bootstrapper thread

joebiz

Joe, what do you mean by script? As in a telemarketing script over the phone?

Yep. It's just a script I wrote that scrubs the list for keywords. I only know how to make it work in excel. :-( I'm sort of a computer dummy. I'm not even sure if it's truly a script, I just paste the results with keywords into the file, and sort by geo, then by price. It's very manual, now that Jaxed is gone. . Someone, somebody out there has to be able to write a true script (where is scrubs a site) and eliminates the copying and pasting.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you have to get lucky and not be greedy with Apple stuff.. additionally I am seeing a lot of spammers putting up cheaper deals and then giving you links.

Just picked up Salamon skiis with bindings, $700 new guy wanted $215 got them on the spot for $130. Thanks Joe

YEah, for sure you can get greedy with the apple stuff, it's just that it's soooo easy to make $100 on anything you touch. I think there's an argument to be made that an entire business could develop JUST out of apple branded products.

You'll do well on those skiis. Re-post them in SLC or Denver where they are already getting snow. Can make $200 in a hurry.

Jackson, MS. Tomorrow morning picking up a 2009 GSXR 1000 for 6500-7000 I hope, going rate on ebay currently is 8500-9000. Bought a couple of 1000 dollar Yamaha Jet Skis as well. I've always viewed this as a sort of "Day trading".

Nice bikes. Sell fast. The Jet Skiis- you're braver than I am. Those things always tend to sell about 30 minutes before they go POP.

i'm interested in a script for LA, items up to $10k.

Los Angeles is a VERY tough market. It's such a big place, and it's so hard to weed out the scammers and the liars. But here goes:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/2608937526.html

You need to be in this car for $3000 or less.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/for/2592093390.html

This guy has no idea what the hell he's selling. Offer him $500

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/jwl/2608507038.html

smells of desperation. Don't get it unless you can buy if for less than $1800.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/2608445562.html

He'll take $4000. Put a motor in it, ship it to San Diego or Mexico and it's worth $9K. Lots of work on this one.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/app/2608413621.html

This is a NICE refrigerator. Discontinued but worth $1000. Can keep it and sell it for $3000. Hard to sell though.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/atq/2608391213.html

That's your homerun for the day. Literally, if this thing is clean, I'd go pick it up immediately. Like, get in the car and drive over there right now and offer the guy $3K for the pair. It's probably already gone.

How do you feel about high end tools?

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/tls/2562587103.html

Looks like a clean bike at $5k

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/2608791620.html

Called this guy and he backed down to $1500 immediately. Worth driving over to see if I can get it for $1200? Buying/selling vehicles w/o a dealer license has me a little sketchy.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2609140392.html

Yep. It's just a script I wrote that scrubs the list for keywords. I only know how to make it work in excel. :-( I'm sort of a computer dummy. I'm not even sure if it's truly a script, I just paste the results with keywords into the file, and sort by geo, then by price. It's very manual, now that Jaxed is gone. . Someone, somebody out there has to be able to write a true script (where is scrubs a site) and eliminates the copying and pasting.

I've got a buddy that I think could pull this off, he does it all the time for other types of sites (Financial sites). Can you define the specifics for the script and I will work with him to see if it's do-able.

Los Angeles is a VERY tough market. It's such a big place, and it's so hard to weed out the scammers and the liars. But here goes:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/2608937526.html

You need to be in this car for $3000 or less.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/for/2592093390.html

This guy has no idea what the hell he's selling. Offer him $500

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/jwl/2608507038.html

smells of desperation. Don't get it unless you can buy if for less than $1800.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/2608445562.html

He'll take $4000. Put a motor in it, ship it to San Diego or Mexico and it's worth $9K. Lots of work on this one.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/app/2608413621.html

This is a NICE refrigerator. Discontinued but worth $1000. Can keep it and sell it for $3000. Hard to sell though.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/atq/2608391213.html

That's your homerun for the day. Literally, if this thing is clean, I'd go pick it up immediately. Like, get in the car and drive over there right now and offer the guy $3K for the pair. It's probably already gone.

Do you talk price when you email or call these people the first time? How would you go about getting them down so much? $1800 for a ring that they're asking $4000 or $1000 for the fridge from $4000 seems like a huge reduction . What's your starting point?

What about on an iPad? Say the seller is asking for $400 for and iPad 2. What would your process be?

Ok in the spirit of making this a community experiment (especially since Joe was nice enough to give us details publicly - hopefully no one scoops my leads!), here's two items i'm trying to work on:

White 13' Macbook 2.0 GHz, new casing and keyboard. Thinking about offering $380 - looks like one in good condition with original boxed could go for around $500 or more.

13' White Macbook

Here's a Power Mac G5, going to offer $200 cash - looks like I could offload this for around $400-$500 on ebay:

Power Mac

Feel free to critique my offering/selling price or if I am going about this all wrong. Focusing on these items as I know electronics real well.

