College Football 2011

Roman

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A two loss Oregon team has a higher claim than Alabama? I thought that BCS was horribly flawed but it apparently isn't alone.

WHO IN THE fcuk IS TALKING ABOUT OREGON?!?!?!?! JESUS fcuking CHRIST!

I reread it and saw the mistake.

OK St. loss to unranked ISU does not equal a 3 pt OT loss the a #1 ranked. Sorry, no matter the response to that it does not compute. 6 people beat ISU, yet somehow a title contender can not?

I reread it and saw the mistake.

OK St. loss to unranked ISU does not equal a 3 pt OT loss the a #1 ranked. Sorry, no matter the response to that it does not compute. 6 people beat ISU, yet somehow a title contender can not?

The answer is simple- THE ENTIRE REASON TO PLAY A POST SEASON BOWL GAME, IS TO MATCH UP TEAMS FROM DIFFERENT CONFERENCES WHO DIDNT HAVE A CHANCE TO PLAY EACH OTHER DURING THE SEASON. Theres no sense in doing a bowl game if the teams play in the SAME CONFERENCE!!!! WE KNOW WHO THE BETTER TEAM IS ALREADY!!!!

Further... Im not as concerned about HOW MANY teams Iowa State lost to.... YES... Its a FACTOR, but I like to look a little DEEPER than that...

NAMELY-

1. Alabama lost to LSU AT ALABAMA.

Oklahoma State lost to Iowa State AT Iowa State. In other words, Alabama played LSU under the BEST POSSIBLE CIRCUMSTANCES, and DIDNT Beat them... Why do they get to try AGAIN?

2. OSU ALSO lost in Overtime... So, I dont really know what the point of Alabama losing in overtime is... The loss is a loss.

3. If you REALLY want to dig, OSU lost that game on a friday night (Short practice), after learning of a CAMPUS, and Athletic Department TRAGEDY. If you watched that game, they were CLEARLY stunned when they took the field... That was NOT the same team that played the rest of the year.

4. NEITHER LSU or Alabama played ANYBODY from the Big 12 (or ACC for that matter)... So we dont really know how those conferences rank up conference to conference. And what the SEC wants to insure by having TWO TEAMS in the championship, is that we never find out.

On the Virginia tech side, they lost to Clemson, who, thanks to the ACC Championship game, they get to play AGAIN... Alabama DIDNT get to play LSU again in the SEC Championship.... IF THEY DID, I would have had NO PROBLEM with the WINNER (one or the other) going to the Championship. But sitting home in the first week of December is no way to insure a trip to New Orleans.

Sorry, But I don't agree with your 'reason' for post season. We can play what should/could/would/blah blah all day. However BCS MATCH THE TWO HIGHEST RANKED TEAM AT THE END OF THE SEASON. Nothing else matters. So, you know LSU is better than Alabama because of an OT Field goal loss? Sorry, but that's not true. Also, yes we lost at home. Ok st. was on the road. However, I don't remember losing AWAY TO A TEAM THAT LOST 6 GAMES being held in higher regards than an Home OT loss to the #1 rated team. No way no how. That makes no sense.

I would love to see OSU get a shot. I think LSU would have their hands full keeping up with OSU's offense. A 3 field goal performance wouldn't get it done against the Cowboys.

Sorry, But I don't agree with your 'reason' for post season. We can play what should/could/would/blah blah all day. However BCS MATCH THE TWO HIGHEST RANKED TEAM AT THE END OF THE SEASON. Nothing else matters. So, you know LSU is better than Alabama because of an OT Field goal loss? Sorry, but that's not true. Also, yes we lost at home. Ok st. was on the road. However, I don't remember losing AWAY TO A TEAM THAT LOST 6 GAMES being held in higher regards than an Home OT loss to the #1 rated team. No way no how. That makes no sense.

Yes... I know LSU is better than Alabama... And thats ALL I know from that game, because honestly... Neither team shined.... Alabama made bush league mistakes that SHOULD have cost them that game even WORSE... but LSUs offense couldnt make them pay the price...

