Calabasas

Allan-Herbie

Drove around and looked around, and there are definitely some pluses and negatives.. Driving there, didnt take long at all.. Some very slight traffic, and from highway entrance, to offramp made it there in 17 minutes. Calabasa is litterly off the highway. Driving around the first thing I noticed, is omg, the roads are perfect, and there is ZERO traffic. Nice long windy roads with little stoplights. Everything is very suburbia.. Everything is new.. Sort of like where we live in Scottsdale. Coming home, ran into some traffic, at some points dead stop, but still didnt take any longer than 25 minutes, highway to highway.. It definitely seemed to be warmer there depending where we looked.. Off Mullholland, was about 10 degrees cooler than by the highway.. We are not familiar with the area, so didnt notice all that much to do.. I did like that everyday when I get off the highway to go home, there is an Exotic Car Dealer right on the corner..

So far what we have discussed:

Hollywood/Bev Hills

Positives= It factor, restaurants, nightlife, shopping, close to work

Downsides=cost,traffic,limited nice car use,stress

Calabasas

Positives= Massive homes for litterly 1/4 of what you spend in Beverly Hills. From what little Ive seen, a 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 million dollar home is equivalent to a 10-12 Million dollar home , and you get more land and privacy.. The roads are amazing.. You could have a nice older exotic, say a Countach/Diablo and you could actually enjoy driving it. The moment you leave your house you have awesome roads that lead to canyons etc, with little traffic.. In Beverly Hills, they are completely useless. Seems it would be less stressfull.. You dont have the fcuking annoying Tour Buses, retarded tourists etc everywhere.. Enjoyment of house that at this point I couldnt comfortably afford in Beverly Hills.. ( found an 11K sq ft home with a 50 seat movie theater even) . Also, cheaper house means more money for toys.. Wife likes Suburbia. New supermarkets, stores etc, vs everything being old and run down around here..

Only downside we can think of is the drive... and whether we will miss being able to be at all our favorite restaurants and bars in 10 minutes..

I have been living in Calabasas for 26 years I drive to Beverly hills every day at 6 am and back at 1 pm 25 minutes going 35 returning, the reason most people have moved there is it is not in the city of LA and has its own school system people don't want LA schools for there kids. If you want Info on all the areas to live and drive and restaurants and car stuff let me know.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been living in Calabasas for 26 years I drive to Beverly hills every day at 6 am and back at 1 pm 25 minutes going 35 returning, the reason most people have moved there is it is not in the city of LA and has its own school system people don't want LA schools for there kids. If you want Info on all the areas to live and drive and restaurants and car stuff let me know.

Good info! I figured at 6am it would be smooth sailing into L.A. ...

I like looking at houses so I was looking around a bit but do you want a house with a gate or not?

because this looks really good imho

2.1MM

http://www.davidwatkins.com/realestate/ind...5O91991U2qb47C7

3.8MM

http://www.davidwatkins.com/realestate/ind...5O91991U2qb47C7

I looked at both of those.. The first one is very nice, but its in a community.. I think we prefer something standalone.. All the communities are filled with kids and nosy neighbors..

We were discussing renting today for a year, to make sure we can live with the commute.. The rental market is similar to the retail market in that you can get a great home for half of one in L.A...Might be the way to go as I get a better house in the meantime, save more cash, and if we love it, a year from now for 4 mill Id imagine you could get a palace..

I looked at both of those.. The first one is very nice, but its in a community.. I think we prefer something standalone.. All the communities are filled with kids and nosy neighbors..

We were discussing renting today for a year, to make sure we can live with the commute.. The rental market is similar to the retail market in that you can get a great home for half of one in L.A...Might be the way to go as I get a better house in the meantime, save more cash, and if we love it, a year from now for 4 mill Id imagine you could get a palace..

Renting in Cali makes sense right now. You can get a place at half of what the mortgage would be.

