Tesla Model S

ris629

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FikseGTS---sell me yours when your done playing with it, lol. This looks to be a good 4 door car! How is the acceleration and since their is no shifting, does that change the way it feels?

come by and drive it, instant torque and no sound, no revving, no downshifting, it's pretty funny how I can surprise people when I hammer it when they don't expect it... 0-60 MPH in 3.9 seconds on the vbox....

FikseGTS---sell me yours when your done playing with it, lol. This looks to be a good 4 door car! How is the acceleration and since their is no shifting, does that change the way it feels?

I blew away a Mustang the other night just for fun, we met at the next light and he asked, what the hell you got in that thing? I said electricity, and sped off. lol

This car is nowhere near a fail, it is such a leap from anything else, there is some irrational and poor reviewers out there.

And the NYT guy was caught out in a lie.

I would love to have a couple model S's

• 2 months later...

I am still loving mine. Had one software issue, they flew a guy out from Chicago that day and he updated the software in my garage. Now that is service. The batteries are now guaranteed. Rumor of a $50-60k economy car coming out soon. I do have several ideas for accessories if someone has access to injection molding..........

I am still loving mine. Had one software issue, they flew a guy out from Chicago that day and he updated the software in my garage. Now that is service. The batteries are now guaranteed. Rumor of a $50-60k economy car coming out soon. I do have several ideas for accessories if someone has access to injection molding..........

Let me know what you need done, my very good friend does this

I've seen a few around locally now a few rimes and with the 21" wheels I think they look pretty good. My dad is looking to replace his hybrid soon and is leaning towards a Lincoln MKZ hybrid but I may try to persuade him to one of these. He could buy one but I don't know that he cares enough to pay the extra dough over a hybrid.

I was going to say, we have an inhouse tooling division that builds the molds as well.

Also, Injection can be expensive. Look at rotomolding or other avenues to reduce tooling costs significantly. An injection mold can easily be $50k+ and only pays off when you start making parts in runs of 10's of thousands.

I've seen a few around locally now a few rimes and with the 21" wheels I think they look pretty good. My dad is looking to replace his hybrid soon and is leaning towards a Lincoln MKZ hybrid but I may try to persuade him to one of these. He could buy one but I don't know that he cares enough to pay the extra dough over a hybrid.

I see a minimum of 5 a day. They are everywhere in SoCal and I mean everywhere

Placed the order for mine a couple of weeks ago. They added a lot of new options now, like Performance plus package, winter package, better alarm etc. Expected delivery in September!

tesla1.jpg

5k miles on mine, I like the red and want to trade mine out for the red with the dark 21 wheels...

Placed the order for mine a couple of weeks ago. They added a lot of new options now, like Performance plus package, winter package, better alarm etc. Expected delivery in September!

Brian, I will call you with the idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw my first Tesla last night after walking out of Ironman 3 in Sioux Falls, SD. The car really does look good. And at first you dont even know what it is. At first I thought Jaguar. Then got looking closer and saw the T on the front. When I saw that I was like, "no way". Buddy I was with was like WTF? Its really cool to see one of these in town. I like the car even more after seeing this one. This was a 85KWH model.

A few questions and observations I have:

1) Some mention about the safety of the battery with regard to car accidents. Wouldn't Tesla have already tested for this? Like smash the car going at a very high rate of speed into a wall or something and see what happens? Have a car smash into it from behind at such a speed? From the sides? From diagonals? Multiple crash ins? Have a fully-loaded tractor trailer smash into it going like 130 mph? Put it onto a track crossing and have a freight train smack it at a high speed? Drive it into salt water and see if it catches fire? Drive it into salt water and leave it sit for awhile to see what happens? And so forth?

2) I don't find the small electric motor surprising at all. Remember, those big diesel-electric freight trains use electric motors to pull the entire huge train along. The diesel part refers to the diesel engine that just powers the electric generators which thus drive the electric motors. If the motors in the one freight engine can move the whole train, then a little electric motor in a car isn't surprising at all.