The one thing I am PRETTY Sure about is LSU has the BEST defense in the country. They have one of the best Defenses Ive ever seen. Whether they are the best TEAM in the country has yet to be determined... But based on what OSU is doing to the Sooners, Im beginning to think we may just find out.

OSU wins over CURRENT top 25 teams- 5. Alabama-2.

OSU wins over current top 50 teams- 7.

Alabama- 5

OSU is taking Oklahoma apart at the seams.

PLUS. Oklahoma state has a GOOD placekicker... Even if it is a girl.

Final week rankings.

1 LSU

2 Oklahoma St

3 Alabama

4 Oregon

5 Wisconson

6 Stanford

7 Arkansas

8 Kansas St

9 South Carolina

10 USC

11 Michigan

12 Arkansas St

13 TCU

14 Southern Miss

15 Boise State

16 Houston

17 Clemson

18 West VA

19 Virginia Tech

20 Georgia

21 Pedophile State

22 Michigan St

23 Baylor

24 Nebraska

25 Oklahoma

I would pit-

LSU v OSU National Game

Oregon v Wisconson- Rose

Alabama v Stanford- Sugar

Clemson v Arkansas- Orange

West VA v Kansas St- Fiesta

I'll put this here fully understanding the potential egg on my face but i think the SEC is THE conference and LSU vs OsU would be a slaughter.

I'll put this here fully understanding the potential egg on my face but i think the SEC is THE conference and LSU vs OsU would be a slaughter.

You MAY be right.... No way to know without playing the game...

BTW.... As part of this process, I have Ranked the conferences EVERY week as well as the top 25 (top 30+ actually, but I only post the top 25)

The conferences broke down in the following way:

1 SEC

2 PAC12

3 BIG12

4 CUSA

5 Mtn West

6 Big Ten

7 ACC

8 Sun Belt

9 Big East

10 The Independants

11 MAC

12 WAC

Its time for the Big East to give up its AQ... They got beat by the fcuking SUNBELT.

I would love to see OSU get a shot. I think LSU would have their hands full keeping up with OSU's offense. A 3 field goal performance wouldn't get it done against the Cowboys.

OSU wouldn't have a ice cubes chance in hell against LSU.

X2

OSU wouldn't have a ice cubes chance in hell against LSU.

OSU might get slaughtered, but one thing I can promise is a lot more people would be interested in that game than another field goal kicking showcase like the last LSU vs. Bama game. The only thing that got slaughtered during that exhibition of SEC dominance was my attention span.

OSU might get slaughtered, but one thing I can promise is a lot more people would be interested in that game than another field goal kicking showcase like the last LSU vs. Bama game. The only thing that got slaughtered during that exhibition of SEC dominance was my attention span.

Exactly....

I find the demographics of the arguing intriguing.... So far, THE ONLY PEOPLE who I see who are in favor of the "SEC Championship Game: Round 3", are people from the SEC region and Bristol Connecticut. The rest of the country, including 99% who couldnt find Stilwell with a GPS and a Sherpa, want to see LSU/OSU. I also find the recurring argument of "Oklahoma State doesnt want to play LSU.... They'll get killed" as if SEC fans just want to save poor OSU from the embarrassment, too cute by half. Im also not impressed by the "Alabama's only loss is to the #1 team" argument. Those rankings, when they get OUTSIDE the strict confines of head to head wins and losses, mean NOTHING. LSU was the #1 team when they beat Alabama because the people who say so, say they were. Not because they beat the other teams in contention for that title. Stacking a deck of cards, and dealing yourself the Aces, doesn't make you Doyle Brunson.

