Common Gallardo oil leaks?

rdubs

Hi all,

I have a 2004 Gallardo 6-speed. A few months ago I noticed a very slow oil leak. I hate any kind of leak, in my opinion quarter million dollar cars (new) should not leak. So I brought it into the dealer. They said it was the front crank seal, which was lucky because it is relatively easy to get to and you can swap out the seal without needing to take a lot apart or dropping the engine. Something about how in 2004 they didn't use a spring-loaded seal to keep tension which they used in later years. Anyway, not too long after bringing it home I noticed yet another leak, possibly dripping from more than one spot (but close). Very slow leak, you can't see it dripping but if you put a piece of cardboard under the car you can see there is definitely something going on.

Where besides that front crank seal do Gallardos tend to leak from? Also if you guys have any idea of relative ranking, from easiest / cheapest to fix to worst case, that would be helpful. I guess I'll have to take it in again, hopefully they can find the leak even though it leaks only really slowly.

Thanks.

'Dubs

the dealer should have found the 2nd leak. they have dyes that can be mixed with engine oil and turns flurencent under UV light to diagnose the leak source.

i would call them to see if they can fix it right since the leak bothers you and was supposely fixed.

it's probably too difficult to trouble shoot without seeing the car.

Not that it will help your situation but I had an annoying leak that ended up having to do with the oil filter. I don't think it was the filter itself but something about the part the filter mounts to. No leaks since the dealer tightened things up.

Not that it will help your situation but I had an annoying leak that ended up having to do with the oil filter. I don't think it was the filter itself but something about the part the filter mounts to. No leaks since the dealer tightened things up.

This is correct. I have had some that the oil filter housing gsk. and the return pipe oring leak. This will let oil fill in the engine valley and will run down the front of the engine and could look like the front crank seal.

I have yet to replace a front crank seal many rear main seals but no front crank seals. It sound like it is the oil filter housing and or return pipe that are leaking. Do both at the same time as the intake must come off for them is be replaced.

^^^^ Jeff I replaced 1 or 2 at O.C. Was a pain to install with out the right tool.

Some 04 have loose oil pan bolts or the pan sealant will not seal correctly and cause a leak. also the seal for the water pump shaft exiting the block. Then you could have a leak from the oil pump to the block.

These are what i remember seeing and fixing. If I remember any others I'll post.

^^^^ Jeff I replaced 1 or 2 at O.C. Was a pain to install with out the right tool.

Some 04 have loose oil pan bolts or the pan sealant will not seal correctly and cause a leak. also the seal for the water pump shaft exiting the block. Then you could have a leak from the oil pump to the block.

These are what i remember seeing and fixing. If I remember any others I'll post.

Yes any one of thos can be the leaking. With out looking at the car on th hoist we can't say for sure. But we see allot of filter housing leaking know and very few of the others.

Thanks guys. The dealer checked it and turns out it was the front crank oil seal - again, the one they supposedly fixed. So they fixed it again, thankfully free of charge. But I did talk to them when dropping the car off and they said if it's coming from the front of the engine normally it's either the crank seal or the oil pump o-rings or gaskets. The oil pump job is about $700 they said, mostly labor. They said the valve covers have leaked before but rare. Also good was that unlike my little Toyota MR2 project car, the G doesn't have camshafts coming out of the engine for a timing belt, instead the timing chain is enclosed within the engine so no penetrations to outside the engine which could leak.

Anyway, glad it's that and nothing else. Take care all.

oil filter housing gasket and pipe o-ring leak more often then a valve cover. If they do not install the front crank seal correctly it will leak again. Also better to use the correct tool to help with install.