On a side note, so when is this advanced electric technology going to find its way into radio-control vehicles? I would love an RC vehicle where the battery lasts for hours and takes only a half hour or less to recharge :icon_thumleft:

3) The lack of sound from these vehicles I'll bet is going to cause some people to get hit if/when they become more numerous. Three times already I've almost walked straight out in front of a Prius, because it was in electric mode and so silent. I mean you can be walking along in blissful quiet outdoor peace, thinking that you are alone and there's a car rolling up right on you.

4) While viable electric cars are probably a superior technology to IC engines, in terms of pollution, maintenance, torque, etc...I do prefer IC engines though in terms of the exhaust note. What's an electric Aston-Martin with no engine note or exhaust note?

Regarding Elon Musk, what is awesome is that he has accomplished things that the naysayers said he would never be able to (successful spacecraft and electric cars). The new Falcon Heavy is going to be more powerful than the Saturn V and it is scheduled to be launched later this year. If/when successful, it will be a HUGE benefit to the U.S. space program as we will now have the space launch capabilities to launch anything into orbit and not have to rely on the Russians. American space capability will be back in business! (hopefully!).

The big aerospace companies had a monopoly on the launching of things into space because since there was no real competition, there was no need to upgrade the technology at all, and since launching things is so expensive, it was a very lucrative business. Musk is on the verge however of successfully doing what he set out to accomplish, i.e. to reduce the cost of launching things into space. IMO, if I were him I would be on lookout for industrial sabotage. Companies will try that when there is big money on the line, and the big aerospace companies I doubt like that some little upstart is going to possibly unseat them in this business.

I am skeptical however when Musk says that he will be able to get us to Mars so quickly.

A few questions and observations I have:

1) Some mention about the safety of the battery with regard to car accidents. Wouldn't Tesla have already tested for this? Like smash the car going at a very high rate of speed into a wall or something and see what happens? Have a car smash into it from behind at such a speed? From the sides? From diagonals? Multiple crash ins? Have a fully-loaded tractor trailer smash into it going like 130 mph? Put it onto a track crossing and have a freight train smack it at a high speed? Drive it into salt water and see if it catches fire? Drive it into salt water and leave it sit for awhile to see what happens? And so forth?

A lot of testing have been done yes, and high-voltage disconnect features are in place. And these batteries are not like RC Li-Ion batteries which are prone to fires and explosions if handled incorrectly.

Also in an IC car you are sitting on a tank full of a highly flammable liquid, I can't imagine a battery being any worse :)

I highly doubt they would test for being submerged in salt water or any water for that matter.

I think you'd be wrong... Ending up submerged in water after an accident is not exactly uncommon, I'm sure the safety measures are tested and accounts for this as well.

tesla1.PNG

I highly doubt they would test for being submerged in salt water or any water for that matter.

As Placid points out, cars can end up slipping off the road into a body of water, also sometimes drivers drive through what they think is say one foot deep water in the road and oops, turns out its more like four feet. Wouldn't want the car catching fire and/or electrocuting the people inside.

3) The lack of sound from these vehicles I'll bet is going to cause some people to get hit if/when they become more numerous. Three times already I've almost walked straight out in front of a Prius, because it was in electric mode and so silent. I mean you can be walking along in blissful quiet outdoor peace, thinking that you are alone and there's a car rolling up right on you.

I think you have other problems aside from a vehicle being to quite. I was taught to look both ways before crossing a place where cars drive. Ive never almost been hit by a car.

I ride motorcycle and get the whole "Loud Pipes Save Lives" BS. I think just being more aware is the solution.

I think you have other problems aside from a vehicle being to quite. I was taught to look both ways before crossing a place where cars drive. Ive never almost been hit by a car.

I ride motorcycle and get the whole "Loud Pipes Save Lives" BS. I think just being more aware is the solution.

Just an FYI, they supposedly make a noise module like the Fisker for Tesla, if that is a huge concern.