I literally have no dog in this fight. Im not an Alabama Fan. Im Not an Oklahoma State Fan. Im not a fan of the SEC and christ knows Im not a BIG 12 fan.... Nor do I DISLIKE any of these entities (although I have to admit Im NOT a fan of what I see as inside manipulation of the system by the SEC, Big 12, and Big 10, to fix outcomes the way a few insiders want them- and to keep others out- Its turning the sport into Pro Wrestling- The bumps are real, but the outcomes predetermined... Its a dangerous economic path to walk down... When the fans realize theyre being used and lied to, there will always be a UFC to steal that market share and give the fans what they REALLY WANT- REAL BUMPS, AND REAL MATCHES.... This year is particularly egregious... With he Big 12 insiders having their hands full wrapping what remains of their conference with duct tape, and the Big 10 being rocked by multiple scandals which have hurt the conference severely... That has left the cupboard wide open for the SEC to rob the pantry blind- And, maybe, like a Mafia Fire sale, they realize they might as well get as much as they can right now, even if it means burning the building down to collect on the insurance, because the BCS agreements expire next year- And the good times FOR THE BCS Puppeteers, may soon be over).

No... What I am, is a FOOTBALL FAN. A COLLEGE FOOTBALL FAN... Most of my loyalties lie with USC, and Arizona... Neither of whom (or their conference for that matter) are anywhere near the discussion this year.... But on any given Saturday, I can find myself rooting for anybody who plays GOOD FOOTBALL...

And this system is BAD FOR FOOTBALL FANS... If its LSU Alabama- I probably wont watch it.... I wasted 3 hours of my life on that game already this year... "Game of the Century." Ha... It wasnt even the best game THAT DAY! (That honor goes to OSUs 52 45 win over Kansas State- Now that was a fun game to watch). That first LSU- Alabama game was dreadfully boring. And the definition of insanity is doing the same thing twice and expecting a different result.

I guess what makes a game exciting to most people is 100+ points in a game. People said this last year when we had to play Michigan State. They scored 40-50 pts a game and everyone said we were going to see what a high powered scoring offense can do. 49-7. People wanted that game, then complained how boring it is. I don't care what would be the more fun game to watch, I care about seeing the two best teams. IMO, that is LSU and AL. We lost to LSU in week 7 or 8, and we climbed back up. OK St. lost to Iowa State LAST week and is back in the conversation? Doesn't add up! Yeah they got help by other people losing, but they still did not play a FULL season they way a national title contender should. Getting beat by a 28 point underdog in the 2 to last week is not a NC team.

It just so happen we HAD to play LSU. It should not penalize us that we are from the same conference and division and people are crying about a rematch. Plain and simple, LSU vs. OK St. may be what is more interesting because OK. St. scores 40-50 pts a game, but again, people say that every year. Yet SEC wins year in and year out. Is that just the BCS? I think not.

We'll know for sure at 8:15ET what the real decision is. We'll see if the 'no rematch' and 'boring first game' arguments won over some voters. I watch other conference games and I prefer a 21-14, 17-7, etc game far over the 56-52 games.

I guess what makes a game exciting to most people is 100+ points in a game. People said this last year when we had to play Michigan State. They scored 40-50 pts a game and everyone said we were going to see what a high powered scoring offense can do. 49-7. People wanted that game, then complained how boring it is. I don't care what would be the more fun game to watch, I care about seeing the two best teams. IMO, that is LSU and AL. We lost to LSU in week 7 or 8, and we climbed back up. OK St. lost to Iowa State LAST week and is back in the conversation? Doesn't add up! Yeah they got help by other people losing, but they still did not play a FULL season they way a national title contender should. Getting beat by a 28 point underdog in the 2 to last week is not a NC team.

It just so happen we HAD to play LSU. It should not penalize us that we are from the same conference and division and people are crying about a rematch. Plain and simple, LSU vs. OK St. may be what is more interesting because OK. St. scores 40-50 pts a game, but again, people say that every year. Yet SEC wins year in and year out. Is that just the BCS? I think not.

We'll know for sure at 8:15ET what the real decision is. We'll see if the 'no rematch' and 'boring first game' arguments won over some voters. I watch other conference games and I prefer a 21-14, 17-7, etc game far over the 56-52 games.

Im sorry, but I dont bow down to the "five national championships in a row" when the winners havent played all the teams with a legitimate claim. I played under a system with MULTIPLE national champs, and I have NO PROBLEM WITH THAT. But rigging a system that gives you the result you want, and claiming its any more legitimate a championship than any other team who claims it is BS.

