Bentley Azure

Falken

Was looking at an arnage the other day on the street and it reminded me how much i like the big bentleys.

Anyone have or had an Azure?

hows access to the back seat? i ask because my parents are getting up there and i pick them up for dinner sometimes so i usually stay away from two door four seaters like the C-GT.

Hows the top? did you spend much time top down?

Is the car much different to drive or much different in general to an arnage? would you recommend owning one?

A lot of people really love the RR Drophead...but i never heard much talk about the Azure being a big lux convertible.

In all fairness it's a pretty cool car to be seen in as it oozes class. But it really isn't the car you'd want to own or drive.

First, the Arnage/Azure is a car from old school (really old British school). That means all coach work is top class (although no more Connolly leather :( ) and, IMO, that's how the interior of a British luxury barge should be. But in reality both the drive-train and the chassis had been obsolete 30 years ago. Bentley tried to stuff as many updated electronics and gizmo into the car which actually made it worse as all those just aren't compatible with each other.

Second, the car is already so long and heavy and yet it had its roof chopped off. You can imagine where this leads to: massive cowl shake. 2-1/2 tonne of heavy conventional steel + high hp yet lazy engine rolling on a roofless wheelbase so long a sub-compact can fit in between it. The car flexes so bad over bumpy roads it felt like you are heading one way while your rear passengers are heading another.

Third, for similar reasons on the above, the brakes on this car are just totally not up to the job. The discs and the calipers are way too small in today's terms especially considering the sprung weight and the hp. At times, it's outright scary trying to stop this gargantuan.

Fourth, an honest service advisor/tech would tell you that they rather not see you buying the car. Electronics were never a British forte and even VW couldn't resolve all the gremlins within this car. All the modern gizmo simply wasn't meant to be put into this ancient car. It's a nightmare for both the tech to troubleshoot this car and the owner paying the progress in vain.

Plenty of room at the back and the doors are wide and long (and heavy) but at the end of the day, it's still a 2-door coupe so climbing in & out --- however easy --- is still climbing and never be comparable to opening the rear doors.

Incomparable & incompatible with the GTC and/or the RR Drophead: totally different era of cars. The modern ones with proper metal alloy for chassis stiffness and, in a way, lighter weight; and were engineered with the latest electronic gadgetry and driving aid in mind.

I had been wanting to own an Arnage/Azure for a long while and there are a few occasions where I even had the cheque book ready; but a simple test drive had always resulted in me turning away. There was even once I tried an immaculate-looking low-mileage car from it's original dealership where I started the car, press the gas pedal & nothing happened! Neither the sales nor the tech can get the car rolling. The engine was running but the gas pedal was like it was never connected to anything. 20 mins later, without doing anything to it other than turning it off and it somehow "reconnected" itself & worked fine. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it looks great, gives you the classy and even aristocratic feel :P . I guess it's ok to drive one going to a fancy dinner or to the opera within the city limits. Stretch it a little and in a way it's a chick magnet too. :icon_mrgreen: But in terms of sheer driving pleasure, it's a dog of a car to drive & own. I would pass on this one. And do you really want to own a convertible in B.C.?

that was a ton of good information. I know Allan really seemed to like his...but you raise a lot of good points.

that gas pedal story is crazy! when something like that happens in a car you never forget it...i could never trust the car again.

As long as you are talking 2007 and newer I think the car is solid. Yes its old tech but it has a strong engine/trans and in my opinion despite its size is actually pretty fun to drive. The brakes may be not up to par with a sports car but I never had and braking issues with my similar set up Arnage. I didn't notice any cowl shake either but didn't try to pitch it around. Electronics would be my only concern but I would think that would be sorted on a used one. The nav is a seperate system from the stereo which is nice as well. Bottom line is a newer Azure T would be a great buy for 160k, for 350k not so much! The car with the brooklands/Arnage T wheels in a good color looks great.

Like I said, it is a very classy car and one would feel good driving it, at least superficially. But when you go test drive a car and the gas pedal didn't respond at all only to be perfectly "normal" again 20mins later, all the alarm bells in your head go off. Supplemented by your very own Bentley dealership service advisors (and yes, that's plural) saying that the car had outlived its deserved era and didn't really want to add another headache to his portfolio, you know it's time to move on.

