Range Rover Evoque

Robster Craws

i saw and drove one. i think it's a fantastic small SUV. i liked the way it drove very much and styling (interior and exterior) is the best in class. it looks small but has pretty good room inside. i'd buy one to zip around town in. what would be fantastic is they slap their supercharged engine in that small SUV and watch the men get a hold of that car -it will be crazy.

We're going to drive it on Sat, from everything I've seen on the car it's a perfect fit for her.

It demolishes the current entries in that crossover class in terms of luxury/quality, nothing from BMW or Audi is even close according to the journos that have had actual seat time in it. AutoExpress just named it their Car of the Year last week in fact after slobbering all over it.

Good one for the ladies (and Hannibal apparantly, lol) looking to rock a little style in this class of car beyond the boring boxes that are currently offered from everyone else.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks great. Interior looks very comfy and the layout seems intuative and not overwhelming. Did you take a test drive?

It demolishes the current entries in that crossover class

Yeah - if you compare it to vehicles in the same class, you'll come out ahead... just have to make sure that's a class that fits your needs. Interested to hear how it drives.

From AutoWeek today, sounds like a positive review.

2012 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque, an Autoweek Flash Drive Car Review

By: J. P. Vettraino on 8/11/2011

Related Articles

What is it?

This is the new, smaller Range Rover, developed from the LR-X concept shown at the Detroit auto show in 2008. The Evoque borrows an updated platform from the Land Rover LR2, and it's about 10 inches shorter and substantially lighter than competitors such as the Audi Q5 and the BMW X3.

There are multiple powertrain options for Europe, but North America gets only one: variable all-wheel drive with a single-speed Haldex center differential, a six-speed automatic and a 2.0-liter direct-injection turbocharged four-cylinder generating 240 hp and 251 lb-ft of torque. Americans will know this engine as Ford's 2.0-liter EcoBoost. Calibrations are tweaked by Range Rover but the hardware is essentially the same in the Evoque at it is in the forthcoming Ford Edge and Explorer four-cylinders.

The Evoque will be offered as both a five-door wagon and a slightly unusual three-door that Range Rover calls a coupe. The two essentially are the same, and we'd expect relatively few buyers to sacrifice the practical advantage of four side doors for the pizzazz of the coupe. Both Evoques have some unusual styling details but both are visually attractive, engaging and distinct from the existing competition.

What is it like to drive?

For its combination of off-road capability, on-road dynamics and manageability through the daily grind, the Evoque is better than any Range Rover before.

A series of off-road exercises demonstrated that the Evoque will ford, climb and descend more capably than its luxury-brand competition, regardless of its sexy duds, and that's with the standard all-season tires. Approach and break-over angles are impressive, and ground clearance surpasses nine inches. With the right tires, the Evoque could handle some fairly serious off-road duty.

On pavement, with the same all-season tires, the Evoque feels more nimble and responsive than an LR-2 or a Range Rover Sport. It's much better suited to, and happier undertaking, some fairly aggressive runs down narrow country roads. Its ride is surprisingly supple--perhaps more comfortable than anything else in this class. The engine is strong, with even torque delivery, and the automatic responds fairly quickly in manual mode.

There are plenty of qualifiers, to be sure. The controls retain some of the classic Range Rover feel: soft brake pedal, long-travel throttle, thick steering. And while all have benefits in the back country, none contribute to the sporting demeanor Range Rover has tried to develop for the road. Interior function and finish are both first-rate, but the styling creates some visibility restrictions we wouldn't expect in this class. The scope of the view through the rearview mirror is tiny. The A-pillar position, combined with large side mirrors, takes out a big chunk of the driver's sightline when looking ahead through a corner, unless the driver raises the seat to maximum height or happens to be very tall. The optional 360-degree cameras help considerably.

None of the nits are deal breakers, and the Evoque can seat two moderately sized adults comfortably in its back seat, despite its six-inch wheelbase deficiency to many competitors. Overall, this easily is the best daily driver Range Rover has built.

Do I want one?

This vehicle should broaden Range Rover's customer base considerably. It's priced nearly 40 percent lower than the Range Rover Sport and it will be much more economical to operate than its larger sibling. It's less bulky or cumbersome in the urban landscape, yet it retains the big fellow's charm and old-world finish, nearly all of the Sport's high-tech features and a substantial chunk of its off-road prowess (if anyone actually drives Range Rovers off-road).

If you've aspired to a Range Rover, now may be the time. It's not a bold prediction to call the Evoque Range Rover's soon-to-be best seller.