Last year, I would have liked to see what TCU (13-0) Could have done with Auburn, although I will admit I that before the game I thought Oregon was the right "selection". Im not sure ANYBODY could stop Cam Newton running downhill... So Ill give the SEC that one.

2009- Its no secret that I thought Texas shouldnt be ANYWHERE NEAR THE TITLE GAME... That year I think Boise State (14-0) was the best team in the country, and might have given Alabama a TON of trouble... We'll never know, because the BCS (read Mike Slive) made sure of it. Keep in mind, all these people who said Boise would lose, ALSO SAID THEY were 100% sure they would lose to TCU that year...

2008- I have Utah as my 13-0 National Champions. Not the 13-1 Gators.

2007 was a COMPLETE CLUSTER fcuk, with the 6 top ranked teams all finishing 11-2 or 12-2... Flip a fcuking coin that year, but dont give me the LSU was the undisputed champ BS.

And 2006 we're back to a 13-0 Boise Team not getting to play the 13-1 gators.

Would the outcomes have been DIFFERENT if DIFFERENT teams got to play? Who the fcuk knows.... What Ive learned from watching and playing college football is for 40+ years is, the pundits get it wrong as often as they get it right.... Back then it was "Boise Cant hold up to an SEC power house"... Yeah.... Tell that to Georgia.

Well, there it goes. Bye bye BCS.

We'll see LSU Jan. 9th.

You sound like thats something to celebrate?

All it proves is the system is a complete joke, and the winner of that game is the SEC champion.... AND NOTHING ELSE. Im not at all surprised. Im actually sad for LSU... I think they will stomp a mudhole in Alabama's ass (I think they might stomp a mudhole in Green Bay's ass if they played them) but there will always be an stigma about how they win it....

And the patronizing comments by Miles ("Its too bad they dont play a quality championship game like the SEC does") and Saban ( "Thats the system, and you have to embrace it" AKA "Yeah... Youre getting screwed... Im not... So the system works!") I find low class.... And Im generally a Saban fan (I think Les Miles is a marginally retarded asshole) but thats what this system forces... HONORABLE DECENT MEN, like Saban, have to become incoherent idiots to defend a system thats so obviously fucked up, a five year old could see it.

Need further proof that its fucked up? VIRGINIA TECH IN THE SUGAR BOWL? Give me a fcuking break! They got fcuking EMBARRASSED last night, and they get to play in the fcuking SUGAR BOWL?

How about the Champs WHOGIVESAFUCK BOWL : Florida State vs Notre Dame? REALLY??? fcuk me. NEITHER TEAM should be playing another game this year.

Or how about the Little Caesars bowl- Western fcuking Michigan versus Purdue? I thought both teams DROPPED FOOTBALL THREE YEARS AGO!

The Alamo Bowl? The Washington Sacrificial lambs versus Baylor?

Ohio State versus Florida in the Gator Bowl? Christ on a Cracker.... Both teams sucked ass this year! One sucked so fcuking bad they fired their fcuking coach, and the other should seriously consider it.

Its like they found a post season Bowl schedule from 1973 and said.... Yeah, fcuk it... Lets go get a beer.

The only games Im remotely interested in are Arkansas versus Kansas State and Oklahoma State versus Stanford.... And maybe the Rose Bowl, but I think its going to be a snoozer...

The worst of them all has to be the Las Vegas whywontanybodyreturnourcalls Bowl. 1 loss Boise St against 6 loss ASU. I never want to hear "boise state is good but they don't play anybody...". If they don't play anybody, its because NOBODY will play them. Clearly the vegas bowl people thought they had a coup snagging them and then had a hard time finding anybody who would sign on the dotted line. ASU with 6 losses is BARELY bowl eligile, and they had to be surprised to even get a call.

