Prototype Countach 5000S

DoctaM3

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you high? My car was in Lambocars magazine! :thefinger:

I hope this is not going too far from Topic, but I wanted to mention the comments from these people, kind of making fun of the CT,

They mention that a solution to prevent the car from catching fire was to separate the Fuel tanks, is this common? Because I have not thought of it and maybe I should? Thanks!

I hope this is not going too far from Topic, but I wanted to mention the comments from these people, kind of making fun of the CT,

They mention that a solution to prevent the car from catching fire was to separate the Fuel tanks, is this common? Because I have not thought of it and maybe I should? Thanks!

I don't think he knows what he is talking about.

The fuel tanks on the carbureted countach's are connected to one another by a small balancing hose.

I by no means can see why this would or could create a fire issue.

I think fire problems on Countach's were simply the result of gas leaks and poorly installed or overheated catalytic converters.

If you eliminate the balancing hose you are going to have unequal tanks of fuel causing other problems.

I don't think he knows what he is talking about.

The fuel tanks on the carbureted countach's are connected to one another by a small balancing hose.

I by no means can see why this would or could create a fire issue.

I think fire problems on Countach's were simply the result of gas leaks and poorly installed or overheated catalytic converters.

If you eliminate the balancing hose you are going to have unequal tanks of fuel causing other problems.

The balancing hose is really bad in the earlier cars and gets better with the newer ones but , as you said, has nothing to do with the car catching fire.

The balancing hose is really bad in the earlier cars and gets better with the newer ones but , as you said, has nothing to do with the car catching fire.

That's a relief, Geez, it is amazing the wealth of information in this forum. Thank you!

I feel dumber after watching that video..

The fuel balancing tube on my 87 is only a couple of thousands of an inch from rubbing on the CV boots. Rubber will rub thru metal. I had a Saab in my shop years ago that had a vacuum hose rub thru a brake line. To much work to modify it so I keep a close eye on it.

Well said...

What I can't understand is how that car with the wrong wheels and goofy interior won some sort of award?

Funny! There is a model of the car in its original form. That car was the only in this color combination and configuration.

Awesome!

Tell the story of the exhaust you have, is that also from those days?

Funny! There is a model of the car in its original form. That car was the only in this color combination and configuration.

By the way, I noticed you are in Columbus OH. You are lucky to be in CountachLand. That is where i bought my car some times ago .

The fuel balancing tube on my 87 is only a couple of thousands of an inch from rubbing on the CV boots. Rubber will rub thru metal. I had a Saab in my shop years ago that had a vacuum hose rub thru a brake line. To much work to modify it so I keep a close eye on it.

If your talking about an 87 Countach I believe your mistaken as the fuel balancing line should be no where remotely close to the CV boots. You must be thinking of the parking brake cables and those shouldn't be that close, maybe 2"-3" away.

Awesome!

Tell the story of the exhaust you have, is that also from those days?

My car originally had the big heavy Countach "box" exhaust then modified with cats when it became the prototype. Even through the car is special, I could not stomach no exhaust note. I removed the system (unbolted only) and made a bolt on system that consists of two Supertraps (very 80's) to each bank. I then made a cradle that supports the new mufflers and uses the stock Lamborghini exhaust mounting points. I can easily bolt the old exhaust back on. This is the one thing I had to change for the enjoyment of driving and it did make a large difference in waking up some perkiness too. I will actually be restoring the original exhaust system shortly when I attend to more detail and tuning work on the car.

I removed the system (unbolted only) and made a bolt on system that consists of two Supertraps (very 80's) to each bank. I then made a cradle that supports the new mufflers and uses the stock Lamborghini exhaust mounting points. I can easily bolt the old exhaust back on.

Nicce! I'm also happy to know that mine has one of those original prototype plenums, ther must be some others out there as well.

I keep thinking of the slaughthering of your front bumper from Euro to DOT, you will keep it as is, right? Do you have pics of the interior? Do you have any leather issues? Is the instrument binacle in good shape? (I'm just curious, due to the age of the car, I imagine there must be some wear). Did you change the original Electronic Ignition System? (Magnetti Marelli)?

I removed the system (unbolted only) and made a bolt on system that consists of two Supertraps (very 80's) to each bank. I then made a cradle that supports the new mufflers and uses the stock Lamborghini exhaust mounting points. I can easily bolt the old exhaust back on.

Nicce! I'm also happy to know that mine has one of those original prototype plenums, ther must be some others out there as well.

I keep thinking of the slaughthering of your front bumper from Euro to DOT, you will keep it as is, right? Do you have pics of the interior? Do you have any leather issues? Is the instrument binacle in good shape? (I'm just curious, due to the age of the car, I imagine there must be some wear). Did you change the original Electronic Ignition System? (Magnetti Marelli)?

No the car is exactly as it left the factory last in like 84-85 in all ways. Except tires, some little misc tune/maintenance stuff, and my exhaust. I will be retaining its worthwhile history as the prototype configuration. My interior is honestly perfect. The leather is supple, un worn/cracked and with no shrinkage. The paint is also very very fine and not chipped. Shoot me a message if you ever want any help with your car.

No the car is exactly as it left the factory last in like 84-85 in all ways. Except tires, some little misc tune/maintenance stuff, and my exhaust. I will be retaining its worthwhile history as the prototype configuration. My interior is honestly perfect. The leather is supple, un worn/cracked and with no shrinkage. The paint is also very very fine and not chipped. Shoot me a message if you ever want any help with your car.

Sounds good! :)

post-9089-1325778748.jpg

Love your car man! Great color combo and glad you drive it :)

Thank you I appreciate that! (Seems we have a good sunny weekend ahead, maybe some driving would be in order?!?

Is anybody familiar with Tritex? in the Columbus OH area?

I believe they do the interior leather work for Evans Auto. They are knowledgeable of Lambo interiors, and I was referred to them.

I do have a warped binnacle...

i know of a carbed one in same livery in Spain, but a carbed 5000S

My car originally had the big heavy Countach "box" exhaust then modified with cats when it became the prototype. Even through the car is special, I could not stomach no exhaust note. I removed the system (unbolted only) and made a bolt on system that consists of two Supertraps (very 80's) to each bank. I then made a cradle that supports the new mufflers and uses the stock Lamborghini exhaust mounting points. I can easily bolt the old exhaust back on. This is the one thing I had to change for the enjoyment of driving and it did make a large difference in waking up some perkiness too. I will actually be restoring the original exhaust system shortly when I attend to more detail and tuning work on the car.

do you have posc of the new sistem?

i like supertraps

do you have posc of the new sistem?

i like supertraps

Just go to www.putschracing.com to the multimedia page and watch the video of the car at the gas station. You can see the exhaust in the beginning.