what is the major difference between 05/06

mttbox

Trying to find out the major difference between 05 to 06,

eGear: was told that its different from 04/05 vs 06.

clutch: was told different material was used to make the clutch so it last longer twice longer.

horse power 500/520: i was told that its really just a software update which can be done to any 04/05, he told me for the cost of $2000 the software can be renew and get 30 more horses on the 04/05.

exhause: sound better, but it makes no different if some one wants to change to after market exhaust.

thanks!!

The gearing is better on the 06s, too. Plus, nav was available (although a very few 05s had it, too). I think they changed something about the lift system to make it more reliable.

If the prices are close, go with the 06.

Gear Ratio's changed in 06, shorter, helping with acceleration.

As mentioned Egear updates much improved with 06 over 04/05.

Different Exhaust (and more emissions) in 06 and up.

The HP upgrade mentioned to 520. I do not believe there was an ECU update that added the 20HP on the 04/05 to be more like the 06/07. I may be wrong, but I had not heard of that.

There were also several cosmetic upgrades and options between 04/05 and 06 and up. Nav, comfort option, lift system became available in 05 over 04.

There is no factory upgrade for engine soft wear for power maybe after market if you trust them.

The steering rack has a better steering ratio

The CV and out put flanges are bigger to handle the faster better shifting and lower gear ratios

plus the other items that have already been said.

With the lower gear ratios on 1-3 gears egear works allot better and that helps clutch wear and bucking.

There is no factory upgrade for engine soft wear for power maybe after market if you trust them.

can a normal driver like me tell the difference? I mean, when you press down the gas paddle can you really feel the extra 20 horses? or better gear shifting? i mean i'm not going to take it to the track or a street race.

can a normal driver like me tell the difference? I mean, when you press down the gas paddle can you really feel the extra 20 horses? or better gear shifting? i mean i'm not going to take it to the track or a street race.

You can tell the difference because of the shorter gearing in the 06+

You can tell the difference because of the shorter gearing in the 06+

I'm sorry to ask all the stupid question but does shorter gearing meaning it shift faster?

short gearing means that the gear ratio is shorter, nothing to do with the gear change speed.

thank you.

the price difference on 05/06 are about 8k to 15k, so I'm trying to decide if i really should go with 06

When the 06 cars came out it was a easy sell. We just let our customers who had 04/05 cars drive the 06. It is a night and day difference between the two cars. 06 seem to have allot less issues with everything over time.

When the 06 cars came out it was a easy sell. We just let our customers who had 04/05 cars drive the 06. It is a night and day difference between the two cars. 06 seem to have allot less issues with everything over time.

thank you great info.

i have an 06 with 23,000 miles on it just had an e-gear snap done and it still has 60% life left on the original clutch ... think they def made an upgrade in 06 with the clutch/gearing

I was an original owner of a 04 and currently am the second owner of a 06 SE. As most posts have mentioned, there is a world of difference and you can definitely tell!

The lift is also something you can't live without!

20 hp is 20 hp!

The egear is alot more efficient and is more enjoyable to drive in traffic. The 04 was downright embarrassing to drive in traffic.

The nav is ok, not a have to have item and the backup camera is great.

• 2 weeks later...

Have driven both 05 and 06SE, both egear, guess which one I went with.

06 felt noticeably faster, turned in quicker, egear was smoother.

The price differential between 05 and 06 can be relatively negligible, I'd say go with the 06 like I did. Then again, if the price kills it for an 06, some Lambo (05) is better than no Lambo.

I drove lp560 and then bought a 05. Lp560 is several generations better but the price point on 05 fit the bill. The egear on 05 is a concern if you drive in traffic. If you use it on weekend only, it's not a big deal. Longevity of the orig clutch is short but once a new clutch is put in, it's not an issue. I expect mine to last at least 30k mi on the second clutch.

If price is under 10k definitely go with 2006. Any more than 20k would steer me towards 05.

I drove lp560 and then bought a 05. Lp560 is several generations better but the price point on 05 fit the bill. The egear on 05 is a concern if you drive in traffic. If you use it on weekend only, it's not a big deal. Longevity of the orig clutch is short but once a new clutch is put in, it's not an issue. I expect mine to last at least 30k mi on the second clutch.

If price is under 10k definitely go with 2006. Any more than 20k would steer me towards 05.

just want to be clear, if you have a 05 and you replace with a new clutch it would be the same clutch as 06 or even 07 & 08?

thanks for the important info.

Yes, if you replace the clutch with one that the number ends in "F" it will be the same as the newer cars and wear some better. There may even be a "G" update out now- others can chime in.

No a 04/05 even with updated clutch and soft wear still wont work or last as long as a 06 and up car. The gearing change makes the 04/05 will never be the same.

The clutch may be the same but gearing is not.

Listen to Jefflambo, he's the resident expert.

I've owned both an 04 and 06 Gallardo. I would never go back to the 04. WORLD of difference. Car feels faster, tighter, and much smoother.

I agree with Jefflambo. That's why I said the clutch would wear some better than the original '04/'05 clutch since it is updated but will not wear as long as the '06+ cars because they have higher gear ratios in the lower gears which makes it easier on the clutch at start up requiring less slip to get moving.

• 2 months later...

A question that has not been addressed in this thread...

Is the e-gear on the 08 Gallardos improved over the e-gear on the 06/07 Gallardos?