Do you talk price when you email or call these people the first time? How would you go about getting them down so much? $1800 for a ring that they're asking $4000 or $1000 for the fridge from $4000 seems like a huge reduction . What's your starting point?

What about on an iPad? Say the seller is asking for $400 for and iPad 2. What would your process be?

I think the point is to see how low they go without getting them pissed off.. then in person dropping it more..

Here is my example, I emailed saying I have cash in hand, set up a date. Then a day before I emailed again saying "I looked at my situation and my offer is X-Y this time.. if you still feel like you need to sell I am ready when you are."

In person because I actually did see the item be in a little worse condition than imagined I dropped it another $20. Having cash out Lightning style might help

Having cash out Lightning style might help

This.

Granted I have zero experience at this game, there is a psychological effect to cold hard cash. It's all how you can work the psychology of the situation and read the desperation of the seller.

Me being me, i'm a little gun shy on risky things but got a lead on an appraised 2.20 F VS1 RB diamond, set in plat with another .30ct of 12 accent stones (but no official cert, which is super sketchy I know). Hoping I can get it checked out by a local GIA gemologist for a small fee and if all works out this would be a home run. If anyone knows rock hit me up, it will either get flipped or set into my fiances ring and sell her stone.

there is a psychological effect to cold hard cash.

Flashing green does three things:

1) It will instantly tell you what (if anything) motivates the seller. Never look at the cash or down at your shoes, when you pull it out, look in the seller's eyes and watch their body movements. Pretend to count it out. If they step towards you, or lean in, you've got desperation. Body language is key. If they're looking at it, his wife is hard core on his ass about selling something. If they look away, you blew it. Start looking for your keys. Exit promptly.

2) It will instantly commit you to your most recent offer. In other words, you better be smart about how (and more importantly, when) you present green cash.

3) IT will instantly create conflict. You have all of the cards, unless you're trading for gold or silver. Cash is the chips in this game. If you're in a position of authority, you win. If you're in a less desirable (but still a winning) position, you lose. Green cash is insulting if the holder is losing. Green cash is everything, if you're winning.

Make good choices with cash. People are getting killed for far less than what you have in your wallet, this very moment. Remember, people are hurting very bad out there. Be respectful and considerate and smart. Be firm, and be kind.

Agreed on this for USD$2600 going for a last test drive tomorrow to confirm its in good condition mechanically. I will offer him USD$2500 with the cash in my hand should all go well.

Good discount for $3300 I think :icon_thumleft:

MINT condition outside and inside, and that's what will ultimately allow me to sell it on quickly.

post-556-1316580667_thumb.jpg

Agreed on this for USD$2600 going for a last test drive tomorrow to confirm its in good condition mechanically. I will offer him USD$2500 with the cash in my hand should all go well.

Good discount for $3300 I think :icon_thumleft:

MINT condition outside and inside, and that's what will ultimately allow me to sell it on quickly.

014.jpg

LOVE IT! Keep us posted. Clean, older cars always do well. Just important to avoid temptation and not rack up miles. Every mile is profit to be wagered on older, clean cars.

2.20 F VS1 RB diamond, set in plat with another .30ct of 12 accent stones (but no official cert, which is super sketchy I know). Hoping I can get it checked out by a local GIA gemologist for a small fee and if all works out this would be a home run. If anyone knows rock hit me up, it will either get flipped or set into my fiances ring and sell her stone.

2.20 F vs1 should always have a cert. and most often will have a laser inscription that matches to the cert.

Joe,

Thanks again for this, I am enjoying this thread! :)

Few questions for you;

1-It seems that this strategy you have outlined for us works primarily because you obtain the items you plan to sell SO much cheaper than what you are going to relist them for, so that you have enough profit margin to make money on everything you buy. Given that, I doubt you are interested in just a "good deal", all items would have to be a GREAT deal, so that there is enough room left for the flip. Am i correct in this, or does it also have to do with just getting the deals EARLY, before anyone else gets to see them? I only ask because you mentioned immediatly relisting almost everything you buy, so I am sure you occasionally run into buyers that have seen your item listed by the previous seller, and whom have no idea that the item has already changed hands the day before. I was talking about all of this with a friend earlier, and he dismissed my enthusiasm quickly telling me how risky it was, saying that "if it didnt sell when the previous owner had it listed, what makes you think you will be able to sell it at the same price". The "low-balling" concept seemed to fall on deaf ears with him.

2-When you mention picking something up and immediatly relisting it in a different area (such as those skii's that RAWR picked up for example), how would you go about making a transaction like that work? Have the people call you, paypal you, and then ship the skii's to them? Do you have contacts in other areas that you work with? In my experience people always seem wary of buying stuff and having it shipped on craigslist, if they cant pick it up in person it always seems to throw them off. Just wondering how you get around this. By being able to relist an item in many other areas, it seems like that would open up your market exponentially as opposed to selling in only the same town you work in, so I am curious how you do this! :)

3-Same as above, only for the car (the BMW X5). You mentioned fixing it up and then shipping it somewhere where it will sell for a higher price. How would you go about doing this with a lower end vehicle (say, cars&trucks under $10,000). Do you have people that help orchestrate the logistics of deals like this, or is it just a matter of finding a buyer in the area you want to sell it in, and then working out having the car shipped directly to them?

