2012 BMW M5 twin turbo driven hard. Video

Robster Craws

9hp difference, same type of transmission, and similar weight. Am I missing something?

Yes, you are comparing the new M5 to the old RS6, very soon it will be bye bye BMW :icon_thumleft:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you are comparing the new M5 to the old RS6, very soon it will be bye bye BMW :icon_thumleft:

Nope. New vs. New

They say the new one will be less powerful, or around the same power level. Likely to use a smaller twin turbo V8 like the M5. M5 will likely have much more torque, but probably weigh slightly more too.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1057353...s-launch-likely

Nope. New vs. New

They say the new one will be less powerful, or around the same power level. Likely to use a smaller twin turbo V8 like the M5. M5 will likely have much more torque, but probably weigh slightly more too.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1057353...s-launch-likely

It will have a V8 TT with over 580HP, trust me on this one :icon_thumleft:

It will have a V8 TT with over 580HP, trust me on this one :icon_thumleft:

What will the torque be though? That is what is important when moving these heavy beasts. M5 is 552hp/501lb.ft. of torque across almost the entire rev range.

New M5 looks sick! Cant wait to see one in person. If it had a AWD it would be the ultimate DD. I just picked up a 11 535xi and LOVE it! Such a good dd.

^ it's shame that color (Chrome Shadow) is not available for production cars.

Might be available trough Individual at some point. ;)

Excellent post.

So says the guy who is crazy for 550's.

I guess we'll just have to wait till all the owner reviews of the new M5 start rolling in here to see how awesome it is...

I could not STAND the 535's auto transmission though! It had "paddles" and everything was the opposite of what I expected. It was a decent car but really frustrated me. I pulled on the left paddle expecting a downshift and quickly realized that it upshifts. It had +/- on either side. Not good.

You drove the previous 5 series then because the new 5 has dedicated paddle shifters. The new 8 speed auto is phenomenal.

So says the guy who is crazy for 550's.

I guess we'll just have to wait till all the owner reviews of the new M5 start rolling in here to see how awesome it is...

Please tell me what is wrong with the 550?

Nothing... in 2001.

Nothing has changed about it since then but I suppose you were trying to get back at skokos... "hey you like a very elegant looking touring car...so HA!"

Nothing has changed about it since then but I suppose you were trying to get back at skokos... "hey you like a very elegant looking touring car...so HA!"

He's a fuckwit. Wilsons just mad because all 165 pounds of his prepubescent frame has a hard time seeing over the dash of anything more then a chevy volt. Poor dudes got a major napoleonic complex. So angry all the time.

Very impressive cars but something about the interior and cockpits in BMWs has never appealed to me. Cool vid! Get one Rob!!

:iamwithstupid: My last Bimmer was 2006 5 series and never bought again cuz the interior just seem to plastic for me.

• 1 month later...

Too bad the RS6 is not sold in the US or else I would seriously consider one of those as a DD. I think the new M5 is going to be an incredible DD. Sure, it will never sound as good as the N/A V10 revving to 8,000 rpm, but the turbo car will have something that the old M5 was seriously lacking: torque. Heavy sedans and peaky powerbands don't go hand in hand.

Too bad the RS6 is not sold in the US or else I would seriously consider one of those as a DD. I think the new M5 is going to be an incredible DD. Sure, it will never sound as good as the N/A V10 revving to 8,000 rpm, but the turbo car will have something that the old M5 was seriously lacking: torque. Heavy sedans and peaky powerbands don't go hand in hand.

There are rumors that they will be offerin a tri Turbo Diesel variant of the M5 that has AWD. I guess the hp will be a little less then the gas, like 520 or 530, but the torque is supposed to be like 650lb-ft

There are rumors that they will be offerin a tri Turbo Diesel variant of the M5 that has AWD. I guess the hp will be a little less then the gas, like 520 or 530, but the torque is supposed to be like 650lb-ft

Yes indeed.....Diesel M5 Tri

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Wow thats awesome!! Saw one on the road yesterday and loved it!! if they could put AWD on this I would have a hard time not buying one.