Tour De France 2011

topcabron

Lets start discussing the hardest race on earth.

This year Its W I D E open. Contador, Schleck, Vinokourov, Evans, just to name a few contenders.

Stage one is going to be a crash fest with du gois. The last time they had this stage, Dopestrong capitalized on the crashes from Zulle and others and started his reign on the maillot juane.

My pick?

1st: Contador

2nd: Sanchez

3rd: Vinokourov/Leipheimer.

4th: Schleck

Look for Van garteren, Levi Leipheimer, and Horner to have an American presence that could break the top four.

Anything can happen with crashes in the first week and no prolog to separate the early yellow.

Cavendish will be in form for the green.

Climbers? Too many to list.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Contador (hate admitting this)

2. Leipheimer

3. Evans

4. Schleck

Schleck in 4th only because of a mechanical/issue/bad day

Schleck was in all kinds of hurt at the Tour of Switzerland.

He may have gotten it wrong for leading up to the Tour.

Evans? I don't think he will have it.

1. Contador

2. Schleck

3. Evans

4. Wiggins

5. Horner

On his best day, Vino will not be anywhere near the podium. He never was at his prime when he was doped beyond belief, no chance now. I like Levi, he just can't take the accelerations the way others can and he will likely crack on a big climb.

I have high hopes for TJ. I think he is the next really big American hope. I also think that Rabobank has a good hope with Robert Gesink as a dark horse as well as Frank Schleck if Andy falters.

As for the sprint competition, I am all Cavendish all the time. That is my horse, no matter what. Hushold is a good bet, but internal team politics with Farrar is going to make that tough too.

It is going to be a great race. I wish that they had sorted out the Contador/Clentuborol fiasco, but whatever it will still be awesome.

1. Contador

2. Schleck

3. Evans

4. Wiggins

5. Horner

On his best day, Vino will not be anywhere near the podium. He never was at his prime when he was doped beyond belief, no chance now. I like Levi, he just can't take the accelerations the way others can and he will likely crack on a big climb.

I have high hopes for TJ. I think he is the next really big American hope. I also think that Rabobank has a good hope with Robert Gesink as a dark horse as well as Frank Schleck if Andy falters.

As for the sprint competition, I am all Cavendish all the time. That is my horse, no matter what. Hushold is a good bet, but internal team politics with Farrar is going to make that tough too.

It is going to be a great race. I wish that they had sorted out the Contador/Clentuborol fiasco, but whatever it will still be awesome.

If you saw Gesink at the TdeS, you may rethink his chances.

This Contador issue is bad, but he made it through the Giro, and is going to ride away from everyone on stages 12, 13, 14, 18 and 19

I say, some dude will win and some other dude will come in second. Then they'll both be disqualified for doping. They'll appeal and lose and then admit they did dope, but also admit that Lance doped too. Then they'll cry.

I say, some dude will win and some other dude will come in second. Then they'll both be disqualified for doping. They'll appeal and lose and then admit they did dope, but also admit that Lance doped too. Then they'll cry.

Why so cynical ?

As long as there are chemists working overtime developing new molecules that can go undetected, there will never be a major sports venue or event that is clean. The stakes are way too high and the pressures to win are immense and lastly, the $$$$$$$$$$$. That is what it is all about.

The governing bodies are hypocritical fools and liars and to top it up, they are downright delusional thinking they are cleaning up the sport, ANY SPORT.

I think Contador will take it if he stays healthy and crash free. I'd like to see Andy Schleck give him a run for his money, but Contador just flat out-climbs him. I 'd love to see Levi close, I think he'll hit the top three or four but it will be several minutes out of top place. Cant wait to watch it!

The crash that put 30 riders ahead by 1:20 could make for an interesting early tour.

BMC, Radioshack, Leopard Trek, Garmin, and team sky could all be in contention tomorrow. The TTT could be more crucial than anticipated. If Leopard Trek pulls off a major TTT time which is probable against Sungard. Radioshack could put Horner in Yellow. Garmin could see Hushvold if they do well.

My money is on Leopard Trek to crush the ttt tomorrow and take over the yellow. Contador will have a deficit of at least two minutes on his rivals.

BMC will be extra motivated, but controlling the yellow jersey so early on a team that is not the strongest may be the worst thing for them. Evans will want it and BMC will go for it.

