2012 Audi S8 TT

Robster Craws

What are your opinions on this new Audi S8 with a V8TT 520HP. Prices haven't been released yet but we can be pretty sure it will be just north of 100k.

Compared to the other German luxury brands would you pick this over say a 750il TT x-drive or Mercedes S550? Or maybe a used Panamera turbo..

Thoughts about the design?

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/22/2012-au...t-drive-review/

Picture gallery

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-audi-s8-first-drive/

I've always been a fan of the S8 but I think i like the 07 to current body better than this. I did drive right next to a new 7 series BMW on the way home today and I like that new body style better. Everytime I think of wanting a large sedan, I always seem to go back to wanting an Arnage though. I think the only thing I'd want more than an Arnage is a Ghost or Phantom but different ball parks. But back to the S8 it's still a great looking, solid car. I would never drive a Panamera haha.

I don't like the new A8s, I think they're gaudy and overstated. The CF interior trim looks tacky.

Still a great car, but looks department is meh. S63 for me personally.

I've always been a fan of the S8 but I think i like the 07 to current body better than this. I did drive right next to a new 7 series BMW on the way home today and I like that new body style better. Everytime I think of wanting a large sedan, I always seem to go back to wanting an Arnage though. I think the only thing I'd want more than an Arnage is a Ghost or Phantom but different ball parks. But back to the S8 it's still a great looking, solid car. I would never drive a Panamera haha.

You and me both on everything you just said.

I don't like the new A8s, I think they're gaudy and overstated. The CF interior trim looks tacky.

Still a great car, but looks department is meh. S63 for me personally.

I like the carbon trim in this..not sure about the rear though.

I saw a new 750 with the TT V8, and an M badge on the back. Looked like it just had a sport package and the M5/6 wheels, but all in all it was a great looking ride. Between that and the MB S550, that Audi is looking a little dated.

Looks boring stock, but the car in white with a nice set of rims and a slight drop would look fantastic IMO.

I have to say that I like the A8's interior FAR more than the 7 or the S. New 7 series looks the best of the 3 by far, though. S class is getting a bit dated.

I have to say, I liked the look of the old one. The old one looked understated. It didn't shout or try to look "showy". A Phantom or an Mulsanne shouts: "Hey, Look At Me! I'm Rich. You're Not. Ha Ha." This one just doesn't do anything for me.

That being said, I'd go for a Jaguar XJ in the executive sedan segment. It looks classy, inside and out, and it's no more if not slightly cheaper than the Audi/Merc/BMW.

Hate the new A8 body style. Thankfully the S improves some of the faults but i like the last version better with the V10 and almost as much HP. REgardless still a great car and you cant beat Audi's AWD system....

Hate the headlights with a passion. The front end of the car just does not do it for me. I just don't know. The new CLS 63 is a monster though and I love the looks. That would be my choice.

S class for me. I was looking at the new A8 ( i know its not the S8 ) but the styling is just boring. when sitting by a new 7 or an S it just doesnt look like it merits the price tag. The interior is well done however not that comfortable for a big luxury sedan imo

Saw a new A8 yesterday and it didn't do much for me...the S8 looks better...but still kinda boring.

For some reason i'm drawn to british sedans...Jaguar, Bentley, Rolls.

Hate the headlights with a passion.

Really? I think the new Audi headlights look awesome.

However I do agree with most posts on the S8, looks too plain and boring.

Really? I think the new Audi headlights look awesome.

:iamwithstupid:

I love Audi leading the evolvement when it comes to lightning/new tech and when others copy they do it again.. Google maps on the screen :icon_super:

KILLER car but I just don't care for that gearshift handrest & the touch-pad deal....

but the new A8 interior (and esp. S8) is amazing

As mentioned - Jag XJ is actually a good choice as well, though I've heard of reliability issues.

EDIT:

I just read that article about the S8 - and is it me or does this just seem like a bad idea, asking for problems/maintenance nightmares??

cylinder deactivation, which we will get. When conditions are met – engine temperature above 86 degrees Fahrenheit, low to moderate engine loads and running between 960 and 3,500 rpm, in third gear or higher and traveling less than 111 mph – the two inner cylinders on bank one and the two outer cylinders of bank two are switched off. Because of direct injection, air is still pumped through the cylinders and worked by the pistons, but there's no spark and no flame.

sounds too complicated!!