• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Almond milk?

Milk from an Almond?

A nut that needs milking?

You bunch of nappy wearing bed wetting Sallys, only ladies can milk my nuts and they can guzzle all they can handle.

• 1 year later...

So some in this thread got into a debate about whether humans should drink milk because according to some it makes no sense for humans to drink the milk of a cow. The argument goes that humans were not evolved to drink the milk of other animals, so it's a food you shouldn't consume. Well anyway, I was doing some reading on the subject, and learned some interesting facts.

Basically, certain portions of the human population are, it seems, evolved to be able to drink milk. But most humans to this day still cannot (are lactose intolerant). What leads to the misconception however is the belief that humans have not evolved any since we appeared on this Earth. We have. Most humans only produce lactase, which is needed to digest lactose (the sugar in milk) as a baby. Then as they grow, and stop drinking their mother's milk, they stop producing lactase. Without lactase, lactose rots in the digestive system.

But just as humans have evolved things such as white skin (a fairly recent development in human history), some populations also evolved an adaption to produce lactase throughout their entire lives. This includes some sub-populations of Africa and also a certain subset of Europeans (Northern Europeans). It seems that at some point in human history for these populations, there was a need to survive by drinking milk as part of the diet. As a result, an adaption occurred thus allowing these humans to able to drink milk throughout their lives. This white population of Europeans make up the ancestors of a great many white Americans, which is why milk is a staple part of the American diet for so many.

So, technically-speaking, if you are able to digest milk, then you are actually evolved to be able to drink milk. If you are lactose-intolerant, where your body stopped producing lactase, then you are not evolved to drink it. I find this very interesting because when people talk about how modern humans need to eat the way our Paleolithic ancestors ate, well that is not necessarily the case.

Wheels, I know I am consistently one of the first to burst your chops and I know I should not... But.

Did you just bump a two year old thread to post about milk?

Milk.

Milk?

I mean. Milk?

Wheels, I know I am consistently one of the first to burst your chops and I know I should not... But.

Did you just bump a two year old thread to post about milk?

Milk.

Milk?

I mean. Milk?

Duh, if you're going to research a specific subject for two years, it better be one thing.

milk.