4-What are the basics for the ad you'd relist an item with? Would you reccomend the type of ads where people have paragraph after paragraph trying to talk up the item, or just a basic ad with a few sentences about the item, a couple of pictures, a price and a phone number? Ads differ so much on craigslist as you mentioned, from crude choppy ads with little to no information, to huge listings where people go into ever single detail.

As an example, say you were selling a $1000 washing machine (retails for $2200)

Would your listing say, "$1000 namebrand washing machine, model xxxx, great condition, $2200 retail. Must pick up, call xxx-xxx-xxxx" (with a few pictures),

or

Would it say, "$1000 Namebrand washing machine. Great condition, used less than one year. Energy efficient, stainless steel barrel, 10 cycles, steam settings. White in color. Manufactured in June 2010. Consumer reports listed best buy. $2200 retail from Sears and PC Richards & Son. No lowballers. $1000 firm. Must be able to pick up. Call xxx-xxx-xxxx (+pictures of course). (etc. etc. etc., obviously this ad still only took a few seconds to write, but I am sure you know what I mean). Basically a very long, lengthy ad with details like this, or the short and sweet one I typed above.

Just wondering how "lengthy" your ads are when you resell something, and what you have found has the best success for generating interest and buyers!

-Would you be willing to run the script you mentioned for my area? Say, North, Jersey (or Dover/Rockaway if you need a specific town), under >$4000? I would be interested in all sorts of stuff, cars, motorcycles, electronics at the top of that list!

Thanks again! :)

I've got a buddy that I think could pull this off, he does it all the time for other types of sites (Financial sites). Can you define the specifics for the script and I will work with him to see if it's do-able.

I am interested in getting this done. Am willing to pay if thats what it takes.

Jackson, MS. Tomorrow morning picking up a 2009 GSXR 1000 for 6500-7000 I hope, going rate on ebay currently is 8500-9000. Bought a couple of 1000 dollar Yamaha Jet Skis as well. I've always viewed this as a sort of "Day trading".

Just picked it up, $6700 , have a couple of buyers already lined up at 8900.00

What do you guys think of these:

APPLE MACBOOK 13 INCH WHITE MUST SELL TODAY - $800

I bought this macbook brand new from best buy on 5/7/11 theres not a single scratch or scuff anywhere on it. Im trying to start a business but i need to free up some cash for equipment and im just going to use my wifes computer instead i paid 999.99 plus tax and im including iwork brand new as well bought the day after i bought the computer that was 79.99 plus tax. Also included is a hard cover on the top and bottom of the computer and a gel pad that goes over the keyboard so nothing gets into the keys. please text or email

Original box, instructions, and charger is included as well

computer.jpg

and

2001 Mercedes Benz S CLASS S430 - $6900

Must sell, this car is in great running condition, I have kept it very clean, with no rust, includes a 4.3 L V-8 engine, and a Navigation system, Sunroof, Power and heated seats, power windows locks, Great tires, must sell by saturday

car.jpg

I would offer $4500 on the S430, but thats here in Cali.

Also dont reply to ads without a phone number, they are farming email addresses.

I know a few of us are on PM's with Joe, but thought I'd post this for public (since we can all benefit from good advice):

What about watches? Tags, Omegas, etc? Found a few good ones that are easily sellable for higher than they are asking. Anything to watch out for?

purses and watches are tough cause there are some great knock-offs out there. I know with chanel purses they have a serial number on a leather tag inside on the bottom. If you google that number and chanel, you will see if its fake. Knock-offs dont have numerated serial #'s i.e. the factory makes one fake serial sticker and uses it for all the purses.

purses and watches are tough cause there are some great knock-offs out there. I know with chanel purses they have a serial number on a leather tag inside on the bottom. If you google that number and chanel, you will see if its fake. Knock-offs dont have numerated serial #'s i.e. the factory makes one fake serial sticker and uses it for all the purses.

I know watches better than purses. And most of them I've found mention doing transaction at police station or jewelry store (for verification).

I know a few of us are on PM's with Joe, but thought I'd post this for public (since we can all benefit from good advice):

What about watches? Tags, Omegas, etc? Found a few good ones that are easily sellable for higher than they are asking. Anything to watch out for?

Stay away from Rolexes. Too many people do those, exclusively, as a business. Tag, Movado, lambda lambda lambda and the omega mu, Breitling, Cartier, sort of the $1000 to $5000 retail price watches are great. But move 'em quick. I'd offer short of 20% of new retail price, IMHO. I am sure there will be many on this forum who can offer a lot more advice on these watches than I can provide. Rolex sellers are usually huffy puffy. The second-tier brands (Mo, Tag, Om, Breit, Cart) have less pride and are usually in a hurry to sell.

You'll need to invest in a very nice macro lens if you go that route.