Renting in Cali makes sense right now. You can get a place at half of what the mortgage would be.

This is all way out of my pricerange, but even in the 500-700k range i've been seeing that as well. Only on the super low end "blue collar" homes do you see rents coming in at 1.1-1.2% of value.

Higher end stuff seems to be in the 0.5% range which unless someone bought they house many years ago, they have to be losing their shirt on the deal.

This is all way out of my pricerange, but even in the 500-700k range i've been seeing that as well. Only on the super low end "blue collar" homes do you see rents coming in at 1.1-1.2% of value.

Higher end stuff seems to be in the 0.5% range which unless someone bought they house many years ago, they have to be losing their shirt on the deal.

Agree completely

This is just like the Ferrari Cali thread...Allan is tricking all of us. He is going to sell his place in the Beverly Hills and sell the 458, buy a smaller place in the suburbs and then buy a Veyron with the money he saved.

Not sure if you seen this one yet (Bell Canyon), property was listed at $4,750,000 in 2009 and today it's listed at $2,980,000; this is the viable winner!( * There is a price discrepancy, as some sites have this home listed far above it's current asking price, but the main sites such as Zillow, RedfFin and Trulia, have it listed at it's current price. Not to sure what that's about.)

2Duskfrontofhouse.jpg

5nightfrontofhouse.jpg

patiotwo.jpg

garage.jpg

formalfamilyempty.jpg

poolpatiobest.jpg

kitchen.jpg

roofpatiofireplace.jpg

This house is spectacular

Bell Canyon is not the way to go. If you need a list of reasons let me know

What about PKWY Calabasas? There is a home we are looking at to lease in a gated neighborhood. I forgot the name, but Id say there is maybe 30 homes in it, a mix and match of older and newer upscale homes?

:iamwithstupid:

Definitely. It's never been easier to be a Baller-on-a-Budget in SoCal housing as it right now. :lol2:

For whatever reason you have homeowners in the $1M to $2M range happily leasing homes for $3,500 - $6,000 a month. And that's not even talking about what's available in Riverside/San Bernadino/San Deigo Counties, which have each taken -50% depreciation hits since their peak in late 2006.

My figures are for highly-desireable areas in LA & OC, which at worst are down -20 to -25% max.

Very cool actually as it does really give you a great "test drive" oppurtunity as Allan is talking about doing without losing money.

What about PKWY Calabasas? There is a home we are looking at to lease in a gated neighborhood. I forgot the name, but Id say there is maybe 30 homes in it, a mix and match of older and newer upscale homes?

Behind the Chervon station, Stevie Wonder lives there...really underwhelming house. Don't ask.

Ahh the irony. SunPl too crowded.

So Calabasas...100, 115 in summer, not sure where you are commuting to in LA, however when I used to go down the 101 it was hit and miss, used to get on the freeway around 6:20am heading for the Gower exit. Local roads are awesome, if you have time. Cultural desert....mini mall hell.

From where I am PCH to near DTLA, it's 25 to 30 mins, leaving at 7am. A little longer when school is in, so I generally leave 10 - 15 mins earlier and the best thing it's always consistent and you have many options if you need to get off the freeway which has happened once a year since I have lived up here.

You should consider Topanga or Malibu, they have nice shitboxes up there if you really want privacy, large lot, good view etc. plus it's a lot cooler, though you are closer to Hollywood from Calabasas......the only problem is the 101 is jammed going into LA at night, its a parking lot.

One other thought...food. Gelson's in the Palisades is the best supermarket in LA, the Gelson's in Calabasas is very solid. Meats aren't as good, the PP Gelson's is a real butcher's shop, you can get any cut you want, quality is consistently great.

There goes the neighborhood. I've lived in Calabasas my whole life ( nearly ). Its so boring and safe here , are you sure you know what you are getting into?

