watch maintenance, is it necessary?

Camel Toe Juice

Is the service/overhaul really necessary every few years?

I pulled this info on the net, the video links on the bottom are pretty cool.

Breitling Maintenance Service vs. Overhaul - Desc. & Prices

WHY MAINTENANCE ?

Your Breitling watch is a sophisticated precision instrument which is constantly subjected to a wide variety of stresses and strains. In a very tight volume, numerous components are operating together and contribute in their own way to ensure all the time and chronograph functions. Wear and tear is the unavoidable result of any mechanical movement. Maintenance serves to control this phenomenon by renewing lubrication as well as replacing worn parts. For example, your movement is protected by a case fitted with gaskets to ensure its water resistance. Under the influence of various external elements, these gaskets progressively deteriorate and must be periodically replaced. Your watch must be regularly maintained in order to ensure it operates as efficiently as possible.

MAINTENANCE DESCRIPTION

The Authorized Breitling Service Centers offer two major services:

1. The Maintenance Service

The frequency of this operation mainly depends on how often you use your watch in water. It includes:

Mechanical Watch:

Balance wheel and escapement cleaning and lubrication, checking of the movement and the watch functions. Cleaning of case and metal bracelet, replacement of all gaskets and control of waterresistance.

Quartz Watch:

Battery replacement. Checking of all working parameters of the movement and the watch functions. Cleaning of case and metal bracelet, replacement of all gaskets and water-resistance control. An explanatory video is available at: www.breitling.com/service-quartz

2. The Overhaul

The frequency of this operation is about 4 to 6 years, but it can be influenced by the way the watch is used.

Mechanical or Quartz Watch:

Movement overhaul. Complete dismantling of the mechanism, cleaning, replacement of worn-out components, assembling, lubrication and adjustment of functions and daily rate. Exchange of battery on quartz watches. Refurbishing of case and metal bracelet, replacement of all gaskets and water-resistance control. An explanatory video is available at: www.breitling.com/service-chrono

Polishing (refurbishing) the case and bracelet restores the watch to its original appearance. It must only be done by a watchmaker specially trained in an authorized Breitling technical center. The above-mentioned maintenance procedures must be applied for each intervention, which is why

we strongly urge you to contact an officially authorized Breitling technical center. The complete list of authorized retailers and technical centers is available on our website www.breitling.com

The maintenance of your watch is the best way to protect your investment.

SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICES IN USD - UNITED STATES

Prices subject to change without prior notice.

MAINTENANCE SERVICE

SELFWINDING WATCH $100.–

SELFWINDING CHRONOGRAPH $130.–

CHRONOGRAPH WITH COMPLICATIONS $130.–

CHRONOGRAPH WITH PERPETUAL CALENDAR & SPLIT-SECOND MECHANISM Based on an estimate

QUARTZ/MULTIFUNCTION QUARTZ WATCH $80.-

QUARTZ CHRONOGRAPH $100.–

COMPLETE OVERHAUL

SELFWINDING WATCH $320.–

SELFWINDING CHRONOGRAPH $520.–

CHRONOGRAPH WITH COMPLICATIONS $650.–

CHRONOGRAPH WITH PERPETUAL CALENDAR & SPLIT-SECOND MECHANISM Based on an estimate

QUARTZ/MULTIFUNCTION QUARTZ WATCH $280.-

QUARTZ CHRONOGRAPH $350.–

EMERGENCY * -.–

* The maintenance service for the Emergency comprises all the work required to ensure smooth operating of the instrument as well as re-polishing of the case and bracelet. Two years after its purchase, the first maintenance service is provided free of charge by Breitling. Each intervention is guaranteed 12 months.

Maintenance service: an explanatory video is available on www.breitling.com/service-quartz

Complete overhaul: an explanatory video is available on www.breitling.com/service-chrono

I would say and no, depends on the watch. I send my AP's and Patek's in for service every 3 to 4 years, some of them need it beforehand which i find absolutely appalling and ridiculous. I have some older Cartiers and lambda lambda lambda and the omega mu's and i send them when they stop working lol.

• 4 weeks later...
I would say and no, depends on the watch. I send my AP's and Patek's in for service every 3 to 4 years, some of them need it beforehand which i find absolutely appalling and ridiculous. I have some older Cartiers and lambda lambda lambda and the omega mu's and i send them when they stop working lol.

Thanks for the response. The watch completely stopped working and you could hear something rattle inside when you move the watch. I took it to the local watch shop and it turns out 3 screws came loose. They simply screwed them back on at no charge, Brietling was planning on charging me about $600 for an overhaul.

• 1 month later...
They simply screwed them back on at no charge, Brietling was planning on charging me about $600 for an overhaul.

Wow, that's crazy. Glad you got it fixed cheap!