And IM REALLY PISSED.... I wanted to take my boy to a bowl game this year... Maybe the Poinsettia Bowl or the Holiday Bowl- So my choices are TCU versus Louisiana fcuking Tech or 7 and 5 texas versus 7 and 5 CAL.... Id be better off taking him to a Mater Dei game

What Les Miles said I think you interpreted incorrectly. I think Miles (I hate him as a coach and think he is an utter fcuking idiot) was trying to say that it's unfortunate that OK St. doesn't get to play in a NC game after embarrassing Oklahoma and only being a once loss team. Basically, I think he was saying that they deserved to go to the game too. Not meant negatively at all.

Saban however was saying the same thing that was told to us a few years ago. You are a good team, but the system picked another with a similar record. We will have the take the lumps from the BCS too in the future, but we got the good end this time.

In my opinion and many others we earned a spot in that game. If OK St. wouldn't have lost to Iowa I would say that absolutely deserved to be there. Or even if they would have lost to a HALF DECENT team they would have made it. However, they didn't. No ones fault but there own.

As for LSU stomping Alabama. Not a chance. We lost the first game by ourselves. Had nothing to do with them stopping us. They scored every chance they could have and only mustered 9 points. Didn't get close any other times. We self inflicted point losses by having a HORRIBLE place kicker. I think it will be a good game, and hope for a second NC in 3 years.

Best

What Les Miles said I think you interpreted incorrectly. I think Miles (I hate him as a coach and think he is an utter fcuking idiot) was trying to say that it's unfortunate that OK St. doesn't get to play in a NC game after embarrassing Oklahoma and only being a once loss team. Basically, I think he was saying that they deserved to go to the game too. Not meant negatively at all.

Saban however was saying the same thing that was told to us a few years ago. You are a good team, but the system picked another with a similar record. We will have the take the lumps from the BCS too in the future, but we got the good end this time.

In my opinion and many others we earned a spot in that game. If OK St. wouldn't have lost to Iowa I would say that absolutely deserved to be there. Or even if they would have lost to a HALF DECENT team they would have made it. However, they didn't. No ones fault but there own.

As for LSU stomping Alabama. Not a chance. We lost the first game by ourselves. Had nothing to do with them stopping us. They scored every chance they could have and only mustered 9 points. Didn't get close any other times. We self inflicted point losses by having a HORRIBLE place kicker. I think it will be a good game, and hope for a second NC in 3 years.

Best

But do you at least see that this ARBITRARY matching of teams is a complete clusterfuck.... I know youre happy your personal team got in, but LOOK AT IT, JUST FOR A fcuking SECOND OBJECTIVELY....

This is a GREAT way to decide who the best team the SEC is.... Its a LOUSY WAY to determine who the best team in the NATION is.

Go further down the list of bowls and look how arbitrary and POINTLESS these match ups are.... We cant have a playoff because we "have to MAINTAIN THE HISTORY AND PAGEANTRY OF THE BOWL GAMES." Really? OSU has to take it in the shorts so that we can watch chicken shit teams like Louisiana Tech, ASU, Notre Dame and Florida State can enjoy the history and pageantry of the "jizz.com hot Smoking Snatch Bowl?" Give me a fcuking break!

It would be one thing if we were matching teams up in the bowls by wins and losses.... But its by "Who lives nearby and sells tickets." Theyre exhibition games at best, and ripoffs to the schools who get sucked into playing them at worst. They settle nothing... They prove nothing. Scrap the fcuking things.

Agree completely, and never disputed the BCS's cluster fcuk.

People always argue the fact that we can not have a play off because you would have to let in so many small schools and waste so much time with their games for them to lose in the end anyways that no one would watch and support it. I say bull shit. If what they are really afraid of is a small school beating their big school then their team should not be there in the first place. I'm all for a playoff, and all for getting rid of the BCS. After reading that link you posted, there is reason more so than the utter lack of continuity it provides for FBS. To think some of these paid sports writers claim that FBS and BCS have reached the point of singularity eats me alive. Unfortunately regression is FBS's only target while paired with the BCS.

Again, I agree with you and your rankings 99% of the time. My back and forth with you as of late is only my opinions on my team and that I believe they earned a shot at the NC. I can HONESTLY say that if OK and OK St were #1 and #2 and they had both played each other already, I would watch that game. However, I'm not lobbying just because AL is my team, but because I truly believe we earned it and can compete with them play for play and beat them. I would be lobbying no matter the opponent and no matter the circumstances if the teams are the two best.