Definitely interested BUT for that price range it would be tough to not get a used RRSC instead...

Very tough, almost to the point where I want to force it that way. But she fears big cars and I'll never drive it so what do I care really...

Still bothers me though. :lol2:

Looks very good but IMO, this is a car for the female clients. Perhaps down the road when they have a body kit to enhance its masculinity. Sort of like the Audi A5 and the S5/RS5 variants.

But in all honesty, regardless of how good the packaging is, would you really buy a new-from-the-ground-up-first-model-year car from Land Rover, especially half way through its conception the entire company changed hands to Tata? (Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan and have owned several of LR's products with great results. But by the same token, I ask this simple question...)

Very tough, almost to the point where I want to force it that way. But she fears big cars and I'll never drive it so what do I care really..

Just give her the talk about how bigger cars are safer in an accident. :icon_thumleft:

Very tough, almost to the point where I want to force it that way. But she fears big cars and I'll never drive it so what do I care really...

Still bothers me though. :lol2:

I just showed my wife this thread and she said it's too small and there's no way she'd trade her RR Sport in for it :lol2:

would you really buy a new-from-the-ground-up-first-model-year car from Land Rover

I agree... it's kinda risky... That said, my '06 (first model year) Sport has been pretty darn reliable. No right answer....

its a pretty decent size actually. i recorded it at the Geneva autoshow this year... some minor mods and BAM!

I agree... it's kinda risky... That said, my '06 (first model year) Sport has been pretty darn reliable. No right answer....

Exactly, I've been lucky as well but I have also heard and seen some pretty horrible units at the dealer's service bays. And that's the primary problem --- lack of QC consistency. It's a steady improvement but not quite there yet. Let's hope LR pulls it off with the Evoque. Would be a shame for all the positive reviews thus far only to be plagued by the QC.

its a pretty decent size actually. i recorded it at the Geneva autoshow this year... some minor mods and BAM!

It's official...I would drive that lol!

But in all honesty, regardless of how good the packaging is, would you really buy a new-from-the-ground-up-first-model-year car from Land Rover, especially half way through its conception the entire company changed hands to Tata? (Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan and have owned several of LR's products with great results. But by the same token, I ask this simple question...)

:iamwithstupid:

Warranty is going to be well-used for sure, no question. :icon_mrgreen:

We sat in three Evoques tonight at a Land Rover Newport Beach dealer event, she was intimidated by the size of it at first (lol) but after a while she warmed up and is all excited now.

Drive it tomorrow, but I'm sure that part will be uneventful.

Good little car, not sure if it's worth $60k, but for wifey's strange "must have a small car" need it seems just perfect after sitting in it.

Oh, one thing stood out, the rear window is a TANK GUNNER viewport at best, is this a damn Murcie??? Thank god it has a rear-camera otherwise it would be bumper-cars at her health club each morning for sure... :lol2:

Thank god it has a rear-camera otherwise it would be bumper-cars at her health club each morning for sure... :lol2:

They offer a 360 degree camera option for the Evoque as well. That might be of some help :P

They offer a 360 degree camera option for the Evoque as well. That might be of some help :P

They've got them in the Sports too. They are very distracting to look at and are difficult to use to navigate with.

They've got them in the Sports too. They are very distracting to look at and are difficult to use to navigate with.

This is a picture I've found of the Evoque's 360 camera. Is it the same as in the RRS? It does look like it requires some getting used to.

post-9370-1313262593.jpg

This is a picture I've found of the Evoque's 360 camera. Is it the same as in the RRS? It does look like it requires some getting used to.

evoquecamera.jpg

Which camera does the driver use to do their make up?

Just got back from driving it.

Engine is shit, the price you pay for high MPG in this model. Under acceleration it's loud and "unseemly" as it sounds just like what you'd expect a buzzy 4-cylinder turbo to sound like pulling 4,000+ pounds.

Quick though, 0-60 is like 8.5 and it feels light on its feet. When not accelerating it's extremely quiet, as nice as the big RRs in just about every way.

The ride was like a BMW 7-series, sporty with no slop, and not punishing. No bounciness which plagues these short-wheelbase crossovers, and extremely reactive steering.

Impressive actually, I expected it to be a lot worse than it is, it feels like a 5-series sedan to drive...not at all like a mini-SUV. They've delivered on the lux part of it as the interior materials combine with the driving experience to fool you into thinking you're in one of their nicer models.

Put a deposit down, it was really a no-brainer for what she needs. Delivery some time in October.

Yes, same. It's pretty much useless.