2013 SRT Viper - Main Thread

Kisco

$137k is an ass load of $$

Then again even a base 6 series is limping near 100k so thats just par for the course these days.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've owned a GTS and an SRT-10 and I was really excited about the unveil, even tuned in and watched it live. I considered myself to be a potential buyer as I've always had a particular love for Vipers.

To quote Allan, this was a total disappointment. This looks like the car that should have supplanted the GTS back in 2003, except now we get it a decade later. To me, the car looks 10 years old and like a GTS that's been body kitted. The front-facing profile is uninspiring and flaccid. I don't understand how some car design guys can get in a room and have total freedom to design and develop something from scratch, and instead of starting with a blank slate, they take something that looks no better than a model year upgrade from that last year GTS.

I happen to love the front end. Different strokes for different folks though. Also I don't know where you heard that Vipers weren't well built. They are pretty damn near bulletproof. Maybe you meant not luxurious or high grade interiors? If that's the case then ill definitely agree there but the 2013 will change that. That pricing seems much more than I expected! But maybe they are planning for fewer production numbers as I know they stated they don't expect this to be incredibly profitable. I will wait till they are sub $100k

I happen to love the front end. Different strokes for different folks though. Also I don't know where you heard that Vipers weren't well built. They are pretty damn near bulletproof. Maybe you meant not luxurious or high grade interiors? If that's the case then ill definitely agree there but the 2013 will change that. That pricing seems much more than I expected! But maybe they are planning for fewer production numbers as I know they stated they don't expect this to be incredibly profitable. I will wait till they are sub $100k

I'm with you, the Gen II cars didn't have the most luxurious interiors (aside from the best seats ever installed in any car), but as for being well built I dare you to find a more reliable sports car.

I would bet a lot of money you'll see those motors running well past 200k miles without pulling a valve cover.

FWIW there doesn't seem to be a big middle ground with vipers. You either love how raw and brutal they are, or think it's an unbearable hunk of shit. I would wager there is a direct correlation to viper love and size of ones balls behind the wheel. :eusa_think:

They made the mistake with the Gen 3 design! Gen IIIs will likely become cheaper than gen IIs IMO. They needed this redesign though to get back to where they were with the Gen IIs. I completely disagree about it not being a classic. A classic to me means that no matter what year it is it will still look good at any time and they definitely do to me

In reading about more details today it's disappointing that this is basically the last car's entire platform with a new interior and a couple more HP...

Yes yes, they're talking a lot about little here-and-there changes to certain components, and that's nice and all, but at $120k+ for the model everyone ultimately will want I'd have expected a brand new platform.

And what's with the asinine 640HP rating? You couldn't provide 10-15hp more to give bragging rights for your $120k+ buyers owners over that top-end Mustang and the ZR-1? That was too much of a stretch? :rolleyes:

I like this less and less.

They made the mistake with the Gen 3 design! Gen IIIs will likely become cheaper than gen IIs IMO

If you compare equal mileage vehicles, the 03'-05' cars are generally less expensive than 99-01' GTS. Various models swing up and down, 99' and 01' ACR bringing some premiums, as do the Sapphire and bumble bee 01's.

An 01' Sapphire no-stripes ACR will still fetch numbers that all but the most recent coupes can't touch.

my 2008 ACR put down 546 rwhp bone stock.... it was way underrated, that's what the ZR1's put down.... I never felt like it performed at that power level though...

Lol. You are right. The GTS dyno range was 415-420hp yet rated at 450...Well lets hope they brought back that part of the GTS nostalgia with the underrating of the power....

On another note Im not at all fond of the front end. Way too much Ferrari/Masser Gran Turismo. Now instead of being distinctly Viper it will now look like another car from far coming at you. Love the overall shape though. How could you not like a modern GTS. And that interior. WOWW.

In reading about more details today it's disappointing that this is basically the last car's entire platform with a new interior and a couple more HP...

Yes yes, they're talking a lot about little here-and-there changes to certain components, and that's nice and all, but at $120k+ for the model everyone ultimately will want I'd have expected a brand new platform.

And what's with the asinine 640HP rating? You couldn't provide 10-15hp more to give bragging rights for your $120k+ buyers owners over that top-end Mustang and the ZR-1? That was too much of a stretch? :rolleyes:

I like this less and less.

Ding ding ding we have a winner! I didn't want to spoil it for anyone prior to the reveal, but its just not that impressive and gets more disappointing day by day.

my 2008 ACR put down 546 rwhp bone stock.... it was way underrated, that's what the ZR1's put down.... I never felt like it performed at that power level though...

Would you say it was the lazy 3.07 gearing that made it not perform every bit like 546 rwhp? Some have gotten 10.9-11.0 @ 128-131mph with that same lazy gearing. Isnt that indicative of around 540rwhp in a near 3500 lb car? The ZR1's traped higher but are also lighter and have better gearing.

BTW folks the term "estimated" was used with the 640hp comment from what I read. So plan on this car having more than that. Also the gearing both in the rear end and tranny are much more aggressive that any Gen Viper ever had. And its lighter. Im expecting it to trap around 135 and dip in the 10's with the info Ive read. My humble opinion of course.

the gear is part of it, but I always felt like the electronics were holding the car back.... my car never did well in the 1/8 mile even with a decent launch, but seemed to shine on the back half... I ran 11.08 @ 132.7 MPH with 600 rwhp, so the new car should run a bit better than that....

Would you say it was the lazy 3.07 gearing that made it not perform every bit like 546 rwhp? Some have gotten 10.9-11.0 @ 128-131mph with that same lazy gearing. Isnt that indicative of around 540rwhp in a near 3500 lb car? The ZR1's traped higher but are also lighter and have better gearing.

