UEFA CL FINAL

Diablo_4_Ever

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Barcelona
    • Man Utd

From a respected football site.

The only qualification to Lionel Messi's claim to be regarded as the best player of all time is his 'failure' to win the World Cup - or, to be more precise, win it for Argentina in the manner of Diego Maradona. Yet Messi now possesses three European Cup winners medals to Maradona's none and, at the age of 23, has already far eclipsed the total of club honours - eight - that his countryman won during his turbulent career. Is that reason to state that Messi is actually the better player? No, far from it. It's simply another way of fretting about the difficulty of comparing players from different generations. Different times, different games, different priorities, different measurements: club for Messi v country for Maradona. They can't be compared.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So there you go then..so even calling the 2011 Barca team the greatest ever really isnt a fair comparo either. Done.

Swil I knew which Ronaldo you were talking about , the fat one :icon_mrgreen:

I really liked his style but he didn't last too long.

Swil I knew which Ronaldo you were talking about , the fat one :icon_mrgreen:

I really liked his style but he didn't last too long.

So then why'd you bring up the other clown?

Three World Cups and winning TWO is about as long as a career anyone would wish for. :lol2:

Highest goal scorer in the history of the World Cup (15), 62 goals in 97 games for his National Team. Easily one of the greatest players of all-time. I'd say a 15 year career in pro football is long enough wouldn't you? He had a good 10 years at a very high world class level, from '96 when he got to Barca at 19yrs old to 2006 when he was winning championships at Real Madrid with Zidane... Let's give Leonel Messi 10-12 years winning championships and dominating the world stage before we star talking about greatest ever. He probably will be right there since he's accomplished so much and is so young.

And saying "the fat one" is kind of silly...you can't refer to a player the way he is now when he's retired. AFTER his prime. :eusa_wall:

So then why'd you bring up the other clown?

I just thought I would make a point because most people consider Cristiano Ronaldo the best player in the world at a present moment.

Swil you can't be serious assigning all the Brasilian national team success of that period to Ronaldo alone, their whole team was in excellent form when those things happened, what happened with Brasil at the last world cup?

If the player that you perceive to be the greatest of all time happened to come from a country that never won the world cup, let's say Australia, would you still think he is the greatest player of all time? Of course you would, Ronaldo was lucky enough to be part of an awesome team.

I know you are inlove with the Brasilian team and its players but get the wool of your eyes my friend :P he retired few months ago and he was fat even when he played for AC Milan.

He was a very good player but quite lazy, watching play not just score, he would hang around for others to feed him, when nobody was there to feed him he wouldn't score that much, Ronaldo was a killer finisher I will give him that but he NEVER worked as hard as Messi.

I like him very very much, in my top 5 favorites players of all time no doubt he's one of the best players the sport's ever seen but facts are facts :)

Ok let's stop arguing about this because it can go on forever.

Swil.....I know you are inlove with the Brasilian team.....

No, Im only in love with Brasilian WOMEN. :icon_thumleft:

July 30: Barcelona v Manchester United in Washington D.C.

I think I have to drop my DC friends a note. Anyone else interested? Tix from $185 and up