I asked you earlier in the thread but never received an answer. Would you take a stab at answering this? I'd appreciate your time.

"What has to happen to get the BCS out of the FBS? Who would be responsible for making the decision to remove the BCS? What system would be in place in the immediate (is the only option a playoff? I think so...)?"

Best

Agree completely, and never disputed the BCS's cluster fcuk.

People always argue the fact that we can not have a play off because you would have to let in so many small schools and waste so much time with their games for them to lose in the end anyways that no one would watch and support it. I say bull shit. If what they are really afraid of is a small school beating their big school then their team should not be there in the first place. I'm all for a playoff, and all for getting rid of the BCS. After reading that link you posted, there is reason more so than the utter lack of continuity it provides for FBS. To think some of these paid sports writers claim that FBS and BCS have reached the point of singularity eats me alive. Unfortunately regression is FBS's only target while paired with the BCS.

Again, I agree with you and your rankings 99% of the time. My back and forth with you as of late is only my opinions on my team and that I believe they earned a shot at the NC. I can HONESTLY say that if OK and OK St were #1 and #2 and they had both played each other already, I would watch that game. However, I'm not lobbying just because AL is my team, but because I truly believe we earned it and can compete with them play for play and beat them. I would be lobbying no matter the opponent and no matter the circumstances if the teams are the two best.

Id have even less interest in that game than the current one.... Watching a team get SHELLACKED is one thing.... KNOWING theyre going to get shellacked because youve already seen 3 weeks earlier, is pointless.
I asked you earlier in the thread but never received an answer. Would you take a stab at answering this? I'd appreciate your time.

"What has to happen to get the BCS out of the FBS? Who would be responsible for making the decision to remove the BCS? What system would be in place in the immediate (is the only option a playoff? I think so...)?"

Best

I think I pointed you top the book. They lay out several scenarios by which the BCS can be killed.

In short, I would say a few things-

1. If the fans demand it.... But thats not enough.. THEY ALREADY DEMAND IT... But The BCS tells them to go fcuk themselves. They have to vote with their pocket books to the extent that the TV NETWORKS Demand it. I think THIS MAY BE THAT YEAR.... With each successive year it seems that the fans get angrier and angrier with the "System". Every year, "somebody gets screwed"... Audiences, fans and particularly college football fans are too sophisticated to be BULLSHITED any more. The RATINGS for these bowl games are NOT very good... And every year they get WORSE.... The National Championship game hit an all time high of 21.7 for USC versus Texas in the Rose Bowl in 2006. Its been down significantly since then, averaging a 16- Thats GOOD for regular TV, but not for Championship Sports- The NFL PLAYOFFS KILL THEM- Never mind the Super Bowl... I think this year will be a TV DISASTER because of the match up. The Rose Bowl also does well... It hangs in at around an 11-13 depending on the match up. The rest SUCK MONKEY ASS THROUGH A STRAW. The Orange Bowl is lucky to get a 6.... Thats BAD SITCOM range... The Non BCS bowls often dont break a 1. Thats MSNBC range.

2. Congress. There is the real threat of an anti trust action being brought against the "BCS". What makes it the most difficult is, there is NO SUCH THING AS THE "BCS." IT DOESNT EXIST. It is merely a series of contracts between the commissioners of the AQ conferences (and the AD of Notre Dame), the Bowl Commissioners, and the TV Networks.

The real hindrance is, EVERYBODY AGREES a playoff will INCREASE money to the CONFERENCES. The commissioners DONT CARE.... They would RATHER take 1/6th of a six slice pie, than SHARE 1/12th of a 20,000 slice pie.

WHY? That makes no economic sense? Because as long as its set up like this, THEY HAVE POWER. They CONTROL which teams get rich.... MONEY= SUCCESS in college football... And by DENYING certain schools that money, they maintain that THEIR FAVORITE TEAMS are the only ones who play.