2012 Jeep Cherokee SRT-8

sprite

I think a 2012 car is always going to be better than a 2008 one, especially if that 2008 one is an out of warranty, luxury SUV. Could also get a used Cayenne if you want a fancy brand. I believe my friend has a 2008 Mercedes SUV, though I forget what model. My impression was that it was just an SUV. Felt no different or nicer than my other friends Ford/Mercury SUV.

Apparently it's been improved in the suspension and interior,has more horsepower then the previous model but is actually slightly slower then the outgoing model.

When I was driving the other day I pulled up along side of a brand new one that someone had just bought with a temp plate in the back window. I rolled down my window hoping to get an ear full and hear a brand new growling V8. When the light changed the exhaust noise was almost non-exsistant. I was a hoping for more

Apparently it's been improved in the suspension and interior,has more horsepower then the previous model but is actually slightly slower then the outgoing model.

When I was driving the other day I pulled up along side of a brand new one that someone had just bought with a temp plate in the back window. I rolled down my window hoping to get an ear full and hear a brand new growling V8. When the light changed the exhaust noise was almost non-exsistant. I was a hoping for more

Exhaust note is an easy fix so that's not a major concern. I'm considering getting rid of my truck and getting a SUV to keep in the US instead. On the other side I'm not sure if it's really worth the money for me though. The last few times I've been in ATL I haven't even had plates on my truck and done fine without a car. [i take the MARTA to/from airport/midtown, I can walk to restaurants/shopping/gym/some nightclubs from my condo and otherwise I cab it]. But I'm at least toying with the idea.

Exhaust note is an easy fix so that's not a major concern. I'm considering getting rid of my truck and getting a SUV to keep in the US instead. On the other side I'm not sure if it's really worth the money for me though. The last few times I've been in ATL I haven't even had plates on my truck and done fine without a car. [i take the MARTA to/from airport/midtown, I can walk to restaurants/shopping/gym/some nightclubs from my condo and otherwise I cab it]. But I'm at least toying with the idea.

Do you really need the space of an SUV? I've yet to find a reason to have an SUV/truck. In the rare instances when I need to move something big, I just call up a friend or even go rent one for a day. Most places deliver stuff :)

I'd sell the truck, save money and buy something cheap, or spend 50-60K on something more fun that you might enjoy driving while you're in the US. Lots of decent used cars in that price range that I'd take before I bought a Jeep with extra hp.

That doesn't sound like an SRT-8; are you sure it was one? I haven't heard the new version but owned the previous version and you most definitely would have gotten your wish.

I'd like to drive the new one. The first one was awesome in some respects (torque, exhaust note, handling grip) but very problematic in others (punishing ride and twitchy, way too quick steering), and from what reviews I've read it sounds like they may have fixed the problem areas. But of course the price has gone up a lot too.

That doesn't sound like an SRT-8; are you sure it was one? I haven't heard the new version but owned the previous version and you most definitely would have gotten your wish.

I'd like to drive the new one. The first one was awesome in some respects (torque, exhaust note, handling grip) but very problematic in others (punishing ride and twitchy, way too quick steering), and from what reviews I've read it sounds like they may have fixed the problem areas. But of course the price has gone up a lot too.

I saw the new 300C SRT-8 in action on the highway the other day, and it was VERY quick for a stock 4 door car. Was quiet when he wasn't on it as it should be, but when he stepped on it, you knew he was there.

Not sure if they added more mufflers/sound deadening on the Jeep or not.

Why not just get the older Jeep Srt8 and do a few easy mods. Whats the appeal of the new one?

As noted above, the looks are significantly improved (although the older one didn't look bad), but the issues I mentioned would have been deal breakers for me as far as ever buying another one of that vintage. The ride stiffness was really worse than any street car I've ever owned with the possible exception of a Viper with very stiff aftermarket coilovers, and even that was close. And the steering was scary twitchy IMO. Probably would be ok on a track once you got used to it, but the first time I tried a relatively high speed lane change on the interstate I almost wound up in the median. If they have fixed those issues as the reviews seem to indicate they have, it would be a sweet SUV.

First thing you need to do if you get a new SRT8 is change the wheels. Those have got to be THE ugliest factory wheels on a "performance" or even "decent" vehicle I've ever seen in my life.

sprite the new ones look good, but are they around 60K? imo I would go for a porsche cayenne gts. What are your main draws to the jeep?

i went to look at one before getting a X6M and the build quality is just not up to par IMO. they look decent but inside is so plasticy

I'd get a new one if i was going to DD it. If I just wanted a truck to mod and go fast, I'd buy an 06 and mod the shit out of it for 1/2 the price.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2012 SRT8 as my DD. Love it! I got rid of a brandnew 2011 MB E550 coupe for my Jeep, the Jeep GCSRT8 had all the options that the MB had and then some! Great handling and great pick up for a SUV! People tried to race me end up very surprised!

One huge down fall, the fuel economy BLOWS!! I average only about 12 MPG! My Gallardo does better than my SRT8. I did hear the 2013 models are getting better tranny with upgrades to a 7-speed (5-speed for 2012) where the fuel economy will improve tremendously!

I have a 2012 SRT8 as my DD. Love it! I got rid of a brandnew 2011 MB E550 coupe for my Jeep, the Jeep GCSRT8 had all the options that the MB had and then some! Great handling and great pick up for a SUV! People tried to race me end up very surprised!

One huge down fall, the fuel economy BLOWS!! I average only about 12 MPG! My Gallardo does better than my SRT8. I did hear the 2013 models are getting better tranny with upgrades to a 7-speed (5-speed for 2012) where the fuel economy will improve tremendously!

I averaged 9 to 10 in the city in my 06 GC SRT8... so even 12 is an improvement :)

• 2 years later...

Way old thread. I ended up just picking up a 2014 GC 4x4 with the V8. Didn't feel like spending an extra 20k on SRT model, if I want to go fast I'll drive the Mac. Only driven it like 25 files so far, but car seems great.

Will powder coat the rims black and tint the windows. Maybe do a small stereo upgrade, other than that leave it stock.

post-8895-1397544072_thumb.jpg