Range Rover Evoque

Robster Craws

The Evoque looks good IMO. If it were twice the size I'd be all over it. The logical guess is that the Range Rover cachet without the big price tag coupled with a usable size and reasonable cargo load wrapped up in a semi-masculine design is the key. Good for Land Rover at any rate. I've owned four Range Rovers in various incarnations and blemishes and all I'm loyal and love them through all four seasons here. You guys are spoiled with sun 24/7/365 :icon_mrgreen:

Twice the size? Doesn't the new ford explorer fit that segment?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Twice the size? Doesn't the new ford explorer fit that segment?

Ninjas don't drive Fords, vyce!

• 1 month later...

I got a chance to drive it. When i did though, they also had a Dynamic one on hand, which just looks that much better than the Pure one i checked out.

Driving it was alright. I hated it within the city though, at low speeds it felt heavy, numb and the suspension made it difficult to enjoy the ride. I'm driving an Acura so the turbo lag really just felt like another Vtech thing so it didn't really bother me all that much.

The interior was really nice, it looked really cool and made it more fun to use in general. It wasn't all that difficult to use either, so that wasn't bad. (unlike that stupid ass X3, seriously, I hated that X3 so much...I won't even get into it, but holy crap it was horrible).

What surprised me the most with the Evoque was the highway driving and cornering at midrange speeds (62mph to 95mph), it gripped really well, felt really stable and was actually a hell of a lot fun. If i were using this car more on long twisty drives, it would have won easily, but because I found it really harsh and annoying at low speeds, I just couldn't go with it. Overall, it was Much better than I thought it would be and definitely the surprising one of the bunch that I tried (GLK, Q5, X3 3.5 and RDX).

Yeah, it's a bit of a feminine car (Meh, it's still a second vehicle for me, so whatever), but was a good overall package as a second vehicle. The panoramic sunroof doesn't open, BUT there is no bar going through it either like in the other vehicles with a panoramic.

If i were getting one back in November, I was going to have to wait till February for it, and it's probably even longer now.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm trying to understand how that demographic could want/desire this car.

Not because it's a bad car for the money, it's actually pretty nice, but if it were for me I would have chosen to go with a pre-owned Sport instead which can easily be had for the price of a new optioned-out Evoque.

Mako, what's the latest news with this? I'll be needing a vehicle in August for the wife and the Evoque is on the list. I don't know if I"ll be able to get one. It's going to be a lease so I don't need to order anything, just need to find on in stock somewhere at that time. It's not the only option though, RR sport or Panamera S are on the list so far. May add others closer to August.

Anyone decide to buy one? Over the past two weeks I've been seeing them all over here in MD/DC.

Ours is supposed to be here sometime in Feburary.

Mako, what's the latest news with this? I'll be needing a vehicle in August for the wife and the Evoque is on the list. I don't know if I"ll be able to get one. It's going to be a lease so I don't need to order anything, just need to find on in stock somewhere at that time. It's not the only option though, RR sport or Panamera S are on the list so far. May add others closer to August.

My wife learned to drive a car at 26 and is intimidated by anything larger than a crossover (X3, Evoque, etc). So the decision for us was easy.

But again, if she were an American girl who's been driving since 16 and the bigger SUVs didn't scare her, I'd be all over a used RR Sport for the $60k that the Evoque we ordered came in at.

The Evoque is nice, really nice actually, but the revised Sport (2010 model? Can't remember the last refresh) is superior in everything besides gas mileage/handling.

Funny enough the Evoque is actually coming in a little faster in magazine accel times than the Sport, which blew my mind. The Sport seemed faster from my "butt-dyno". :icon_mrgreen:

• 4 weeks later...

Took delivery on Saturday last week, drove it out to Palm Springs for a weekend get-away.

After a few hundred miles now my opinion is that it's a nice little car, seems bigger inside than when you get out and look at it. The tech stuff all works, no typical Land Rover issues so far or defective parts.

They've definitely tuned the throttle response and steering for the city versus long cruises, very fast reacting for both. In fact when combined with the small, thick, steering wheel the car actually encourages you to drive like a felon...throwing it all over the place and stomping on the gas between lights like you're competing in a Rally timed segment.

Honestly if you were to take it to SP, tune it another +50-60hp to say 300hp, lower it, and put some performance wheels/tires on it you'd absolutely have the equivalent of a little X5M or X6M for sure. Those of you who have driven either of the big M SUVs know what I mean.

Overall though I'd still go for a Sport S/C if the car were for me, I just like the bigger RRs and feel they're more masculine. For my wife the Evoque is perfect, she loves it.

And that seems to be the target audience for this car as we suspected, because each time we've come back to it when it's been parked somewhere in OC there are always 2-3 women standing around it saying "omg it's soooooo cute, I want one I want one, I'm telling my husband for sure" and all that shit.

Good car for the most part, they'll do well with it.

IMG_1228a.jpg

IMG_1229a.jpg

IMG_1231a.jpg

IMG_1232a.jpg

because each time we've come back to it when it's been parked somewhere in OC there are always 2-3 women standing around it saying "omg it's soooooo cute, I want one I want one, I'm telling my husband for sure" and all that shit.

I saw one on a parking lot here in Oslo yesterday, and it attracted a surprising amount of attention from both genders :)

Will it remain stock?

I may do wheels and tires for it as the stock units are pretty weak, but who knows.

When I think about it I ask myself 'what do I care', because I'll rarely drive it and she's not into how cars look.

I may do wheels and tires for it as the stock units are pretty weak, but who knows.

When I think about it I ask myself 'what do I care', because I'll rarely drive it and she's not into how cars look.

Gotcha.

thinking of picking up a black/black or a stormtrooper (white/black) evoque. i just test drove one last week. it looks TINY from the outside (sort of like a SCION/ELEMENT) but once inside, it's got room. not spacious. but nothing less than you'd get in a compact 4-door sedan (like: 3 series, IS250/350, etc). the car is also quite zippy for it's size. i really thought the car would be really UNDER powered for what it was... but surprised by how quick the car is (not fast... just zippy) i think overall a GREAT car for DD use and getting around town! looks great with even the factory 20" wheels, or the KAHN wheels. i wonder how deep of a concave look you can get with ADV1's or something...

Very nice car, congrats! I wanted one too but since I couldn't get one to get me through this winter, I'll get a MY 2013 when the time comes, also I was a bit reluctant to get a first model year Land Rover mostly because of you , Mako, and your musings about it being a brand new model developed under Tata Motors bla bla :)

Enjoy yours though! Feminine or not I still think it's a very cool car!