SL caught on fire

qvpower

My friend in Arizona took these pictures of a sl that caught on fire at their company parking lot... know anyone in AZ with this car?

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo3.JPG

photo4.JPG

i was right down the street when this happened...

i already called dibs..

makes ya wonder what the shop it was at was doing? :eusa_think:

i was right down the street when this happened...

i already called dibs..

makes ya wonder what the shop it was at was doing? :eusa_think:

I want the mirros lol.

Would love to hear the story on this one...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like the fire is right on the oil line that was known to decay, leak, and catch fire. Mine was replaced. It's not in an easy to get to location.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like the fire is right on the oil line that was known to decay, leak, and catch fire. Mine was replaced. It's not in an easy to get to location.

Was there any recall on that? I should check on mine.

That's where the oil cooler is. It sure doesn't look like a fuel line problem or the whole car would have went up in smoke

Ya know, every time I think about dropping my comprehensive coverage, I see one of these threads and decide to keep it

Was there any recall on that? I should check on mine.

Supposedly there was a TSB (or equivalent) but I think it was one of those "If you have the rear left quarter panel off, replace bla bla line, otherwise leave it alone." The repair shop had called about something else and the factory said to replace the line while they were in there b/c it was known to separate (don't know the exact details). I don't think I have a picture of it but I'll check when I get the chance. It was unnerving that something like that wasn't taken care of under warranty. Who knows, maybe it was supposed to be but to be honest, my auth dealer was terrible.

Just an FYI...I saw the car today in person...

The theory at this point is that the power steering reservoir which is mounted right there, about 4 inches above the manifold may have leaked. It was actually in the shop for "intermittent smoking"....

It’s obviously trashed….

That's where the oil cooler is. It sure doesn't look like a fuel line problem or the whole car would have went up in smoke

Ya know, every time I think about dropping my comprehensive coverage, I see one of these threads and decide to keep it

Why would you even consider dropping coverage? :eusa_think: