Bentley new models?

topjay

Anyone else heard anything about the 4x4?

From pistonheads:

"Hi chaps,

Working for a Bentley dealership, I though I'd just let you know that Bentley previewed several new models in Shanghai last week. With limited details from our bosses who were there, here is what they saw;

Continental GT V8 - rumoured to be the 550bhp version in turbo guise. Apparently the front and rear end has been re-styled slightly to distinguish it from the W12. Aimed more at the 'younger customer' or Porsche driver, the price will still be around £150,000. No more details than that.

Flying Spur - probably the most significant car there. Instead of it being a carbon copy of the GT but with four doors, nearly every panel has been re-styled and resembles "a mini Mulsanne" according to those who saw it. Bentley want this car to fill the gap left by the Arnage (so they said at the preview) and a customer base they want to tap back in to. No word on price or other details yet but on sale in the middle of 2010, apparentley.

GT Convertible - apparently available by the end of this year, the new GTC will look similar to the GT but again, Bentley have modified the front and rear end to give it its own individuality - the front grille and rear lights are apparentley different to the GT. Both V8's and W12 will be available as engine choices. No word on prices.

And probably the most interesting finale. Bentley finally confirmed that they are working on an luxury SUV. With limited details we understand that a release date of around 2013/4 is somewhat accurate but as for prices and engines, one Bentley source did indicate around 150,000 to 170,000 euros snd V8 power. I would imagine with Bentleys / Porsche connections it would probably be based on the next generation Cayenne. As for a diesel engine, no announcement was made. But I'm would imagine this is in the works.

Over to you...."

In the 90s, Bentley custom made several 4x4s using Range Rover bits for the Sultan of Brunei. It was called the Dominator. I wonder if they will use the same name?

No idea, but I'm guessing it will be a glorified Cayenne/Q7. Not sure who wants a $200K SUV though...

Emerging markets like China and India, perhaps? Probably the Middle East too then...

Emerging markets like China and India, perhaps? Probably the Middle East too then...

Hard to say about Asia with those prices. Most of those countries have huge import taxes that near 100%. The Cayenne Turbo starts at $300K USD here. If a Bentley SUV comes it at 160K GBP, that would mean it would show up in China with a price tag of over 3.6MM RMB, or about $560K. That's gotta be a tough sell for an SUV. Even though I saw some guy driving a Mulsanne the other day which is nearly $1MM, a Drophead at probably $1MM, and Aventadors also priced at nearly $1MM, I don't think an SUV could ever demand that price.

SUV's just don't really have that cachet.

I could see Bentley SUV coming in at Continental GT prices or lower. 160K just seems way too expensive for an SUV.

The outgoing boss at Bentley was in charge of Porsche previously and he hated SUVs, he left Porsche and then they produced the Cayenne.

He leaves Bentley and...

A few like Car and EVO have mentioned that Bentley want to produce a SUV.

Although I don't know what SUV sales are like in Asia I would imagine that this would be a solid sales product in Cheshire and the US.

• 3 months later...