Tesla Model S

ris629

So it is over 100K? Maybe I didnt look at the S? I did not drive it.. They have a dealer at the mall so I went back in to look at it while the wife shopped.

The price went up at the new year, maybe $2,500. I spec'ed a loaded car at just under $100k. I don't need the home fast charging options. My friend bought them with his roadster and says it was a waste of money, the car will recharge over night.

Topanga when I called them wouldn't let me test drive without a $5k deposit, Santa Monica will let you. I have a drive scheduled at the end of the month,

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My config was $101,470, plus tax... after the price increase (Jan 1) it's $107,470...

then you get $7500 back when you files your federal taxes...

You saw the Model S, maybe not the performance version, but inside it's identical...

I agree, a bit spartan on the inside, the all digital dash and center stack takes away all of the buttons, etc...

did they have the chassis display? amazingly small motor for all that power... so simple...

So it is over 100K? Maybe I didnt look at the S? I did not drive it.. They have a dealer at the mall so I went back in to look at it while the wife shopped.

tesla_model_s_bones.jpg

TeslaModelS_SS18.jpg

My config was $101,470, plus tax... after the price increase (Jan 1) it's $107,470...

You saw the Model S, maybe not the performance version, but inside it's identical...

I agree, a bit spartan on the inside, the all digital dash and center stack takes away all of the buttons, etc...

did they have the chassis display? amazingly small motor for all that power... so simple...

It is a $7,500 tax credit, not a $7,500 refund. Net somewhere around $3,000 +- depending your tax bracket.

I didnt see the chassis display. Just the motor on the wall which is of course pretty impressive..

It's a credit, you get the full $7500, it's not a deduction on your income...

It is a $7,500 tax credit, not a $7,500 refund. Net somewhere around $3,000 +- depending your tax bracket.

Allan, If you are looking for luxury, this is not it. It is more of a statement to tell the Oil companies and the Government to go screw themselves, while protecting the environment. I know, I know...we can debate the electricity generation creates pollution and what to do with the batteries after they are done. But it does not pollute while driving it. Right now you pay no road taxes on electricity. I think about 50% of the cost of a gallon of gasoline goes to taxes. I can drive this car for $0.04 per mile, the insurance is amazingly cheap too. No gas engine to explode. No oil changes. 10,000 miles in your average car will cost you with gas and oil about $1550, the Tesla will cost you about $400. My software even updated itself the other night itself via the 3G and left me a message on what it updated. I can even keep the heater or air conditioner on while parked, so I dont have to come back to a cold/warm car. Yes it could be more luxurious, and I am sure they will tackle that on future models. But think about any early adoption technology. Did the original iPhone do everything the one does today, nope. You gotta jump on the technology merry-go-round sometime, you just have decide when is right for you. Regardless, this thing is fun to drive.

Hah! Wrong! Glad you stepped up and admitted you just learned something.

Well the Tesla sales people can't explain it clearly and i am not a CPA. though after some research it looks like if you live in CA, there is apparently a fed and state credit not a deduction.

• 2 weeks later...

yep, they pretty much said first one to cut a check for the car gets it....

That was fast. Was this car slotted for someone else?

• 4 weeks later...

NYtimes guy got busted, data is data... retreating to tires sizes to account for speed discrepancies? even if that was the case, he should run his numbers, 0.0708 in tire size diameter does't make up 6 MPH speed difference... It's actually .2 MPH @ 60 MPH....

I didn't even read all of it in detail as I'm not that interested in all the he-said/she-said. Just happened to see it and thought I'd link it since it responded to the first link. My own view is that full electrics are only viable as second (or third, etc.) cars to drive in the general area of where you live, but that's not nessarily a big deal if you have other cars or rarely go on long trips.

You don't buy these to take long trips, it is a daily driver. I get over 280mi on a charge and it costs me $8 in electricity. That is 2 gallons of gas or 1 by Memorial day with the goof balls setting the gas prices these days. :icon_mrgreen:

Scotty that's great mileage for the $$.

I agree the car is a DD and whoever owns one should also own a second car which doesn't require a very long extension cord :icon_mrgreen:

I've done 1331 miles for 462.7 kWh @ 11 cents, $50.89.....

That's ridiculous :shock:

The cost per mile is not even worth talking about, when are the Taxi companies jumping on board ?

I am bored so I've ran few numbers :icon_mrgreen:

My DD

yearly travel 43,500 miles

based on local current gas prices

Total cost approx $11,700

Tesla

yearly travel 43,500 miles

based on your consumption/cost

Total cost approx $1,663.19