As long as there are chemists working overtime developing new molecules that can go undetected, there will never be a major sports venue or event that is clean. The stakes are way too high and the pressures to win are immense and lastly, the $$$$$$$$$$$. That is what it is all about.

The governing bodies are hypocritical fools and liars and to top it up, they are downright delusional thinking they are cleaning up the sport, ANY SPORT.

You have any inside info on % using PE in say NBA? I know it's widespread everywhere, but would be curious if it is like 90% (which I am considering for football - everyone but kickers and Payton Manning not using em) to basketball where it's most likely over 70%

You have any inside info on % using PE in say NBA? I know it's widespread everywhere, but would be curious if it is like 90% (which I am considering for football - everyone but kickers and Payton Manning not using em) to basketball where it's most likely over 70%

how about starting another thread, and leave this one specific to the 2011 Tour.

thanks

I did not see on the replay, but were any of the contenders involved or delayed by the second crash? The TTT will be very fun to watch tomorrow!

I did not see on the replay, but were any of the contenders involved or delayed by the second crash? The TTT will be very fun to watch tomorrow!

most notably......Contador

Dang, so he was held up by that second crash...that sucks.

eventhough 1:20 is not insurmountable, add to that the losses today and there is going to be some explosive tour ahead. At the very least, we are headed for the best tour in decades. Perhaps since Bernard and Greg dual in the 80"s

1st: Contador

2nd: Sanchez

3rd: Vinokourov/Leipheimer.

4th: Schleck

Hmm, both Contador and Sanchez 1:14 behind already :icon_winkle: . I think:

1. Schleck

2. Contador

3. Van den Broeck

4. Sanchez

Hmm, both Contador and Sanchez 1:14 behind already :icon_winkle: . I think:

1. Schleck

2. Contador

3. Van den Broeck

4. Sanchez

I think we can forget Sanchez. His team wont be able to support the defending of the yellow if he gets to that point.

Cadel has it set perfectly. Even though BMC went into today thinking yellow, they should be thankful they just missed. Now Garmin has to defend and expend energy. Cadel will hide for the rest of the tour and follow wheels until the end. If he attacks, I will be surprised based on all the years he has ridden into second place.

Contador down 1:40 is not a big problem, but a problem none the less. Now he and his team has to aggressive to set him up for the climbs.

Radioshack is looking good with all their talent, along with Leopard Trek. Garmin and HTC will battle to the end for the green, but Phillipe Gilbert could surprise.

interesting fact, Hushvold could hold the three major jerseys by the end.

Started today in polka dot, tomorrow in yellow, if he sprints well, the green.

I have to say, I dont remember being this excited about the tour so early in...great TTT and the drama continues to grow...and we are only just finished with stage two!

That was a great finish today! Looked like AC was huffing a bit and could not get away from everyone. Not sure why they are all fighting so hard at this point but it makes for some great racing. Do you think he is panicked at all because of the deficit in time? Isn't that jumping the gun abit?

Cadel Evans looked great and it was nice to see Tor up there at the front still holding onto the yellow. I was looking for Andy Schleck, but I never saw him...ill have to wait for the replay to see the standings to see where he came in. Still a great race today!

That was a great finish today! Looked like AC was huffing a bit and could not get away from everyone. Not sure why they are all fighting so hard at this point but it makes for some great racing. Do you think he is panicked at all because of the deficit in time? Isn't that jumping the gun abit?

Cadel Evans looked great and it was nice to see Tor up there at the front still holding onto the yellow. I was looking for Andy Schleck, but I never saw him...ill have to wait for the replay to see the standings to see where he came in. Still a great race today!

AC is not trying to win anybody over but himself. Today he was trying to prove to himself that he is in the game. Cadel did a great job for someone who doesn't have to do anything. He was trying to prove to AC that he is better........and he was by millimeters.

Its all a head game until the mountains in a week. Schleck is conserving energy. I am happy for Garmin, they have had a great tour, and its only in the first week.

One interesting aspect of the Tour so far is the team competition. Team Saxo Bank, Alberto's team, is in dead last. Not just by a little, but a lot. They are really putting all their faith in only one competition and that is the Yellow. Alberto is the first rider on their team at 41st. Im sure things will change, but a hole in the Tour is never easy to climb out of, and the deeper you get, the more effort it takes to recover.

I almost forgot Vino! He was up there at the front as well and that guy can climb. Glad to see AC out there fighting trying to make up time...just a really great race so far!