2013 SRT Viper - Main Thread

Kisco

Fadi, that's true.

One thing about the design I can tell I already like.

The indentation on the roof. You guys may not be able to put the pieces together but I did. That indentation is a physical manifestation of the indentations in the heads of the SRT pricing departments members caused by blunt force trauma suffered while in R&D of the new Viper. This ultimately led to an estimated $130k sticker price, amongst a plethora of other likely poor decisions.

Quite endearing, in my opinion.

Best

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice to see the curves and the snake DNA of the GTS return. As for the price. It supposed to have carbonfibre body panels, highend build quality and high grade materials for the interior along with about 700hp. Don't see why it should be sold for the same price as the inferiorly built older model at 100k. This kind of improvement costs and it should be expected to be reflected in the asking price. At 130k some of you are reacting like it's the second coming of the LFA lol.

Fadi, that's true.

The indentation on the roof. You guys may not be able to put the pieces together but I did. That indentation is a physical manifestation of the indentations in the heads of the SRT pricing departments members caused by blunt force trauma suffered while in R&D of the new Viper. This ultimately led to an estimated $130k sticker price, amongst a plethora of other likely poor decisions.

Best

I LOL'd

Fadi, that's true.

Best

HAHA.

Nice to see the curves and the snake DNA of the GTS return. As for the price. It supposed to have carbonfibre body panels, highend build quality and high grade materials for the interior along with about 700hp. Don't see why it should be sold for the same price as the inferiorly built older model at 100k. This kind of improvement costs and it should be expected to be reflected in the asking price. At 130k some of you are reacting like it's the second coming of the LFA lol.

I actually agree with you. IF the car embraces all the rumors and debuts with 650+ HP, world class interior, CF panels, looks to kill, etc etc, then I would/will pay 130K for it. But there sure are a lot of "IFs", so only time will tell.

I actually agree with you. IF the car embraces all the rumors and debuts with 650+ HP, world class interior, CF panels, looks to kill, etc etc, then I would/will pay 130K for it. But there sure are a lot of "IFs", so only time will tell.

Yep thats the problem. The "if's". "Along with the hype about world class interior, CF panels etc it has huge performance shoes to fill too with the outgoing models accomplishments still looming large. It better be significantly faster than the Gen IV's.

Come on Dodge, Chrysler, or whatever-the-fcuk the name of this brand is now, can we have something original?

This car didn't go out of production 20 years ago, we don't need a GT40-remake edition of the last version.

Hope it gets a lot more new-looking than that early peak...

Come on Dodge, Chrysler, or whatever-the-fcuk the name of this brand is now, can we have something original?

This car didn't go out of production 20 years ago, we don't need a GT40-remake edition of the last version.

Hope it gets a lot more new-looking than that early peak...

Funny, because thats exactly the opposite of what the viper owners want. Hell I'd love them to have an optional version with the whole new drivetrain hiding under a GTS body. Make mine sapphire blue, no stripes please! :monkeyleft:

Funny, because thats exactly the opposite of what the viper owners want. Hell I'd love them to have an optional version with the whole new drivetrain hiding under a GTS body. Make mine sapphire blue, no stripes please! :monkeyleft:

Of course those mouth-breathers do, they'd love to drive the same banana-boat clown shoe forever. :icon_mrgreen:

I'm curious to hear what guys like FikseGTS say on it, but I had assumed that with new managers and leadership they'd do something outside of the typical "POS/911" playbook of safe, conservative, refreshing every six years.

To me it needs to be a blank-slate car if the price is what we're hearing it is, to appeal to people beyond the typical Viper owner. To bring people into the fold that are willing (and able) to pay $100k+ for a fun toy.

Keep it front-engined with rear-wheel drive as those are core principals for the car, but take it in a new direction that moves the needle.

Hopefully it will be more than this, perhaps the tease shot is just to give them something friendly before unveiling the more radical look. :eusa_dance:

Of course those mouth-breathers do, they'd love to drive the same banana-boat clown shoe forever. :icon_mrgreen:

Hey. . . wait a second here. :eusa_think: :eusa_naughty:

I love those clown shoes!

signed - not a vca member. :icon_super:

Hey. . . wait a second here. :eusa_think: :eusa_naughty:

I love those clown shoes!

signed - not a vca member. :icon_super:

I forgot to add Allan's "U-Boat Commander" diss to that list also, along with the obligatory "Aircraft Carrier" line... :icon_mrgreen:

I honestly like the ones they made before production ended, but I'm hoping for something different this time. Something that can carry them to 2020 as they're hoping and not seem old/boring/already-done-that.

It's a tough order, always hard pleasing the diehards and attracting new buyers simutaneously.

Fadi, that's true.

Best

:lol2:

The Viper has been a symbolic prototypical American performance vehicle; brash, caustic , raw and somewhat uncultured. It has personified the best (and sometimes worst) the American car manufacturers have to offer.

