2013 SRT Viper - Main Thread

Kisco

I have tried to stay abreast to the latest news and info regarding the new Viper. Anyone else excited to see what this car has to offer?

From a recent interview with CEO of SRT, Ralph Gilles..

You say you want to appeal to a different customer, how are you going to do that?

"It’s mostly to do with execution. I love my current Viper owners, don’t get me wrong. They’re fanatical, we love ‘em, and we absolutely designed this car with them in mind first. But in terms of the level of detail, the finishing — world class is what we’re going after. Because we did some research and we talked to people that would set foot in a Viper — they like the Viper, they respected it, but they would never own one, and we asked them why and 99 percent of the issues had to do with fit and finish, the execution. It should look like what you charge for it. So we think the execution definitely will be appealing to a lot more people this time"

Also, rumor is that the starting price is going to be right around 137K!!

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

also very excited for the release of this new machine! should be an excelent car! dodge does well with the agressive styling nature of their vehicles, its to bad gm couldnt make a more agressive looking corvette! now ford needs to step into the super car market! gt just never really took off,

The new CEO has certainly improved the cars by using better materials and design cues. I think it will be a good car but will still drop like a tank in value and be nice to pick up on the cheap in a couple of years.

also very excited for the release of this new machine! should be an excelent car! dodge does well with the agressive styling nature of their vehicles, its to bad gm couldnt make a more agressive looking corvette! now ford needs to step into the super car market! gt just never really took off,

The new Viper is not a Dodge product any longer. It has branded off to SRT only.

If the rumors are true about the price tag being mid 130s to start, it better be a bad bitch!!

Can't wait to see what it looks like!

Did someone just say the GT never took off? Holy shit, I'm terribly misguided.

Best

:iamwithstupid:

Maybe you and I are confused on how unwell or wait well it did??? WTF

$137k for this market segment is comical if true, very few people who previously owned the car at MUCH lower price points would be able to step up to the plate at that level. Even if they offer "96-month financing". :lol2:

And even if it is world class, the competition at that level (both new and used) is just so damn good that it's a tough sell.

The ZR-1 is depreciating like crazy for a reason, and that reason is that going with an American car that's priced over $100k is dangerous.

Anything below that is fine, but once you get into six-figures you've got so many other options that it's an entirely different ballgame.

My advice would be the same as the advice for Honda with the new NSX: Make it world class, and make it $90k, and you've got a winner. :icon_thumleft:

alabama-yokel.jpg

I don't understand the SRT branding. But whatever.

It has to be sub 100k. Just has to be. No way in hell will it be at least 40k more than a GT-R and be taken seriously.

close to 140k for a viper? ummm no thanks.

with that being said for that price this thing better look, perform, and be top notch quality!

The new CEO has certainly improved the cars by using better materials and design cues. I think it will be a good car but will still drop like a tank in value and be nice to pick up on the cheap in a couple of years.

Just like Lambos Ferrar(s) ETC,ETC......only you wont be losing 100K+ and you will still have a car that will perform as good as said exotics,lol. Also when it does break you wont have to mortgage your home to get it fixed(I kid).

I know the Viper responds more to blue collar then the exotics crowd so I do think it will be a tougher sell over 100K but even us poor folk will find a way to get one if it looks and performs well. I also think, believe it or not, that with the addition of stability control(or whatever you want to call it) some new buyers will come into the fold..

The Viper has always been known as a Widow Maker and for good reason so with some nannies to control that high low end torque it might lure some new buyers in. The Viper faithful will not like it but its reported that it will be a system that can be turned off completely. I know my 599 is a different machine with its nannies off plus the fact that Iam not a world class driver,lol... I call my 599 the gentleman Viper.

Iam rooting for SRT and the new Viper as I root for the ZR1..

There is significant penetration into the bottom end of the secondary exotic market by Viper and Corvette owners. Look at all the new 2004 - 2006 owners on this board alone. These are the guys that were buying new American metal, and now have taken the psychological jump into their first exotic. They were already spending the money, and now have moved into a used G affording a significant jump in cachet without significant jump in cash.

Unfortunately the move the other way is not easy. The typical Ferrari or Lambo owner that would also own a Viper owns multiple vehicles. However the guys with a single exotic don't want to move downmarket in brand. Pricing Vipers and Corvettes into rare air is tricky business. I personally don't understand the business model and would not purchase one as it will fall off a cliff. That said I think more models into sports car segment is great for the consumer, even if the American ones are weird ejaculations of cheap leather and plastic panels.

Wonder what they will do for this car??

The newer ACR cars are incredible track cars and beat the snot out of everything around a track. The 08+ cars like the ACR, are 600hp, but have crappy interior quality just like the K0rvettes.

Maybe 650 hp with a MUCH revised/improved interior?

I also assume that chebby will be doing the same with the new model korvette. Will likely do it for less money too.

There is a rumor on the chebby having a TTV8 too

There is significant penetration into the bottom end of the secondary exotic market by Viper and Corvette owners. Look at all the new 2004 - 2006 owners on this board alone. These are the guys that were buying new American metal, and now have taken the psychological jump into their first exotic. They were already spending the money, and now have moved into a used G affording a significant jump in cachet without significant jump in cash.

Unfortunately the move the other way is not easy. The typical Ferrari or Lambo owner that would also own a Viper owns multiple vehicles. However the guys with a single exotic don't want to move downmarket in brand. Pricing Vipers and Corvettes into rare air is tricky business. I personally don't understand the business model and would not purchase one as it will fall off a cliff. That said I think more models into sports car segment is great for the consumer, even if the American ones are weird ejaculations of cheap leather and plastic panels.

Very good points. I think you are right in the sense that the true collectors (multiple exotic owners) would buy it if its a great car at that price point, but they are pricing themselves out of a significant amount of buyers for their given niche market.

I think you guys are somewhat classifying the car above its league. If its anything like previous vipers the rated hp will be near what it puts to the tires. If they give it a decent gearbox it should be a load of fun.

I know some tuners who have been testing gen IV cars with the new motor/drivetrain, and from what I've been told bone stock it's as fast as a gen IV with a blower.

I would be shocked if it isn't right there with the aventador and other new cars.

My concern is what it will look like. The motors and performance have always been there but I haven't liked any of the newer designs as much as I liked my GTS. Either way I have no doubt that they will be able to sell them, even at that price point

So we know it looks like the other Vipers.....

I guess the good news is that the new Viper will be a reminiscent of the older Vipers that the majority of the Viper crowed favored.