ris629

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
On this episode of Ignition, Carlos Lago drives the groundbreaking all-electric 2013 Tesla Model S. We've already conducted our range-verification road trips with the Model S, but now its time to find out just how fast and how fun this Tesla is to drive at the test track.

Car has some fit and finish issues up close. On the one I saw, the trunk was not flush with the rear 3/4 panels. Not something you except at this price level.

It carries five adults and two kids and has a 300 mile range! Chief Designer Franz von Holzhausen gives Jay

an up-close deep dive on the Tesla S.

wish I had reserved one a long time ago.... probably going to go ahead and put the $5k down and wait.... bleh.... saw one up on eBay, not sure what they finally got for it....

Scotty, how did you spec yours out?

Mine should be here in a couple of weeks........should be fun.

wish I had reserved one a long time ago.... probably going to go ahead and put the $5k down and wait.... bleh.... saw one up on eBay, not sure what they finally got for it....

Scotty, how did you spec yours out?

Pearl White, panorama roof, titanium wheels, tan interior with all options.

• 3 weeks later...

Car looks fantastic, if I were to reserve 1 it would be the performance pkg. in white, black interior, piano black trim, pano roof.

Motor Trend just named it car of the year.

Car looks fantastic, if I were to reserve 1 it would be the performance pkg. in white, black interior, piano black trim, pano roof.

Motor Trend just named it car of the year.

I'm surprised we don't have one in an LP-member's garage yet, excited to read some real-world thoughts about living with it day to day.

Very impressive so far, Tesla seems to have avoided the teething problems typical to a first-year car that Fisker had to overcome with the Karma.

I'm surprised we don't have one in an LP-member's garage yet, excited to read some real-world thoughts about living with it day to day.

Very impressive so far, Tesla seems to have avoided the teething problems typical to a first-year car that Fisker had to overcome with the Karma.

Mine is supposed to be here before Thanksgiving, I will follow up soon.

While I admit that this Tesla is good looking, and with due respect to all those who had ordered one, I'm not so sure about this car.

A recent visit to the US granted me an opportunity to look at one up close. I stumbled on their showroom while passing time in a large shopping mall --- yes, Tesla has a showroom inside a higher-end shopping mall complete with a demo car, a cut-away car and all the usual colour panels and trim pieces options etc...

The design of the car is quite nice but somehow it just look generic --- very similar to a Jaguar XF, Lexus GS series or even the latest Maser Quarttroporte. While it is elegant and pleasing to the eye, it does not stand out enough to look special. Inside, the design is innovative: this is definitely a "glass cockpit" car with its 2 gigantic-iPad-like control panels. The inner door panels/arm rest/ interior door opener is rather ingenious --- as minimalistic as they can get but fully functional --- simple, no frill yet advant-garde and refreshing. The exterior door handles are unique but at the end of the day, they are rather pointless: you push them in so they will pop out and then you pull on them thereby unlocking a electromagnetic release. It's even more redundant than an Aston or a GTR door handles. And it seems that everything on the car is electromagnetically released, if the car is no power, you are literally stuck.

The battery is so huge (more on this later) it probably contributes to at least 65% of the total weight of the car! Consequently, every non-mechanical element of the car needs to go on a diet to compensate and therein lies the problem. To reduce weight without going into exotic materials like carbon fibre and/or titanium/magnesium, everything; despite good looking; feels cheap & flimsy. There is plenty of not-so-high-grade plastic throughout the cabin of the car. Those iPad-like control panel are pretty but I wonder how glaring will they be at night? Overall and unfortunately, the materials on the finishing simply made the car felt cheap.

Based on the cutaway display on the car, the battery is the entire floorplan of the car. I.e. the wheelbase IS the battery and vice versa. The passenger cell is riding on top of the battery. While this car would definitely have a low centre of gravity, the idea of riding on a giant piece of battery, IMO, is not very comforting. What if the car gets T-boned in an accident? Is there a potential safety issue here? What if the battery needs replacement, the dealer said it can be serviced from underneath but that's dropping the entire area of the wheelbase!

While I see the potential of the Tesla, the technology still has plenty of ways to go with vast area of improvement. At USD90k for the top model, there are plenty of other choices out there. And I seriously question the environmental friendliness of this car. You basically have a battery the size of a mattress: manufacturing, deposing and recycling this beast cannot be very eco-friendly at all.

