Brake dust on rear wheels....

kmr

So this is the first car that I have ever had that seems to generate more brake dust on the rear as opposed to the front. I have owned other mid/rear engine cars and never had this issue. Is this normal? Not sure if that is how they are biased or if my rear brakes are sticking or something....? Thoughts?

So this is the first car that I have ever had that seems to generate more brake dust on the rear as opposed to the front. I have owned other mid/rear engine cars and never had this issue. Is this normal? Not sure if that is how they are biased or if my rear brakes are sticking or something....? Thoughts?

I'd venture to say that whoever you bought it from had likely done the front brakes and not the rear. They probably put an aftermarket pad in the front...several makes tend to dust less than the factory. The rear of the car probably still has the original pads or factory pads and are just doing what is "normal" for them. Otherwise, no, no biasing causing the rear to have more dust. My car has factory pads all the way around, and I'd say I get a little more dust on the front, but it's just really excessive amounts on both front and rear (compared to my daily driver, for example). When I do the brakes, I'll be switching to some of the EBC pads that don't generate nearly as much break dust so I'm not having to constantly wipe the wheels down.

Think it is the ESP.

Care to elaborate? Not sure what pads are on the car. Maybe I will ask previous owner.

Care to elaborate? Not sure what pads are on the car. Maybe I will ask previous owner.

I think he's saying the ESP (Electronic Stability Program) is pulling in the rear brakes at times...Thus causing more dust.

I doubt it.

Fast1 probably has it right. Someone put a better (less dust) pad up front, but not the rear.

If it were a caliper hanging up, you'd see it on one side more than the other. And with individual padlets, and individual pistons, it's not likely.

[if you are looking for a lower dust pad than the OEM I would not look at EBC. I put the EBC redstuff on my Lotus and Audi and was basically no better than their OEM pads for dust, and the yellowstuff supposedly dusts more than the redstuff. I am about to put Girodisc magic pads on the G to lessen the dust, one owner I talked to said by 80%. I also considered the Centrix posi quiet as I found several people who said those dust a lot less also.

Yeah good call Mike on the caliper sticking or not. Probably is just due to different brake pads front to rear. Next time I take it in I will have them look. Thanks for the input guys.

What wheels do you have? Do you have more wheel lip on the back? Mine still has the stock pads front and rear but with a bigger rear lip rim my rear wheels get dusty (6+ rear lip). With my stock wheels they never looked dirty.

Stock Callistos are on the car right now. Who knows. Guess I will just live with until I need new brake pads.

its honestly not that noticable to us common folk. Even looking at it saturday it didnt look that much worse. But then I know how you have hawk eyes...