Continental GT, now available with a V8

Nath4N

Two new Bentley Continental V8 models will be unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit on 9th January 2012. We can now share with you the first official information on the Continental GT models fitted with the new V8 engine.

The new 4.0 liter, twin-turbocharged V8 Continental GT coupé and GTC convertible deliver a maximum power of 500bhp at 6,000rev/min and a peak torque of 660Nm which is available across virtually the entire rev range from 1700 to 5000rev/min, Combined with a new close-ratio eight-speed automatic transmission, this translates into a sub-five second acceleration time for the 0-100km/h sprint and a top speed of over 290km/h.

At the same time, the new V8 Continental models achieve better levels of fuel efficiency and CO2 emissions with respect to the existing engine lineup and are capable of travelling over 500 miles or 800km on a single tank of fuel. Full and official figures will be released in early 2012.

The two models are distinguished by a black gloss matrix grille with chrome frame and center bar, a red enamel Bentley ‘B’ badge, and a black matrix three-segment lower front bumper divided by distinctive body-coloured strakes. At the rear, unique chromed ‘figure eight’ exhaust tailpipes, a dark lower valance and red enamel ‘B’ bootlid badge complement the looks.

Both models are specified with 20 inch alloy wheels as standard with an optional 21 inch six-spoke design which is available in dramatic Diamond Black (exclusive to the Continental V8) or Diamond Silver finishes. Inside the cabin, an Eliade cloth headlining, new contemporary Dark Fiddleback Eucalyptus veneers, optional two-tone leather colour split and short centre console continue the design theme.

source: gtspirit.com

official_new_bentley_continental_gt_v8_001.jpg

official_new_bentley_continental_gt_v8_005.jpg

official_new_bentley_continental_gt_v8_003.jpg

official_new_bentley_continental_gt_v8_009.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems like a no brainer if your looking to buy a luxury DD if it's significantly less then the V12.

50 less horsepower then the V12 but better gas mileage and with the TT engine you could easily up the HP levels past the regular stock car.

if it's significantly less then the V12.

In terms of pricing, Christophe Georges, the president of Bentley, said that there won’t be as substantial a gap between the sticker prices of the eight- and twelve-cylinder cars. “Price is not everything,” he said. “The car remains a Continental GT.” That means it will be positioned closer to the W-12 Continental GT, which starts at $192,495. Bentley’s boss was emphatic that it will not be going downmarket as many competitors have or are planning to do.

There’s a but, though. In the U.S., nearly 30 percent of Continental GTs are leased; in California, the number is as high as 40 percent. By exotic-car standards, the Continental GT has strong residual values, meaning the lease prices for the current W-12 car are comparable to those of less-expensive vehicles. We expect that the V-8 car will have stronger residual values still, meaning that, generally speaking, the lease price can drop lower. From an MSRP standpoint, the V-8 Continental GT may be higher than that of the $153,375 Mercedes-Benz CL63 AMG, but it wouldn’t shock us if the lease prices were in the same ballpark.

If the new V8 is as economical as claimed, these might hold value better as they'll be more sought after in a few years' time. Also I doubt it will be much less expensive, my guess is 10k tops, below the W12. I personally prefer the W12 front grille and bumper.

Like the new look, possibly the same V8 TT as the new 2013 audi s8?

They are built in the same place in Hungary, so most certainly it's the same engine, with a few tweaks.

They are built in the same place in Hungary, so most certainly it's the same engine, with a few tweaks.

What's build in Hungary? The Audi S8 or Bentley CGT? All Bentley are made in Crewe, England last time I checked.

This car looks sportier than the W12. It would have been great if the car goes on a diet. That' would improve the car in every aspect.

Personally, I don't see a point to improve gas mileage other than meeting government regulations. Anyone driving a Bentley would care less about saving $10 every fill up and real world MPG will likely be negeliable. I would like to see the stop engine feature on this car to reduce emission. It's good to have a choice though. Marketing would be tricky since prices are close. I think W12 will be phased out a few years after V8 is out.

What's build in Hungary? The Audi S8 or Bentley CGT? All Bentley are made in Crewe, England last time I checked.

This car looks sportier than the W12. It would have been great if the car goes on a diet. That' would improve the car in every aspect.

Personally, I don't see a point to improve gas mileage other than meeting government regulations. Anyone driving a Bentley would care less about saving $10 every fill up and real world MPG will likely be negeliable. I would like to see the stop engine feature on this car to reduce emission. It's good to have a choice though. Marketing would be tricky since prices are close. I think W12 will be phased out a few years after V8 is out.

I disagree, it's has more to do with having fill up less often. Driving a DD that is a gas guzzler is a PITA if you have to fill it up every 3 days.

Rather have a couple-years-used CGT Speed V12 for say $90-100k versus the $150k+ this is going to sticker at...

I've owned two BCGTs as winter cars and the number one gripe is the mileage. Not the cost, but the HASSLE. If you've got a heavy foot you're fetching fuel every 3 days. Personally I would be a buyer for the BCGTV8. The main issue is the hassle factor and if that's addressed then good.

One of the key moves behind it is the EU group emissions ruling not the US mpg ruling.

Bentley have been making VW a little nervous at their inactivity on new inroads so with a change of boss at Crewe new avenues are being explored.

Every marque seems to be downsizing their engines right now... Except for one dinosaur Italian company.

The new V8 engine is built in Hungary, not the cars.

I've owned two BCGTs as winter cars and the number one gripe is the mileage. Not the cost, but the HASSLE. If you've got a heavy foot you're fetching fuel every 3 days. Personally I would be a buyer for the BCGTV8. The main issue is the hassle factor and if that's addressed then good.

Not to mention one of the worst things to do in the winter is be outside pumping 48l of gas.

I personally couldn't care less whether it's a V8 or V12, or even a V6 so long as the performance is still there. Less weight, good power, better fuel economy, lower emissions, better characteristics/engineering/maintenance (most likely.) Sounds good to me.

• 2 weeks later...

It's 20k euros cheaper than the W12, according to this document I found on the internet. Not bad at all I say, I also have a feeling these will hold their value wee bit better than the W12.

post-9370-1324826987_thumb.jpg

It's 20k euros cheaper than the W12, according to this document I found on the internet. Not bad at all I say, I also have a feeling these will hold their value wee bit better than the W12.

post-9370-1324826987_thumb.jpg

$20,000 less for twice the gas mileage and only 50 less horsepower easily remedied.

$20,000 less for twice the gas mileage and only 50 less horsepower easily remedied.

Wouldn't that translate into a bit more in the US? If its 20k euros here it should be about 26-27k in the US.

I always will love the GT but not sure if I'm feeling the new headlamp design. (smaller low beams, larger high beams) I'll have to inspect it in person at Cobo in a few days.

• 1 month later...