Well..What do you guys think.

Guest Rob Burgundy

Guest Rob Burgundy

I'm going to try to make this simple and to the point. For those of you who dont know or remember I do competitive golf long drive competitions. This Saturday there is a local golf long drive competitor trying to set a Guinness world record for the worlds "longest backwards golf drive".

For anyone who doesn't know what that looks like here is me hitting the shot a couple years ago.

The current record is 219 yards which is extremely short and I know even if he isn't on that day very well it will still likely be broken by him.

Short summary. He says hes aiming for 310 yards. I hit this shot consistently 350+

My dilemma. The guy is in his late 40's. Every-time I see him hes pitching me on the newest MLM or random business hes involved in.Hes always driving some run down hunk of junk...acts like hes a big shot but anyone around can obviously see right through the charade.

I morally conflicted if I show up on Saturday to challenge the record and try to take that from him so im in the Guinness book of world records myself.

I feel like this is one of those types that this may be all he has and his only claim to fame and that by me beating him it would be a selfish thing to do and add little happiness to my life,but potentially take something meaningful away from his.

Extra things to consider.

1.He has been pretty arrogant about his upcoming record feat and seems to be borderline taunting others on his "press release" about how hes the best at this 100%

2. He is the one I originally saw this particular shot from...when I made the comment I might make an appearance he suggested that he taught me everything he knows and thats why Ive one as many competitions as I have. That's not the case and Ive only had brief chats with him about technique before.

So the options.

A.I show up,beat him at the event he put together to try to claim the record for himself

B.I leave it alone completely forget about a silly world record and go about my life

C. I dont show up,let him beat it and hold the record for a year and then go about the process myself and take the record later.

What say ye' brethren?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's a legitimate competition why wouldn't you compete? The record is meaningless if all the good players sandbag and some douche wins. He should have to earn it!

That being said "if it doesn't make you happy, or doesn't make you money, fcuk it"

Does it do either?

Guest Rob Burgundy
If it's a legitimate competition why wouldn't you compete? The record is meaningless if all the good players sandbag and some douche wins. He should have to earn it!

That being said "if it doesn't make you happy, or doesn't make you money, fcuk it"

Does it do either?

Ah the other part I didnt explain was that this event was set up by him for him...but I had also talked to the officials already and they said if there is another competitor there the same day they would see them as well...So I could go and they would legitimately count me in it but I feel like it would be a dick move showing up at his event to beat him. The comments made by him are " theres nobody else around that can do what I do as well as I can do,many have tried and failed etc etc..

The happiness would be minimal except to able to say "Yeah I hold a world record". Not much to it. No money involved at all.

Guest Rob Burgundy
Go for the record, do you think he would have a moral dilemma?

Probably not but the lack of him having one doesnt help me in pretending like I dont too.

This is such a silly situation for me but I just have this kind of sick feeling in my gut like I would feel very guilty if I did.

It sounds like the guy is an arrogant prick who's pissed you off, if that's the case and you want to put him in his place then go for it. It sounds like it's going to bug the shit out of you if he gets this record and brags about it every time he sees you. If not, then forget about it and go on with your life.

Thats pretty much where I am at. I feel like I want to take him down a notch...but at the same time I feel like this maybe the last "notch" this guy has.

Is it my right to be the one to do that?

Why not? I wouldn't worry about it. Think of it this way, if you're better at that than he is, then his record is meaningless. Go up against him, do your best, and whoever wins gets the record. And the added bonus is you shut him up for a while.

Guest Rob Burgundy

Hmm thats also interesting. Out of the 4 responders so far they are all "Go for the record"

I thought there would be a more split opinion. Maybe I am just over thinking it then..

Maybe I am just over thinking it then..

A record is only as legitimate as the competition which is present. I personally hold the bigwheel speed record down my driveway, but if nobody else tries what good is it?

If he is arrogant enough to run his mouth that much then he's only going to be 10x worse once he actually has a printed record. Show up and let the best man win.

fwiw, you'll probably be the first guy here with a guinness record, outside of my illegitimate bigwheel terminal velocity attempt. :icon_super:

Personally I would either show up and beat the record. Or dont show up and plan on beating the record at a different time. Leaning towards the second option. But I hate arrogant pricks so I might end up doing the first and show him up in front of everyone.

Let him be and have his day of glory . Whatever satisfaction you get out of it might not outweigh the bad vibes that will go around if you rain on his parade. Sounds like he is a loser anyway so what do you have to prove? Nothing at all.

I'm with dad and say let him be. If you challenge him & likely win, he will (a) be a sore loser & diss you at every opportunity and then some; or (b ) claims that half your title belongs to him since, according to his story, he taught you everything plus he was the original record holder. Chances are it's a combination of both and if he's really slick about it, he'll be all smiles when he's with you and plays out the master praising his disciple routine and then trashes you behind your back.

Let him be and see how it plays out. If you really can't stand it, then arrange something on your own to set a new record.

C. I dont show up,let him beat it and hold the record for a year and then go about the process myself and take the record later.

What say ye' brethren?

I would pick Option C.

Let him have his 15mins of happiness and beat the record later in the future. That way you get the last laugh.

I would let him set it and have his record for a bit. Let him enjoy it.

You can always come back in a year and crush it, then rub some salt in the wound by telling him how he "personally inspired you" with his "zeal for life" and "competitive spirit" to break his record. Thanks man!

:icon_mrgreen:

tiger_mom_meme.jpg

Let him be and have his day of glory . Whatever satisfaction you get out of it might not outweigh the bad vibes that will go around if you rain on his parade. Sounds like he is a loser anyway so what do you have to prove? Nothing at all.

:iamwithstupid: