bootstrapper thread

joebiz

What do you say when typically re-selling a car? Most people will ask why your are selling it - and "To make money" isn't an answer.

I'm going to stick to the line "Moving cities and it is surplus to my requirements"

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What do you say when typically re-selling a car? Most people will ask why your are selling it - and "To make money" isn't an answer.

I'm going to stick to the line "Moving cities and it is surplus to my requirements"

"I no longer have a need for it" would be my play in that situation.

You could also say you got the car in a trade for something .

Joe has a dealer to run things through so that changes thing.

I was curious how you guys deal with title issues? I mean, you buy the car just to sell it, you're now selling a car with a title thats not in your name. It kinda eliminates the possibility to dump it on carmax or something like that.

In regard to watches, especially Breitlings. Do some research before you even make an offer. I can walk into a local AD here and get ~20% off msrp on a brand new Breitling without

much effort at all, and the Bentley watches are selling at ~50% off msrp in the used market. You need to bury the price on those to call it a "deal".

As a response to the why are you selling, nothing wrong with honestly. I bought it to help out a guy that needed cash immediately, decided I didn't need it and here we are.

Watches are interesting to me - but so far ebay is my biggest source for used market prices. And it's almost always "Buy it now" with no real action/bids showing if people are taking the prices.

When you guys buy a car, how do you drive them home, on temporary licence plates or dealer plates or none at all if allowed?

Where I live in Europe I'm not even allowed to buy and eventually sell more than 7 or 10 cars because then I do it for a living/profession,being a car dealer) and get stuck in all kind of laws and taxes.

When you guys buy a car, how do you drive them home, on temporary licence plates or dealer plates or none at all if allowed?

Where I live in Europe I'm not even allowed to buy and eventually sell more than 7 or 10 cars because then I do it for a living/profession,being a car dealer) and get stuck in all kind of laws and taxes.

Depends on your state (I have no idea about Europe) - http://dmvanswers.com/questions/2529/How-m...dealers-license ( Check with your dmv to make sure the chart is correct)

In Ohio , in order to drive home , I only need a bill of sale and the title .

One way to get around the law is to try and not sign the title, just have the seller sign it & notorize it (not every state needs a notorized title) . Just get the car home and let it sit in your driveway till it sells. Some states you might get away with this , although in some states the car has to be registered in your name and needs to have plates.

Another thing to do , if you get close to the max number of cars you can sell, put it in someone elses name ( wife, GF, whatever)

How about red flags/warning signs when you are dealing with a seller? What precautions do you take besides meeting in public?

How about red flags/warning signs when you are dealing with a seller? What precautions do you take besides meeting in public?

Red flags are

1) STUPID cheap

2) entire advertisement is an embedded .jpg image (no text)

3) They sound like they're on crack. Just don't do it.

As far as seller precautions, there's no way to do anything but utilize your spidey senses. Always trust your spidey sense. I've run into one full-blown skitch, and it cost me dearly when I ignored my best sense.

He made $4300 today on 6 sales! Woohoo!

(sale-cost)

2000 S430 ($4500-3000) =1500

Two Macbook Airs ($1300-700) =600

Bose lifestyle 38 (1300-500) =800

BMW M5 front bumper (850-100) =750

50 oz of silver (1900-1400) =500

$500 Home Depot Gift card (400-250) =150

$4300!

DAMN! Joe that is incredible

Honestly, having been doing this for a long time, I've never seen margins this thick- ever. 6 Sales for $4300 a day. Lots of days made more than that, but on a lot higher volume.

FOUR THOUSAND. THREE HUNDRED. DOLLARS. TODAY.

Okay, let's ramp this thing up guys! Let's step it up.

What about a website where we can all input our stalk/strike/buy/sell price on items? Maybe insert links, where we can all share and update information and communicate privately? We can build trending tools, pricing guides on common items, etc.

We can call it the Hustle Factory! Everybody pays some nominal fee (like $10 for a lifetime membership) to make sure that spammers can't join. Or we can just build a forum and make people "apply" to join with a brief paragraph about what they do.

Picked up the BMW last night. All NZD prices:

Asking: $4000

Offered: $3200 before test drive

Bought: $3100

Will post another update soon.

I sent probably 30 or so emails out on apple products and half of the responses I got were spam, half of what was left didn't respond and the other half told me to pound sand. I'm guessing L.A. is a tougher market to work with.

Honestly, having been doing this for a long time, I've never seen margins this thick- ever. 6 Sales for $4300 a day. Lots of days made more than that, but on a lot higher volume.

FOUR THOUSAND. THREE HUNDRED. DOLLARS. TODAY.

Okay, let's ramp this thing up guys! Let's step it up.

What about a website where we can all input our stalk/strike/buy/sell price on items? Maybe insert links, where we can all share and update information and communicate privately? We can build trending tools, pricing guides on common items, etc.

We can call it the Hustle Factory! Everybody pays some nominal fee (like $10 for a lifetime membership) to make sure that spammers can't join. Or we can just build a forum and make people "apply" to join with a brief paragraph about what they do.

I have a better idea.

It's interesting to say the least. I don't have a very big market to search here in Indianapolis. How would I go about searching outside of here - since I really can't travel that far (except perhaps for very good items in Ohio, KY, IL, etc.)

I sent probably 30 or so emails out on apple products and half of the responses I got were spam, half of what was left didn't respond and the other half told me to pound sand. I'm guessing L.A. is a tougher market to work with.

LA is a saturated with bullshit, but ripe with desperation. So far, I got 2 iphone 4's at $350 and under. Ipad 2 64gb 3g for $550 and $600. And I dont even leave my office, i just text a picture of cash and they drove to my office.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/ele/2612311211.html

call this guy, I already talked him down to $550. But theres no way I'm driving to Long Beach, gas in a SL63 will eat the profit. I offered him $550 if he brought it here. he said he would think about it.

It's interesting to say the least. I don't have a very big market to search here in Indianapolis. How would I go about searching outside of here - since I really can't travel that far (except perhaps for very good items in Ohio, KY, IL, etc.)

http://www.searchtempest.com/

LA is a saturated with bullshit, but ripe with desperation. So far, I got 2 iphone 4's at $350 and under. Ipad 2 64gb 3g for $550 and $600. And I dont even leave my office, i just text a picture of cash and they drove to my office.

call this guy, I already talked him down to $550. But theres no way I'm driving to Long Beach, gas in a SL63 will eat the profit. I offered him $550 if he brought it here. he said he would think about it.

Thanks for the lead

Left him a message, lets see what he says.

What is a good price for an Iphone 3g? Buy for $200, sell for $300? Buy for $250, sell for $350? The price range of the ones I have looked at is all over the place.

I'm assuming Iphone 4's are good for us in the $300-$400 range? (leaving enough room for profit of course?)

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/sys/2605596078.html

I already talked him down to $650, you just have to go pick it up.