenty of threads on changing oil on the 04-08 Gs.

If you have EVER changed oil on ANY car....You're qualified.

It's simple.

Long and short of it. Get 10 quarts of oil.

Remove oil filter (yes, you'll probably have to get it at the dealer). It's sometimes difficult to get the filter housing out. I was lucky and had a perfectly sized strap-wrench for the job.

Once you change the filter (and put a new o-ring on the filter housing), you can drain the oil.

Below where you put the oil in (Olio or '710' stamped on it), is the oil tank. At the bottom of this is the drain plug. Remove plug, drain oil into catch can (about 7 quarts). Next drain the bottom of the motor - The plug faces the passenger side (US cars). Remove that and you'll drain another ~2 quarts or so.

reinstall plugs. Fill oil tank with ~6 or 7 quarts. Start car, let idle for a minute. Add two more quarts. Get oil to op temp, and check again. Top off to desired level.

I know the manual says it takes about 10 quarts, but I usually find that 8 or 9 usually does the trick. (Keep the 10th quart to top off every 1500 miles or so - The early cars use some oil)

BTW - I prefer Castrol Syntec. 20w50 usually for the early cars.

There's probably plenty of threads on changing oil on the 04-08 Gs.

If you have EVER changed oil on ANY car....You're qualified.

It's simple.

Long and short of it. Get 10 quarts of oil.

Remove oil filter (yes, you'll probably have to get it at the dealer). It's sometimes difficult to get the filter housing out. I was lucky and had a perfectly sized strap-wrench for the job.

Once you change the filter (and put a new o-ring on the filter housing), you can drain the oil.

Below where you put the oil in (Olio or '710' stamped on it), is the oil tank. At the bottom of this is the drain plug. Remove plug, drain oil into catch can (about 7 quarts). Next drain the bottom of the motor - The plug faces the passenger side (US cars). Remove that and you'll drain another ~2 quarts or so.

reinstall plugs. Fill oil tank with ~6 or 7 quarts. Start car, let idle for a minute. Add two more quarts. Get oil to op temp, and check again. Top off to desired level.

I know the manual says it takes about 10 quarts, but I usually find that 8 or 9 usually does the trick. (Keep the 10th quart to top off every 1500 miles or so - The early cars use some oil)

BTW - I prefer Castrol Syntec. 20w50 usually for the early cars.

Thanks for your reply. I was trying to find a filter that would work. I've done countless oil changes over the years and can't see a 10 dollar element costing so much.

Thanks for your reply. I was trying to find a filter that would work. I've done countless oil changes over the years and can't see a 10 dollar element costing so much.

I agree. I never really tried to find an equalivent for the 5.0 oil filter. I like going to the dealer to show my face every now and then. And for $80 every ~5000 miles, it's not a big expense.

Now if you had a 560, you can get a Wix filter online for $13. (But I still pay $70 at the dealer for mine)

there is one on ebay for $60.

also check out the please check with our franchised lamborghini dealer sponsors and lamboweb. There is a how to on lamboweb.

the drain plugs on the oil can and engine block were different. be sure to check to make sure you use the right tool bits or else you'll strip out the plug like i did. also, change out the washers on the plugs.

Yeah, doing an oil change is pretty simple. You'll probably want to invest in the special filter wrench, since getting to the filter is just not that easy. I believe both the drain plugs are 8mm hex, one on the bottom of the oil tank, and one under in the middle of the crankcase. Just be very careful when removing the filter from the housing. Breaking one of the holding tangs makes it a bit more difficult removing and installing the filter housing because the filter wants to fall out on its own.

I also stuffed a rag behind the filter mount to prevent oil from dripping in the gallery, once its there its a pain to get out...

i found the clamp type oil filter wrench to be fairly easy to use. it was a cheap $10 one from pep boys. didn't even need to remove any intake hose to access the filter.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you need a lift to do this properly or can a set of jack stands work?

On the 5.0 Gallardo, jackstands are fine if you don't mind working on your back. On the 560 a lift is almost necessary because you have to remove the undertray before you can drain the oil, and it would be difficult to remove it on jack stands.

As a matter of fact, you can *almost* change the oil on the 5.0 without even jacking it up. You'll see what I mean after you do it once...

Considering I still have my mind set on a 560 (and possibly a UGR conversion) I'm thinking a lift may be in order.

My wife will never look at the engine, so the TT setup will be easy to hide. I think she may notice a giant lift in the garage, though.

A lift is ~$3-5k...A TT kit on a 560 is $40-75k...If she's going to give you gas about the lift, you better HOPE she doesn't look at the engine!! lol

My wife will probably lift the hood and tell me the engine is gone. No chance of her finding the turbo kit - even if she realizes the engine is in the back she won't know what anything is.

Just a tip.. ground clearance is very low on this car so if you use jackstands, you won't be able to use a creeper. I placed a large flattened box under the car -- you can slide around very easily

I don't like getting under the car with only jackstands so I made pedestals out of 2x4's and placed them under the tires. I cut a bunch of 2x4's then nailed/screwed them together to make a solid cube. Wood is almost uncompressible so it's very strong and sturdy

Somewhat on topic (I think)

What's the best way to drain 2 quarts of engine oil?

It appears the oil was overfilled by dealer (checked it by the book procedure - def too much oil by about 2 quarts)

Spoke to mechanic who changed the oil, plus another lambo dealer service manager

plus our Mercedes AMG service tech who is a great mechanic.

Have conflicting opinions. Some say drain from sump which holds 2 qts.

Other say drain from reservoir

Comments?

Somewhat on topic (I think)

What's the best way to drain 2 quarts of engine oil?

It appears the oil was overfilled by dealer (checked it by the book procedure - def too much oil by about 2 quarts)

Spoke to mechanic who changed the oil, plus another lambo dealer service manager

plus our Mercedes AMG service tech who is a great mechanic.

Have conflicting opinions. Some say drain from sump which holds 2 qts.

Other say drain from reservoir

Comments?

Suck it out from the oil tank...