BTW folks the term "estimated" was used with the 640hp comment from what I read. So plan on this car having more than that. Also the gearing both in the rear end and tranny are much more aggressive that any Gen Viper ever had. And its lighter. Im expecting it to trap around 135 and dip in the 10's with the info Ive read. My humble opinion of course.

Ding ding ding we have a winner! I didn't want to spoil it for anyone prior to the reveal, but its just not that impressive and gets more disappointing day by day.
So basically it has just been reskinned? That is disappointing. The ACR was an impressive handler but that chassis is now really old! Hasn't it been the same since the second generation (the one the original GTS was built on)?

Also went back to forged internals if I read correctly which is pretty big. This was a pain for 00- current owners who wanted to run fairly high power because they had to factor in forged parts to builds. I guess I'm just on the opposite side of the spectrum and I think it looks very promising to me....pending prices lol. I'm hoping there is a build configurator online soon!

Also went back to forged internals if I read correctly which is pretty big. This was a pain for 00- current owners who wanted to run fairly high power because they had to factor in forged parts to builds. I guess I'm just on the opposite side of the spectrum and I think it looks very promising to me....pending prices lol. I'm hoping there is a build configurator online soon!

I'm with you, I bet once this car actually hits the streets it will be embarrassing quite a few of the new "supercars"... and when the ACR comes out well look the fcuk out.

Forged internals is huge! I believe the compression is a little higher on this car, and the multi-air (I believe it has this) might make things a little complicated, but it's ready to eat some boost.

I'm still itching for a sapphire gts that got an arrow motor with the 99 cam and guts. . . just can't get the current owner to turn loose of it.

fwiw I'm a viper lover. Drive one that is dialed in and they are absolutely amazing cars.

While I don't remember all the details at the reveal; its much more than just a reskin but does not qualify as an all new design.

Nearly every chassis system has been re-engineered to increase performance and shed weight while keeping a near perfect 50/50 weight distribution. For 2013, the Viper has shed more than 100 pounds with numerous chassis refinements including a new spaceframe with high-strength steels; carbon fiber and aluminum body panels; lighter wheels; and a lighter engine.

The 100% boxed frame has enhanced strength and stiffness; it has been re-engineered and is far stiffer.

Bottom line this is a much improved Viper and should perform very well.

the gear is part of it, but I always felt like the electronics were holding the car back.... my car never did well in the 1/8 mile even with a decent launch, but seemed to shine on the back half... I ran 11.08 @ 132.7 MPH with 600 rwhp, so the new car should run a bit better than that....

Gotcha.

On another note the chassis may be the architecture as the Gen 4 but it is tweaked to be 50% stiffer. That FIFTY PERCENT STIFFER. If the old ACR chassis is that deadly, being 50% weaker in torsional ridigity, what do you think this chassis will do especially the ACR version?

Don't get hung up on the fact it's an enhanced older chassis. how long did Lambo use the same chassis? If it works.......

Fully trimmed out in GTS level it will cost $137k from what I read on VC. The base SRT Viper will be $95k. Fully optioned out it hits that $137k mark. Not sure if the interior leather is standard or only the higher end GTS package.

Soup. Vipers arent supercars??? What more does it have to do to be a supercar? Maybe you meant exotic. If so thats an argument for another day lol.

Just_Haynes you might be right. Take a look at the hp/wt ratio here.

Frame11.jpg

Power to weight is gonna be a big factor,and it being better than the Aventador is going to mean alot..

Power to weight is gonna be a big factor,and it being better than the Aventador is going to mean alot..

No, it's not. An FR layout can't perform as well as a mid-engine AWD layout even with a superior power/weight ratio.

The ratio isn't what makes the car move, it's traction. The Viper, like all high-horsepower FR cars will always be traction limited in it's performance off the line. There's only so much you can ask of the rear wheels, for that reason the new Viper's rear tires are of the 355 mil variety. Holy shit BTW!

The fcuking thing's built out of steel! STEEL! Are you kidding me?

Nobody's asking them to build a Pagani masterpiece carbon tub, but at least aluminum. Damn!

3300lbs is still relatively light for today's cars, however if they used aluminum I think they could have been much closer to 3000lbs which would have been much more impressive. I would not be surprised if the reason it "only" has 640hp is the same reason it has a heavier steel frame; it can't have a better power to weight ratio than the upcoming halo Fcar. The track pack takes 40lbs out and makes the Viper about 210lbs lighter than an Aventador. I think it will be interesting to see the comparison, but I don't think anyone will be cross shopping the two. Also, the McLaren gives the Aventador a run for it's money from a dead stop while being RWD, although the McLaren does have a layout advantage over the Viper. Roll racing and track times will be where I expect the Viper to take it to other supercars. With a familiar, capable driver I think the Viper will put up some really good times. The old Vipers always required not just a good driver, but a driver familiar with the car to get the most out of it.

3300lbs is still relatively light for today's cars

No one knows what the car weighs until it gets on an actual scale, with actual gas in it, in the actual real world. Any comparisons of the car's anticipated hp/weight ratio will need to wait until that point.

For all we know a ZR-1 has a better real-world power/weight ratio at this point, and a ZR-1 is nowhere near as fast to 150mph as an Aventador is.

Let's play bench-racer later, for now stick to the what we do know and can confirm.

Personally I don't think it's performance is going to be a problem, that's never been a weak point for this car during it's entire history. It will certainly be fast enough, but will it feel better behind the wheel...that's what remains to be seen.

Like someone else said, it's a love it or hate it kind of thing. Unfortunately, to me, it's still not cool. I really hate it when uncool cars are so much faster and higher performing than cool cars.

I bet this Viper wipes the floor with everything else, just like the ACR did. Oh well. Great times to be a Viper fan.