? re gallardo sideview mirror

Assman

If an official lambo dealer tech notes:

" passenger side rear view mirror being very loose. “No work done - mirror on national back order - repair estimate $1900.”

When asked about it the response is:

"We repaired the mirror so it is not loose but this is all I can do because of the back order situation. "

"That is what my parts guy tells me. The mirror still works fine, moves electrically it just won't fold."

I don't know enough about Gallardo mirrors, but are they like Murci mirrors where they fold electronically with a button push? Is this a big deal? If you who have replaced them with the RSC CF covers do you lose the function of folding in?

Thanks.

the mirrors fold upward when the knob on the center console is turned towars the rear of the car. i think the engine needs to be on or something, not sure.

the CF mirror housing does remove the folding capability. to me, the folding is only important if you park on the street often or in a tight garage.

the inside of the mirror can be fixed instead of replacing the whole assembly. i think lamboweb has a write up on this.

if you need parts, i would look at some of the parts places online instead of the dealer to see if they stock it. a good indy shop can fix the mirror but i personally don't think it's a big deal if they don't fold.

That will work if that is what is broken. If the the stand is cracked then you will have to remove and replace. Or at least remove and see if someone can weld the metel together.

I really like the folding action. I fold them in to pull in the garage because I favor the driver's side. It let's me get as close as I like without having to worry about the mirrors.

I "unfold" the mirrors when the car is parked. I like to look at it with mirrors in their normal position (folded disturbs the lines).

It's not a "big deal" but it's a convenience.

the mirrors fold upward when the knob on the center console is turned towars the rear of the car. i think the engine needs to be on or something, not sure.

the CF mirror housing does remove the folding capability. to me, the folding is only important if you park on the street often or in a tight garage.

the inside of the mirror can be fixed instead of replacing the whole assembly. i think lamboweb has a write up on this.

if you need parts, i would look at some of the parts places online instead of the dealer to see if they stock it. a good indy shop can fix the mirror but i personally don't think it's a big deal if they don't fold.

Are you sure that the CF mirror housing DOES remove the folding capability? I don't see why this would be the case if you are essentially just replacing the mirror housing (shell) and stem housing? Isn't the original motor/mechanism just replaced in the new CF housing?

Are you sure that the CF mirror housing DOES remove the folding capability? I don't see why this would be the case if you are essentially just replacing the mirror housing (shell) and stem housing? Isn't the original motor/mechanism just replaced in the new CF housing?

I meant CF does not fold. typo!

Yes, I understood what you said... My question was... Why do they not fold?? :(

That's because the CF is one piece designed to be lightweight on the SL. Therefore, no power folding mechanism for weight savings. it's probably a few lbs saved on each mirror.

That's because the CF is one piece designed to be lightweight on the SL. Therefore, no power folding mechanism for weight savings. it's probably a few lbs saved on each mirror.

In his original post he asked about the folding mechanism, and specifically RSC mirrors. The RSC mirrors are TWO pieces (mirror housing and stem). Thus, they fold just like OEM mirrors...

The stock SL mirrors are also two piece. They fold manually. I see no reason that with the power mechanism, wiring and switch, they would not fold the same. I have actually thought about doing this since I have a smaller garage door.

http://www.lamboweb.com/Repairs_Section/Ga...Side_Mirror.htm

Looks too tough for me! Maybe some good DIYers would attempt this.

I fixed mine, and sort of followed the insructions I broke it on the lift, it was a bit of work but not that complicated....the interior door panel was a pain to remove, which has to be done in either case... if you do fix the mirror, test out the connections before installing back on the door, otherwise you will be taking it off again like I did!