I honestly liked the Arnage too and came very close to getting one; I was seriously looking into getting a late model Arnage T; just that every time I test drive one, I was not impressed. Perhaps I have been mislead by its large hp & huge torque numbers and thought I can do much "spirited" driving in it whereas in reality, it cannot defy the laws of physics as it is a mega-ton barge. Treat it gently and just cruise it around town and it should be fine (like driving those Silver-Xxxx-era Rolls Royces that never disclosed their performance figures; everything was labelled as "adequate"). That's only the Arnage though. To me, the Azure simply flexes way too much and when a 2-1/2 ton car gives me fear rather than security, I would pass.

The was an issue with the NAV on these cars being that the software doesn't display the street names on the screen map but later model year cars had the issues resolved although the updated software cannot be retrofitted to the older model year cars.

The Brooklands is much better than the Azure; having a fixed roof certainly helps and even the brakes were much better. But it is rather rare (at least where Falken and I are at) so a local used one is almost non-existent and it is likely in short enough supply that its used prices still commands a premium.

I agree that the MY2007 and onward are better. And IMO, it is the last of the truly opulent old school British luxury saloon, the leather, stitching, woodwork, real metal bright works are simply decadent. But along with it also came those truly British idiosyncrasies that would certainly leave you at odds or even startle you. They simply tried to stuff as many updated technology into a car --- mechanical, electronic and otherwise --- that was never engineered to accept the same. As afore-mentioned on my previous post elsewhere, I'd now much rather concentrate on getting the new Mulsanne. The face does need some getting use to. But once that's set in, it truly is a fine automobile that reflects its marque and name.

Like I said, it is a very classy car and one would feel good driving it, at least superficially. But when you go test drive a car and the gas pedal didn't respond at all only to be perfectly "normal" again 20mins later, all the alarm bells in your head go off. Supplemented by your very own Bentley dealership service advisors (and yes, that's plural) saying that the car had outlived its deserved era and didn't really want to add another headache to his portfolio, you know it's time to move on.

I honestly liked the Arnage too and came very close to getting one; I was seriously looking into getting a late model Arnage T; just that every time I test drive one, I was not impressed. Perhaps I have been mislead by its large hp & huge torque numbers and thought I can do much "spirited" driving in it whereas in reality, it cannot defy the laws of physics as it is a mega-ton barge. Treat it gently and just cruise it around town and it should be fine (like driving those Silver-Xxxx-era Rolls Royces that never disclosed their performance figures; everything was labelled as "adequate"). That's only the Arnage though. To me, the Azure simply flexes way too much and when a 2-1/2 ton car gives me fear rather than security, I would pass.

The was an issue with the NAV on these cars being that the software doesn't display the street names on the screen map but later model year cars had the issues resolved although the updated software cannot be retrofitted to the older model year cars.

The Brooklands is much better than the Azure; having a fixed roof certainly helps and even the brakes were much better. But it is rather rare (at least where Falken and I are at) so a local used one is almost non-existent and it is likely in short enough supply that its used prices still commands a premium.

I agree that the MY2007 and onward are better. And IMO, it is the last of the truly opulent old school British luxury saloon, the leather, stitching, woodwork, real metal bright works are simply decadent. But along with it also came those truly British idiosyncrasies that would certainly leave you at odds or even startle you. They simply tried to stuff as many updated technology into a car --- mechanical, electronic and otherwise --- that was never engineered to accept the same. As afore-mentioned on my previous post elsewhere, I'd now much rather concentrate on getting the new Mulsanne. The face does need some getting use to. But once that's set in, it truly is a fine automobile that reflects its marque and name.

:iamwithstupid:

I came close to pulling the trigger on one so many times but i just can't do it as i have spoken to so many owners who cursed the car. I love the fit and finish but i think it would be a total pain as a DD.

Probably going to wait for the Mulsanne to get killed some more, it looks really good.

:iamwithstupid:

I came close to pulling the trigger on one so many times but i just can't do it as i have spoken to so many owners who cursed the car. I love the fit and finish but i think it would be a total pain as a DD.

Probably going to wait for the Mulsanne to get killed some more, it looks really good.

When Allan first drove the Mulsanne and swore he would take one over a Phantom I thought he was nutty. Now after seeing more and more they are just incredible cars. Look very very good

This one is perfect

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bentley-Mul...#ht_20259wt_958

• 2 weeks later...
I cant even imagine how awesome that 2200 Watt NIAM audio system sounds....

Actually, it ain't that awesome at all. Over-damped and not enough dynamics. Pardon the pun but the typical "old British sound" signature.

Actually, it ain't that awesome at all. Over-damped and not enough dynamics. Pardon the pun but the typical "old British sound" signature.

Well thats wildly disappointing!

Well thats wildly disappointing!

Kind of expected but then again I'm really picky. Just enjoy the drive --- i.e. the Mulsanne.