I concur on your review, my reason for ordering is much like most people who like to be on top of innovation. The car is, from an innovation perspective, absolutely spectacular. Fit and finish of the interior is somewhat on the minimal side but exterior styling is incredible. I do agree with your assessment on the battery there are a lot of questions unanswered as to what we're going to do with the battery and how long they will last. Much like anything innovative, mistakes will be made. The real question here is whether you believe this is the direction we are going, if it is, how fast do you want to get on the merry-go-round. I enjoy being on the cutting edge of innovation and thus realize that comes with consequences, sometimes regret, but nevertheless it is fun. I bought my roadster only to be on the cutting edge and see what the fuss was all about. I can give you an overview of all the things I dislike about the car and a handful of things that I love about the car. Pimarily, it is too small, but a blast to drive. Everyone who drives it is blown away with the acceleration response. The model S was my primary reason for getting into the roadster as it put you at the top of the list to gain access to one of these incredible vehicles. Who knows where this will go, but it sure will be fun getting there.

Saw one in person this past weekend as Supercar Sunday. The car is HUGE, but I'd never want to put a person in those rear jumpseats. I still think battery tech is way too weak for an all electric car.

So what if they have a station that can get you 150 mile charge in 30 minutes. I can get 400 miles with a 15 minute stops in my gasoline car.

Scotty, please don't take it the wrong way. You have every right to acquire whatever you want and enjoy. In fact, kudos should be given to you for taking the leap into a watershed technology. Congratulations on being on top of the innovation. I'm just sharing what I saw and felt; in no way was any negativity aimed towards you. The torque on the Tesla is going to be mind-blowing. We would all concur that it's new technology in development and there is much more road to be covered before being the norm. Regardless, congrats on the purchase. Keep us updated and provide us with a first-hand review when you get the car.

The battery is so huge (more on this later) it probably contributes to at least 65% of the total weight of the car!

It weighs around 700 kg IIRC, so about 30% of the total.

When it comes to some of your safety concerns, I don't know what what's worse: riding on top of a battery cell, or riding on top of a tank full of gas...

There are sensors in place to disconnect high voltage in crashes. Time will show if there's an issue with this, but they are taking measures at least.

The technology is still "new" (electric cars have been around for 100 years, but not at this level), and certainly have a lot of potential for improvement.

Scotty, please don't take it the wrong way. You have every right to acquire whatever you want and enjoy. In fact, kudos should be given to you for taking the leap into a watershed technology. Congratulations on being on top of the innovation. I'm just sharing what I saw and felt; in no way was any negativity aimed towards you. The torque on the Tesla is going to be mind-blowing. We would all concur that it's new technology in development and there is much more road to be covered before being the norm. Regardless, congrats on the purchase. Keep us updated and provide us with a first-hand review when you get the car.

Absolutely none taken.

I think the car should be scrutinized. I am optimistic about its success but only the buyers can predict that success. Right now it is a cheap car to drive as you pay no road taxes on its usage as you do when you buy gas. Won't be long before the government figures that out.

It weighs around 700 kg IIRC, so about 30% of the total.

When it comes to some of your safety concerns, I don't know what what's worse: riding on top of a battery cell, or riding on top of a tank full of gas...

There are sensors in place to disconnect high voltage in crashes. Time will show if there's an issue with this, but they are taking measures at least.

The technology is still "new" (electric cars have been around for 100 years, but not at this level), and certainly have a lot of potential for improvement.

If it is 30%, then they are hiding something because from the cut-away display, the only other thing that seems to carry substantial weight are the electric motors. The frame/chassis itself certainly didn't seem very solid.

I actually think riding on top of a battery cell is more dangerous. The industry and safety regulators already have decades of experiences on gas tanks (remember the Ford Pinto?). Most car explosions only occur in movies these days. But we have very little experience on battery cells (remember an accident a couple of years back that involved a Prius and the fire rescue team refuses to get near the car?) Good to know that safety devices have been accounted for and being implemented. But what about a ruptured cell? Remember some Fisker's spontaneously ignited themselves during floods resulting from Sandy? In winter here, we salt the roads and snow is bound to melt resulting in a saline soup; let's hope the car won't short out. And we all know that rechargeable batteries don't do very well in cold weather. But as we all agree, there is much room for improvement and there certainly will be improvements.

Absolutely none taken.

I think the car should be scrutinized. I am optimistic about its success but only the buyers can predict that success. Right now it is a cheap car to drive as you pay no road taxes on its usage as you do when you buy gas. Won't be long before the government figures that out.

:icon_thumleft:

I didn't know about the no road tax part. That surely is added incentive.

• 4 weeks later...