Recipe ideas

capt_chaos

Lately I have been gorging on pasta, quick cheap and easy nut the side effect is that too many carbs make me a little too lethargic.

So ideas for quick, easy protein plenty recipes please.

Lately I have been gorging on pasta, quick cheap and easy nut the side effect is that too many carbs make me a little too lethargic.

So ideas for quick, easy protein plenty recipes please.

I have been on a high-protein/low carb diet for awhile now (efforts to lose some weight this year! :) ), and one of my quick favorites only takes minutes to make, but tastes good and usually satisfies some cravings for me. I absolutely love wings, so alot of times when I am craving SOMETHING (lol) with hot sauce, I will just slice up some boneless/skinless chicken breasts, marinate em in Franks Red Hot Sauce for a half hour, and then either:

1-Bake them

2-Sautee them up with a little extra virgin olive oil in a hot pan.

Once they are done, dump the whole thing over some brown rice (obviously limit the rice portion if you are watching or want to elimate carbs for the meal) with a vegatable (usually brocolli) and you got yourself a healthy *ALMOST fat-free meal! :) Cheap as anything to make, prep time of about 5 minutes and cooking time (when Sauteeing) of less than 10. Not exactly an exciting dinner but tastes good when youre looking for something quick and healthy and cant stand the sight of another plain boneless chicken breast. :icon_mrgreen:

Disclaimer; this "quick" meal thing usually backfires for me though, as although I like it and it satisfies my cravings for wings once in a while, the GF gets tired of it occasionally so I usually end up making her a more fancy dinner anyway. :lol2: Just an idea though!

Do you eat eggs? Another easy meal is 3-4 egg whites and one yolk, scrambled up with a few slices of lean honey ham and some LF or fat-free cheese. Makes a decent omelette that is loaded with protein. A slice or two of wheat bread and youre good to go.

Two things;

1. Franks hot sauce? I have not heard of it?

2. Never cook with Extra Virgin olive oil. Olive oil is fine but Extra virgin should be used for finishing and salads.

Two things;

1. Franks hot sauce? I have not heard of it?

2. Never cook with Extra Virgin olive oil. Olive oil is fine but Extra virgin should be used for finishing and salads.

Hmmm good to know. I have used EV-olive oil for years but never knew that. I only use a little though just to help the chicken cook, as the remaining hot sauce from the marinate bag usually leaves plenty of liquid to get em sauteed up quickly. :)

As for Franks, it is one of the most popular hot sauce brands over here (available in almost every major supermarket). I'd imagine almost any hot sauce would work though, just find one you like and throw it all in a bag. Like i said its definitely not "fancy" lol, as theres almost nothing to it, but being that I crave hot wings sometimes, it works wonders for me when I get the urge but want to keep eating healthy for the day. :)

As for Franks, it is one of the most popular hot sauce brands over here (available in almost every major supermarket). I'd imagine almost any hot sauce would work though, just find one you like and throw it all in a bag. Like i said its definitely not "fancy" lol, as theres almost nothing to it, but being that I crave hot wings sometimes, it works wonders for me when I get the urge but want to keep eating healthy for the day. :)

:icon_thumleft:

I love hot sauce. :turboalex:

If you like hot stuff can I suggest getting some chillies and prick them then pop them into a bottle of olive oil.

Try it and then tell me how much you love me!

If you like hot stuff can I suggest getting some chillies and prick them then pop them into a bottle of olive oil.

Try it and then tell me how much you love me!

LOL thats the funny thing though, I actually DONT like really hot stuff. (always order my wings medium or mild). Im just a wing fan though, lol. :) Anything too hot and I think my eyes would start tearing. :lol2:

Franks regular Red Hot Sauce works well for me cause its just right, and works suprisingly well for chicken marinate, lol. Easy prep easy cooking easy clean-up and cheap. Its win-win!

The problem isn't with the carbs per se, just with the glycemic index of the pasta itself. It's a quick burst and then crash and burn.

If you change all your meals to include a 4-6oz portion of lean protein (chicken, lean beef, fish) and add a cup of brown rice and a cup of steamed broccoli to that, you have the perfect meal. Little to no fat, low glycemic (long burning) carbs for energy and glycogen replenishment, and some roughage and nutrients in the veggies.

Your last meal of the day should be protein only (no carbs or fat) - then go to sleep.

Grill/bake boneless chicken breasts (or fav lean protein: beef, pork, shrimp). Use your favorite salsa as a marinade if you want. Saute some sliced onion, peppers (green/red/whatever).

Use chicken and peppers over lettuce as a "fajita" salad. Top with fav salsa, lite sour cream, lite sharp cheddar (I prefer the real thing and use sparingly), fresh tomatoes, more hot sauce.

OR - get whole wheat soft tortillas and make wraps. Use 1/2 tortilla if they're big or you're watching carbs. Use your favorite veggies/toppings to mix it up and make it your own.

Can be done with leftover meat/chic, is good cold or hot...takes a bit longer but is easy if you have time

Another easy favorite: pork tenderloin. Pre-heat oven to 325 -350F (or = C). Cover pork with one of the following:

Hot sauce

Barbeque sauce

Fav marinade or salad dressing

option: slice and place UNDER the tenderloin: apples, onions, carrots - whatever combo you like. (apples, onion & BBQ work really well together)

Add some water (or beer or wine or whatever liquid you like). Creates "in pan" sauce.

I use a meat thermometer so I can put it in the oven and walk away. Usually cooks in 30 min depending on size of loin. Let it rest for 10, slice on diagonal, use pan juices as sauce and serve with pan veggies/apples.

Easy. One pan meal. Since I'm cooking for me & hubby I always have leftovers - good to freeze or have another night or for a sandwich.

Here's a bit of Frank's Red Hot Sauce trivia for you: it's the base used in the original, authentic Buffalo Chicken Wing recipe. I grew up in Buffalo. Frank's is the best!!! Hope you can find it in the UK. Good luck!

"Egg fajitas" are good too. I use ezekial tortillas and make a bunch of egg whites with some pepper. Use some tortillas strips for a little crunch and some salsa. Good meal 1 or mid-day meal - either way.

cup of oatmeal no flavor

cup of cottage cheese

half a cup of splenda

cinnamon or vanilla

blend above

may be raisings or craising depends if you want extra sugar or not

little baking soda

egg or two

mix together what you blended and the rest and make cookies out of that.

good carbs+ protein = win

I put salsa on top of eggs or chicken breasts to make it less dry. You can add tomato+cucumbur salad (takes like 45 seconds to make that) to any meal and be happy.

There are many things out there, it is about choosing the right carb and not overdoing fat, and you are good to go.