But let's be honest, if they intend to sell this new car in the $100k+ range they are attempting to appeal to a much more discriminating buyer. Yes it will have to have the appropriate performance levels; but fit & fininsh will be critical. As has been said the devill is in the details, and the details will have to be top class. But in doing so they will be abandoning the blue collar buyer.

What did you expect. Porsche Carrera S' now cost around 130G's when fully loaded. This is just the market folks. M3's are 75,000 cars now.

What did you expect. Porsche Carrera S' now cost around 130G's when fully loaded. This is just the market folks. M3's are 75,000 cars now.

That's a good point, though Porsche/BMW have obviously more cache and prestige in the US than Dodge/Chevrolet.

The GTR is a recent example of price creep, opening at launch around $65k and now going for nearly $100k (yes I know they've made improvements to it over the years, save the speech lurkers).

Different forms of inflation are definitely starting to show up in certain areas of manufacturing, only a matter of time before it hits all sectors...

That's why you got to look at price per performance when it starts to get like it is now or just not buy anything lol. They are all overpriced anyway.

Going off strictly rumor at this point but if it all the hype holds true, where else are people going to get carbon fiber body panels, 700hp+, supposedly world class interior/performance blah blah blah etc for anything less that 200k if it weren't for the 130k[?]Viper? When you look at it from that perspective its not that bad a pill to swallow if one has the disposable coin for cars in this range or higher.

It still wont have the prestige that some shoppers insist on. There are better marques for that. Performance and looks are the key. They better not fatten it up trying to be world class luxurious and thus harm the performance. It better wipe the floor with cars like the ZR1 et al or I'm afraid it will be a disappointment and be the first Viper to be labeled a GT car. Perish the thought lol.

I have had two tt vipers. When this new one comes out, if ugr is willing to tt it, I will get it. Some people, especially with American brands, are brand loyal. I'm one of those. While I would love to own a lambo, I've never owned a non mopar car, not sure I could do it lol.

That's a good point, though Porsche/BMW have obviously more cache and prestige in the US than Dodge/Chevrolet.

The GTR is a recent example of price creep, opening at launch around $65k and now going for nearly $100k (yes I know they've made improvements to it over the years, save the speech lurkers).

Different forms of inflation are definitely starting to show up in certain areas of manufacturing, only a matter of time before it hits all sectors...

I could be way off base, but I still don't get WHY someone would walk into a BMW dealership and pay close to $100k for a new M3. I LOVE the car, and have often thought of buying a used one for my next DD, but to buy new doesn't make sense. I was recently at South Motors BMW in Miami, and saw an Orange (Special Order Color) M3 with every possible option+all of the BMW Performance stuff-Carbon Mirrors, Carbon front splitter, Performance Exhaust. MSRSP was $93k and change.

You can buy a 2008 for $40k with 20000 miles! Unless you are leasing it because you own a business and are using it as a tax write off, its simply retarded.

I guess you can make the same argument with 2012 GTR at $100k vs. a 2009 at $60k. Sure you get more performance out of the newer car if you are keeping it stock, and you don't have to void your warranty (and again the leasing point as well). You can send your 2009 to any GTR tuner and drop $10k on tune, exhaust, dp's, intercooler, intake, and a nice set of wheels.

I have joked about letting all the vca members buy up the first year model. Let them wax it 20 times, change oil 5x, drive it to cruise ins and put 1k miles on it. Then buy it for 40k less lol. So many of tho dudes treat the car like it is fragile. I it does come out at 130ish, wonder what it will do to old prices.

I have joked about letting all the vca members buy up the first year model. Let them wax it 20 times, change oil 5x, drive it to cruise ins and put 1k miles on it. Then buy it for 40k less lol. So many of tho dudes treat the car like it is fragile. I it does come out at 130ish, wonder what it will do to old prices.

This is exactly the road the ZR1 has been on...

I could be way off base, but I still don't get WHY someone would walk into a BMW dealership and pay close to $100k for a new M3.

Agree, that's another good example. That car could do 10s and I wouldn't pay $80k+ for it, it's still a damn 3-series when all is said and done.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh boy... :eusa_wall:

Leaked from a not yet released Hot Wheels 2012 catalog of cars they're introducing for the Summer. Yes it's apparantly the actual car, albeit the leaked image was a small thumbnail only that I enlarged:

Looks soft, Lotus-like at the front, and generally lame:

2013_dodge_viper_hot_wheels.jpg

Front kinda reminds me of a mix between a S2000 and a California.

Can't wait to see a real pic though. Body kits will be popular with this one...

I think it will have a distinctly GTS profile from the front, and hoping that a lot of those lines just aren't showing up well in the pic.

I thought Lotus Evora/350z headlights when I saw that picture. The car doesn't look bad though and has me excited to see the full release.

There probably will be more body kits with this car than previous which isn't necessarily a good thing. A lot of the cheaper Vipers still look good because new owners don't have many options besides throwing on some hideous wheels. If kits become available for this car, once it hits $30-40k people will really start throwing on ugly kits, cheapening the cars IMHO.