Air conditioning

scoote69

Ive heard and read varying stories about the air "blowing snowballs" to being unable to cool the car when the temp was over 90. Any insights? Anyone here with over 20k miles that can add anything?

Thank you.

Ive heard and read varying stories about the air "blowing snowballs" to being unable to cool the car when the temp was over 90. Any insights? Anyone here with over 20k miles that can add anything?

Thank you.

My car has 20,000 miles on the odometer. The AC is ice cold and cooling has never been an issue in any temperature. It's been in Vegas where the temp was at least 110 degrees.

my AC works fine, besides for one random occurrence. during a really hot 100+ degree weather in LA, the AC seems to intermittently kick in and out. not fully off. but it would blow hard, then get weaker when i came to a rest at the stop lights. kind of annoying. but hasn't happened since.

No issues with either of my cars - 04 with 24k when I sold it...And my 560 with 22k on it now...

AC in the G has been the best - I literally freeze my nuts off in the summer when I drive it. And I've had my cars out in 95/98 deg days on a number of occasions.

Thank you everyone.

Take it from a Phoenix resident......it works just fine....at 118 there's not a lot that any car can do but the G has never let me down....i certinaly dont drive it that much in the summer but seems to work great.

I would second that for AZ temps and the G. No issues.

my AC works fine, besides for one random occurrence. during a really hot 100+ degree weather in LA, the AC seems to intermittently kick in and out. not fully off. but it would blow hard, then get weaker when i came to a rest at the stop lights. kind of annoying. but hasn't happened since.

same thing happened to me

Mine does the same thing. I believe it is something in the factory control system. May be a reference to speed. It would make a lot of sense if the factory designed the AC system to work this way. Possibly trying to reduce demand on the AC system at low vehicle speeds in order to not over tax the condenser and start blowing hot air (sense there is less airflow blowing across the condenser at low vehicle speed). This is just a theory of mine but in any case the system works very well even in very hot temps here in Texas!

Mine does the same thing. I believe it is something in the factory control system. May be a reference to speed. It would make a lot of sense if the factory designed the AC system to work this way. Possibly trying to reduce demand on the AC system at low vehicle speeds in order to not over tax the condenser and start blowing hot air (sense there is less airflow blowing across the condenser at low vehicle speed). This is just a theory of mine but in any case the system works very well even in very hot temps here in Texas!

wonder what it is? i mean i NEVER had the problem repeat itself. it ONLY happened on the hot day, which also, had the AC on full blast. whenever it's set to 1-4/5 it never had any issues. only on full blast does it do that weird fluctuations.

• 8 years later...

I don’t mean to bring up an old topic but I saw the thread from a different forum.  I am having the same issue as you all mentioned.  The temperature was mid 90s and car ac ran great while driving.  Got to a stop light and the fan speed began to fluctuate by itself to a lower speed.   A short drive down the block I pull into a parking lot and I notice a white smoke/vapor coming from the engine bay.   It also created a sound when it did this ( I’m assuming it’s a blow off valve or something for the pressure).  I thought it may just be the hot day but I tried it again a week later when the temperature was 85 degrees out. Car started and idled fine. Took it for a 10 mile drive.  The ac was cold and stated on 12 fan speed.  Pulled it back into the garage and again acted up like i mentioned.   Passenger rad fan is spinning when AC is on.   I have a video clip of the noise it makes when it release the smoke/vapor.   If you guys have a fix or knowledge of what it is please let me know. I just bought this car in April and this is my first “issue”.  Car is an 04’ with 28k miles 

https://youtu.be/EwYvsUiFyZA