Oh yeah, and I would think seriously about Bell Canyon. Only one way in to a neighborhood completely surrounded by brush, and ask the Realtor for the form you'll have to sign acknowledging its a stones throw away from serious nuclear contamination from the 50's where Rocketdyne used to have a leaking reactor. http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread14335/pg1

Its the kind of thing people figure out after they they come from out of town and buy there, later wondering why Bell Canyon has all these great huge houses at such amazing steals of a price. Stay away from Bell Canyon and Agoura under the dump such as Mont Calabasas.

BTW long time no see, everybody. Whasssupppppppp

Behind the Chervon station, Stevie Wonder lives there...really underwhelming house. Don't ask.

Ahh the irony. SunPl too crowded.

So Calabasas...100, 115 in summer, not sure where you are commuting to in LA, however when I used to go down the 101 it was hit and miss, used to get on the freeway around 6:20am heading for the Gower exit. Local roads are awesome, if you have time. Cultural desert....mini mall hell.

From where I am PCH to near DTLA, it's 25 to 30 mins, leaving at 7am. A little longer when school is in, so I generally leave 10 - 15 mins earlier and the best thing it's always consistent and you have many options if you need to get off the freeway which has happened once a year since I have lived up here.

You should consider Topanga or Malibu, they have nice shitboxes up there if you really want privacy, large lot, good view etc. plus it's a lot cooler, though you are closer to Hollywood from Calabasas......the only problem is the 101 is jammed going into LA at night, its a parking lot.

One other thought...food. Gelson's in the Palisades is the best supermarket in LA, the Gelson's in Calabasas is very solid. Meats aren't as good, the PP Gelson's is a real butcher's shop, you can get any cut you want, quality is consistently great.

Kind of off topic, but for meat, there is a fantastic butcher on Fallbrook that I have gone to quite a few times. They also have a great selection of seafood. It's a lot closer than going out to PP

http://www.jimsfallbrookmarket.com/

I also agree with the above about Bell Canyon. I have had a few friends that have lived in there. My complaint is the same as above, One way in/out and it is all brush and dirt. Small roads and there are quite a few celebrities in there, so even with a guarded gate, people still get in there and browse around (one of your complaints about your current situation).

Pretty quiet, but also in those RARE years that SoCal gets ridiculous rain, there has been some pretty bad damage in the past if you get a house that is on the "river"(wash) that runs through there.

There goes the neighborhood. I've lived in Calabasas my whole life ( nearly ). Its so boring and safe here , are you sure you know what you are getting into?

Oh yeah, and I would think seriously about Bell Canyon. Only one way in to a neighborhood completely surrounded by brush, and ask the Realtor for the form you'll have to sign acknowledging its a stones throw away from serious nuclear contamination from the 50's where Rocketdyne used to have a leaking reactor. http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread14335/pg1

Its the kind of thing people figure out after they they come from out of town and buy there, later wondering why Bell Canyon has all these great huge houses at such amazing steals of a price. Stay away from Bell Canyon and Agoura under the dump such as Mont Calabasas.

BTW long time no see, everybody. Whasssupppppppp

WASSUPPPP! Im moving right next to you!

There are some nice houses in Calabasas park about 6 or 7 gated community's not as much land as you may want, take a look along Mulholland highway there are some really big and private places with views and land, but you need to stay a bit back from the road every Sat and Sun all the bikes and exotics are heading into the canyons pretty noisy. That area is also cooler the ocean breeze comes in every day about 3 to 5 o'clock

There are some nice houses in Calabasas park about 6 or 7 gated community's not as much land as you may want, take a look along Mulholland highway there are some really big and private places with views and land, but you need to stay a bit back from the road every Sat and Sun all the bikes and exotics are heading into the canyons pretty noisy. That area is also cooler the ocean breeze comes in every day about 3 to 5 o'clock

Hopefully Ill be one of those noisy exotic car owners heading into the canyons soon!

Spent a few hours in Calabasas again today. So nice and refreshing to be driving down roads in the middle of the day, and be the only car in sight!